Rollin' ON my 5.0?

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rollin' ON my 5.0?

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on July 10th 2011, 4:08 am

The later Lincoln radio doesn't appear to have a clock. (I didn't buy it...) But if you want a factory style clock in an aero-fox Mustang, it needs to be provided by the radio's frequency display. (Four-eyes need a console for a factoryish clock.)

By now, the factory cassette deck is about the only unreliable device on the car.

My AC was pretty cold four hours ago. I'll see how it is tomorrow, and next week for that matter. So is anyone here using any rolledon-style refrigerants, praytell? study
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 86 stang on August 12th 2011, 9:34 pm

can we see a close shot of of the finished thing popcorn
86 stang
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 215
Project : 86 mustang gt-vert 5-speed stick
Registration date : 2011-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on August 13th 2011, 2:35 am

I guess I could, though it's not finished...

I've been driving it to the day job, and at the night job. Some bugs have popped up though. My cruise control stopped working, and my passenger side rear window stopped working. I can hear the motor, so I think that the plastic gear broke. My driver side was like that when I got the car, and I got a new gear from NAPA. Also I can't get anything to stick to the inside rearview mirror button. It's plastic. I even tried JB Welding it to a metal button which I then glued to the windshield, but the JB Weld won't stick to the plastic either. It's almost time to move it back in the hole, and do some more work on it. I'd like to port my spare E7TE heads and put them on along with my Explorer intake. In addition to finishing the paint job.

I'll try to remember to get my camera out. Here's one from my POS cell phone.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on August 13th 2011, 11:01 pm

Did you try sanding your button a bit first (the plastic one)? that and cleaning your window with a bit of alcohol should do it, at least I would think so.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on August 14th 2011, 4:33 am

retired plumber wrote:Did you try sanding your button a bit first (the plastic one)?
Oh yeah.
that and cleaning your window with a bit of alcohol should do it, at least I would think so.
Mike
The window is good, The glue always stays with the window - or whatever is opposite that POS plastic button.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on August 14th 2011, 11:06 pm

Good luck to you then. I don't have any other advice because that has always worked for me, several times.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravatar on August 15th 2011, 2:47 pm

Hello! I just joined this site and I hope to start a similar project with my '95 Jeep Wrangler. I like what you did with the stang! Congrats! drive
Ravatar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Job/hobbies : Fixin' my Jeep....
Project : '95 Jeep Wrangler
Registration date : 2011-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on August 15th 2011, 3:33 pm

retired plumber wrote:Good luck to you then. I don't have any other advice because that has always worked for me, several times.
Mike
I'm not sure either. No other Ford button will fit, but also, it doesn't look like you can separate the "balljoints" without breaking the tube. On the older ones, there is a screw which loosens the tube, enabling you to remove the ball end of the mirror itself, and the ball end of the piece which attaches to the button.

I guess I could destroy my existing tube, freeing the mirror itself with its ball end, and then substitute the older style tube and its button. But I don't know if the balls are the same diameter.

I need to go back to the U-pull-N-pray, and check out some more mirror stuff.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on August 15th 2011, 3:37 pm

Ravatar wrote:Hello! I just joined this site and I hope to start a similar project with my '95 Jeep Wrangler. I like what you did with the stang! Congrats!
Thanks man. A Jeep ought to be a pretty easy vehicle to paint. The hood is the largest piece, and it's still not that big
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravatar on August 15th 2011, 4:17 pm

Tommy Hillbilly wrote:
Ravatar wrote:Hello! I just joined this site and I hope to start a similar project with my '95 Jeep Wrangler. I like what you did with the stang! Congrats!
Thanks man. A Jeep ought to be a pretty easy vehicle to paint. The hood is the largest piece, and it's still not that big

Yea, it shouldn't be too bad. The hardest part will be maneuvering in my small garage. Im already underway with the hood, got it primed and bondo-ed. The jeep was rolled over by a previous owner and he replaced the hood with a mismatched colored part. My wife was tired of looking at the fugly hood and told me to get to work. Gotta make the lady happy!

Painting the whole car should keep me out of bars for a few months at least. beer
Ravatar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Job/hobbies : Fixin' my Jeep....
Project : '95 Jeep Wrangler
Registration date : 2011-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on August 16th 2011, 11:26 pm

U-pull-N-pray. I love that. I'm gonna have to remember that one. Thanks
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 86 stang on August 19th 2011, 4:49 pm

mine is older style 'mirror' i think its the same as yours post a pic and ill tell ya popcorn
86 stang
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 215
Project : 86 mustang gt-vert 5-speed stick
Registration date : 2011-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on August 19th 2011, 10:40 pm

Very nice turn around Tommy, that stang looks great!

Have you ever thought about doing something with your rims?

I had alittle blue LX with rims like yours and used aircraft stripper(2 cans per rim) to remover the clear coat. Then some scotchbrite pads to rub around the edges and down all the fins and then polished the rim edges and fins my hand with some aluminum polish.

If you are interested just let me know and I can help you alittle more with details.

After about 2 hours per rim, they looked better then new and was alot easyer to keep up, not to mention the shine they put off!
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 247
Job/hobbies : snap-on tools/always testing out different techniques
Project : Hopefully a 77-81 trans-am
Registration date : 2010-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on November 17th 2011, 4:19 am

[img][/img]Here's part of the car today, out in front of my new residence. I still haven't finished sanding, let alone buffed, any of the urethane on the car. I ain't done the door jambs either.

What's my name?

I'm thinking of maybe painting it black, come spring...
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on November 17th 2011, 11:03 am

Pretty fancy house for a hillbilly!

Car is looking good too.
snafu
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on November 17th 2011, 11:07 am

Tommy Hillbilly wrote:The later Lincoln radio doesn't appear to have a clock. (I didn't buy it...) But if you want a factory style clock in an aero-fox Mustang, it needs to be provided by the radio's frequency display. (Four-eyes need a console for a factoryish clock.)

By now, the factory cassette deck is about the only unreliable device on the car.

If you can find one from a Mark VII, they do have a clock and I'm guessing they're interchangeable. A few Mark VII's came with a factory in-dash CD receiver that is very sought after today.
snafu
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on November 17th 2011, 3:34 pm

snafu wrote:Pretty fancy house for a hillbilly!

Car is looking good too.
It's been divided up into 9 apartments, and mine is the cheapest crappiest basement apartment. It's rumored to be haunted, too. It's cheaper for me to live here, and just rent out all of my own house - where I lived before.

I also have a Sony detachable face AM/FM cassette, which I could put in the car.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on February 21st 2012, 4:54 am

This year, I think I'm gonna concentrate on mechanical work, and just leave my exterior alone. It looks decent enough for another year, especially considering what it looked like in my avatar...

So today, I replaced my headers. I'd had Mac unequal lengths on there, (purchased in '05 and run on my previous Stang) but they had rotted out and developed leaks, around the collectors. Any exhaust leak before an oxygen sensor spells trouble. In my case, the leaks would actually pull fresh outside air into the exhaust stream, making the O2 sensors sense more oxygen, and causing the computer to think that there was a lean condition, and hence, send more fuel, which causes in fact, a rich condition. These were just pinholes, but I can tell that the car is the slightest bit quieter, and it seems to be idling better. I may drive it to work tomorrow, if it ain't too crappy out.
I replaced the Macs with Ford Racing M-9430-P50 headers, and I am impressed. They are made of 409 stainless, and both the port flanges, and collector flanges, are thicker than the Macs. The collector studs have positive stops, and the bolts on the cylinder head side are 3/8ths, as opposed to the 7/16ths ones which came with the Macs, allowing a little more clearance - not that it's needed. These headers are made to accommodate the GT40P heads with their revised spark plug angles, so they end up affording more clearance around the bolts. This all took me 3.5-4 hours, and I beat nightfall by a while.
I'll have to snap some pics of them on there. I took video, but it will take me forever to dump it all together so I can post it on youtube...

So next up is an Explorer intake manifold with a bigger throttle body and EGR spacer, and a Mac cold air kit. This will boost power nicely, because I separately installed both of these items on my last car. I noticed an increase in power with the cold air kit, and later an even better one with the manifold setup.
I also want to do the cap, rotor, wires and plugs, and then the O2 sensors to finish it all off.

But the car still needs shocks and struts, motor and tranny mounts, and lots of other things...
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on September 18th 2012, 8:28 pm

So I went to U-Pull-N-Pray several weeks ago, and score! I got a factory AM/FM/cassette with clock, out of a '96 Probe. It's nicer, works better, and sounds better, than my stock one.
There was a '79-or-so Cougar there, so I grabbed the mirror and the mirror button. It turns out that this button (made of metal) fits my Stang's mirror! So I glued it on and it stayed put.
Everything works on my car now, except the Engine computer is throwing lean codes. I know the O2s are shot, so I'm hoping that that's the cause.

So here are some pics with my POS camera, of the paint after 15 months or so. I've only washed it a few times, and I've never waxed it - in anticipation of more paint-work...

Chippage around the head lights. I rattle-canned this area, along with the door side moldings. The moldings have paint cracks now too.

My side molding keeps coming loose. I'd been using two-sided-tape, but now I've tried glue. The blocks hold it in place.

Door jambs... Rolling Eyes

Dirty hood.

Few chips that happened soon after the paint:

In the past year, I've added the new headers, and put on my Explorer intake manifold with bigger throttle body and spacer, along with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and pressure gauge. Then I put on my cold air intake, and tuned it up with new Motorcraft copper plugs, and an Accel rotor, cap, and wires. I also added my Taurus fan, and 3G alternator from a '94-'95 Mustang V6. All of this stuff was on my last Stang, along with the rest of the exhaust.

Explorer intake manifold, with firewall clutch cable adjuster visible:

Accel Super Stock 8mm wires and Ford Racing headers:

Mac Cold Air Intake and 3G alternator:

Throttle body:

Fuel pressure gauge:

3G alternator and Taurus fan - both courtesy of earlier visits to U-Pull-N-Pray...

Aftermarket radiator with electric fan from a Ford Taurus:

I'd like to do the O2s, (but I want to be sure that everything else is right before installing them) and then ball-joints, tie-rod ends, and struts and shocks.
The some more paint work.

Last edited by Tommy Hillbilly on September 18th 2012, 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on September 18th 2012, 9:34 pm

I know you just scored a stereo, but I can not begin to say just how much I recommend this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S50WPG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I just put one in my MGB and I'll be ordering one for the Spitfire. About $36 shipped. No cd player or cassette. It has a SD card slot, USB port, and AUX input. I listen to everything digitally now anyway. A $10 SD card got my entire collection on it (with room to spare) and in my car. The sound is very good.
superdave
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-12-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by interceptor on September 25th 2012, 12:26 am

What type of paint were you using? Is your head light digging into the bumper and causing it to crack? I've noticed my head lights are always in contact with the bumper.

I was thinking about using Rustoleum/Tremclad on my bumpers, which I haven't gotten around to doing yet, but if it doesn't stick to plastic that may be an issue.
interceptor
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-05-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on September 25th 2012, 3:05 pm

If I was going to go to a USB or memory card setup, it would be hidden. And I would install a hidden amp and speakers to back it up, and still leave a factory head unit in place.

I painted around the headlights with rustoleum from a spray bomb can. I think that spray paints have some hardener in them which the paint in the "pour" can does not. I also sprayed my door moldings and the paint cracked all to hell, where the moldings are curling away from the door skin because of the adhesive failing.

I don't think those chips are from the lights contacting the bumper, I think they were caused by the paint pealing up, underneath the lights.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on November 13th 2012, 9:45 pm

So I went to U-Pull-N-Pray today, looking for some parts for my crappy old Corolla.

Modified fuel pump access...

Twisted Evil
So anyway, I came upon this:

Sad
It was a pretty nice car and had T-tops which are rare on aero-foxes ('87-'88 only). The odometer indicated 89,000 miles, and the digits were all perfectly aligned (an indication of an odometer which has not rolled over 100,000) and the interior was pretty decent. The blue was a repaint and had more some serious metal flakes in it. They also bothered to paint the engine bay black. The car had been red like mine. It was all complete too, except the engine and automatic tranny were gone. The hatch was dented, and the spoiler gone. Other than that, it could've been easily fixed up for driving.
So I took the plastic cowl vent. Mine is broken from the hood catching it while opening. I can't think of anything else I need, but I wouldn't mind getting the door moldings, as mine have some warpage.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on September 3rd 2013, 7:11 pm

So my front bumper cover and the leading edges of my hood were showing some chips and peels. Today I went out there and did some touch-up with a foam brush.  I'll have to make a few more passes.
Before:  

After:

I need to do some more touch up, and this fall/winter, I hope to get and install new motor mounts and new shocks and struts.
Mechanically, this car will be close to 100% once those things are done. I finally got it fixed up enough that there are no more error codes in the computer, and it's running really smooth with more power, and it's getting better mileage - which is still sucky mileage, but hey, what the hell... It had some vacuum leaks, and one of the computer controlled vacuum switches was leaking vacuum, as well as mis-routing Thermactor air from the smog pump.
Maybe this winter I will go to You-Pull-N-Pray, and get me some Explorer heads. I would need to do some drilling on them in order to make them work with the smog pump, and not cause the computer to throw any codes.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on September 4th 2013, 6:24 pm

Did a little more today. Deeper into the door jambs:

Under the belt trim:

Bumper was the worst. Starting to come around though.

This car needs a few more coats. Some of the paint seems chalky, and I don't have full opaque coverage in some places.

They're never done...
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content