Rollin' ON my 5.0?

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rollin' ON my 5.0?

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on October 13th 2010, 10:26 pm

Today, I did a little more filler work, including on my wavy rear bumper:

And where I dinged the fender, with an engine hanging on a hoist:

I also employed one of my patented half-assed techniques, rubbing body-filler into paint cracks with my fingertip.javascript:emoticonp('Twisted Evil')

I'd like to be ready for paint in the next few weeks, but it will be cold then... I'm still very tempted to paint in cold temperatures.

I was in my local Ace today, for some sandpaper, and I asked about Penatrol, and they said that they just started carrying it today! I saw it on the shelf. I also checked out their paints. If they can mix up something really close to my original color, then I'll be tempted to stay with the red. But I'm really wanting to make it black.

So tomorrow if it's dry, I want to finish up the bumper and fender, and that will leave me with the scabby driver's door bottom edge.

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rollin' ON my 5.0?

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on October 14th 2010, 8:23 pm

Did some more work on the bumper cover today. I ended up shooting a coat of primer, but daylight had run out, so I couldn't see if I'd reduced the waves enough. I can still feel some. I still have plenty more surface prep to go here. If I'm going to use black paint, this bumper cover needs to be straighter than it was.

Driver's side is straight enough for me. (There were just some minor dings.)

Got some rust coming back on the driver's door though. Previous owner bondo'ed and primered it.

The passenger side on this car suffers from some bad bodywork. This quarter panel is bowed out around the molding-line.

My camera is a POS, so it's hard to see. Probably the same moron who did this, adjusted the front fender the same way! I fixed that. I am going to paint this quarter panel, and maybe go at it with a come-along later, but my ultimate plan is to drill that quarter off of the car, and glue on a new one, and then paint it to match.

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on October 15th 2010, 3:14 pm

I have sprayed auto paint in 45 degree weather and it took a while to harden up. If you put some hardener catalist in it you probably would be ok as long as it wasn't freezing Laughing but it would still take a long time to dry. You could just put on enough to be one color over the winter and finish it when it warms up in the spring. Actually you need to put some paint on any primer spots that went to bare metal anyway so it won't rust .
You are aware that black will make any poor body work really stand out I trust. anyway, good luck with your project.
Mike

retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on October 16th 2010, 4:07 pm

retired plumber wrote: You are aware that black will make any poor body work really stand out I trust. anyway, good luck with your project.
Mike
Sounds like a challenge. Cool

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on October 20th 2010, 4:02 pm

Yep, an eraser wheel is da shiznit!

It makes quick work of it too, but you need a corded drill - my 14.4 DeWalt made it through about half of the rear bumper... While my battery charges, I'll go back and scrape it totally clean. It appears you can merely obliterate the decal material (leaving lots of residue still on the bumper), and then go back later and manually scrape it.

Here is just 15 - 20 seconds of application:

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Poppashango on October 20th 2010, 9:28 pm

Yo Tommy! I see got that eraser wheel. Hope you got a good deal on that. That is a must have when dealing with decals. Can't wait to see your project progress.

Poppashango
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 30
Job/hobbies : Bicycle Mechanic, Custom builder and Restorer
Project : 1991 Cevy Astro Van
Registration date : 2010-10-19

View user profile http://www.roguespherecyclery.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by ANeat on October 20th 2010, 9:49 pm

Tommy keep at it while the good weather holds out thumbs up

ANeat
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 77
Job/hobbies : Machine tool repair
Project : Dodge D250
Registration date : 2010-09-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on February 19th 2011, 3:24 pm

Welp, I haven't done much with the car in months! I've driven it around the block every few weeks, and had to drive it to work for two days in December.
This week I actually worked on it. While driving around the block, I noticed that the clutch was barely releasing, and grabbing close to the floor, so I removed the factory plastic junk and installed my UPR billet aluminum clutch quadrant (the piece under the dash which "takes up" the cable like a pulley) and firewall adjuster. It now starts grabbing like halfway up.

So today I was checking out the body, and I figure that I just need to give it a good bath, fill in a few dings I hadn't noticed, remove the very ends of the tape stripe where the eraser wheel couldn't reach, and a couple other things. Then I will be ready to scuff, and start painting.

So hopefully, this thread will start seeing some action soon.

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nhmercracer on February 19th 2011, 9:23 pm

About time you did some work on that car. Wink

nhmercracer
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2010-10-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on February 20th 2011, 8:46 pm

I like what you are doing so far.

Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on February 21st 2011, 9:51 am

Tommy Hillbilly wrote: While driving around the block, I noticed that the clutch was barely releasing, and grabbing close to the floor, so I removed the factory plastic junk and installed my UPR billet aluminum clutch quadrant (the piece under the dash which "takes up" the cable like a pulley) and firewall adjuster. It now starts grabbing like halfway up.

I plan to replace my C4 with a T5 with hyd clutch setup. The T5 came out of a 86 GT and has been sitting in the garage for 5 years now.

rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nhmercracer on February 21st 2011, 8:22 pm

Don't tell anyone, but I watched Gearz on Saturday. Stacey was showing new Boss 429/460 bits. One of the parts he planned to use was a hydraulic t/o bearing. I cannot remember the manufacturers name, but you can search for the episode on the Gearz site.

nhmercracer
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on February 23rd 2011, 2:45 am

I'm thinking that hydraulic is the way to go in an old Stang. But the only way I want a hydraulic clutch, is if the slave cylinder lives outside the bellhousing.

When I had my '68 Cougar, I thought about converting it from C4 to T5. I had an extra T5 and bell, but never ran across a manual pedal assembly.

Gearz got that Cougar right after I sold mine...

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on February 23rd 2011, 5:18 pm

rmdhokie wrote:
Tommy Hillbilly wrote: While driving around the block, I noticed that the clutch was barely releasing, and grabbing close to the floor, so I removed the factory plastic junk and installed my UPR billet aluminum clutch quadrant (the piece under the dash which "takes up" the cable like a pulley) and firewall adjuster. It now starts grabbing like halfway up.

I plan to replace my C4 with a T5 with hyd clutch setup. The T5 came out of a 86 GT and has been sitting in the garage for 5 years now.

Tommy Hillbilly wrote:I'm thinking that hydraulic is the way to go in an old Stang. But the only way I want a hydraulic clutch, is if the slave cylinder lives outside the bellhousing.

When I had my '68 Cougar, I thought about converting it from C4 to T5. I had an extra T5 and bell, but never ran across a manual pedal assembly.

Gearz got that Cougar right after I sold mine...

Look for a factory set up. My 88 F150 has the Hyd throwout bearing and the clutch master cylinder is on the firewall so with all the Ford Parts out there you shpould be able to do a near factory set up using different parts.

Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on April 10th 2011, 9:17 pm

Well, today I went out there and worked on the car. I realigned the hood and made it a little better. I took off my inner door panel so I could take the mirror back off. I also swapped out the power door lock actuator while I was in there. And I removed the last of the two studs, with seized nuts, which fasten the front part of the belt line molding. (Convertible only - on non-verts, the outside rearview mirror covers this spot.) So I was finally able to trial fit my new molding piece, and discovered that the doorskin was missing a hole for the little plastic alignment tab, so I drilled a hole too. Those pieces were missing when I got the car, and it looks like someone had broken them off.
I think I'm going to paint it white because there are just too many imperfections. I'd like to get started jambing it out in the next week or so.

Sorry no pics, I need some new AAAs for my camera.

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on April 12th 2011, 11:04 pm

And tonight, between jobs, I stopped at the Tractor Supply and got me some paint. Valspar, Tractor & Implement, Heavy Duty Performance, High Gloss Enamel, in Gloss White. 1 quart. (The can really does say all those things.) I also picked up an 8 ounce can of their Enamel Hardener. I still need to pick up some Penatrol too. I also got a can of mineral spirits to wipe-down with, a pack of 4 paint pail liners, (they look like they'll do just fine without a pail) and 4 foam brushes, from 1" to 4" in width. The bill came to $44.33.

I'm thinking about starting from the bottom of the car, (all of the urethane) along with the taillights, but I guess I gotta do the jambs and the bottoms of the hood and decklid, first...

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nhmercracer on April 13th 2011, 11:04 pm

Another white enamel guy!

The only drawback to the white I have seen is this:

It is incredibly hard to wetsand outdoors. The sun reflecting off the white blinds you to the imperfections. I can find the runs in the garage, but when I move the car outside, they are lost in the brightness. I may use a pencil to mark them the next time I wetsand.

nhmercracer
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on April 14th 2011, 6:05 pm

Hmmm. Thanks for the heads-up. It's a little shaded where my car sits, so we'll see how it goes. It's a 3 day weekend for me, I have Monday off, and maybe the week after next I'll be off! Been working ALOT the past few weeks. So hopefully I'll start getting some paint on the outside of it. Might get some of the under-hood or under-trunk started tonight. I picked up some Penatrol tonight. Incidentally, my local Ace hardware is located here. How many other cars are wearing paint additives purchased in a room where the Allman Brothers played? Cool

Still ain't got camera batteries though.

Last edited by Tommy Hillbilly on May 12th 2011, 11:49 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Make link stand out more)

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on April 14th 2011, 9:08 pm

nhmercracer wrote:Another white enamel guy!

The only drawback to the white I have seen is this:

It is incredibly hard to wetsand outdoors. The sun reflecting off the white blinds you to the imperfections. I can find the runs in the garage, but when I move the car outside, they are lost in the brightness. I may use a pencil to mark them the next time I wetsand.

Same issue here and I've done it all in the garage.

rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on April 15th 2011, 6:20 pm

I'm guessing under some bright lights outside, at night, might be good for checking for evenness in the gloss and sheen? Especially with the ability to inspect the car from every angle, at a good distance. Crap! I never knew about that.

I've never had a white car before, except for an Econoline 250 which I never got running...

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nhmercracer on April 16th 2011, 10:59 pm

Tommy, I have had the best viewing on overcast days. The lack of brightness seems to make the white more like a gray, in that you can see the imperfections easier.

nhmercracer
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on April 17th 2011, 7:55 pm

I got some paint on it today. I did the trunk jambs, and pulled the tail lights and license plate, and painted behind them. For this I used a roughly 50/50 mix of paint and Penatrol with no hardener. It looked like some bubbles aren't popping, but the coverage is pretty decent. It also seems to not be drying quickly, although it is a little chilly out there today. Tomorrow I'll do another coat.

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on April 18th 2011, 12:05 am

Don't tell ME about masking... Smile

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on April 18th 2011, 9:26 am

OK, I went out there and checked the paint, and it's dry. But there are a lot of runs. I think I put it on too thick. Also, it's cold out, so if I do anything today, it will be inside. Guess I could do the tail lights.

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on April 18th 2011, 11:39 am

If your getting a lot of bubbles your mix is a little thin, when you put paint on the roller, you need to roll most of it off in the pan, so the roller is coated but no paint dripping off it, and with Penetrol don't be afraid to go back over areas that have runs with a really dry roller

T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 337
Job/hobbies : Heavy equipment operator
Project : 76 Cobra Mustang
Registration date : 2009-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content