Rollin' ON my 5.0?

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rollin' ON my 5.0?

Post by nhmercracer on April 19th 2011, 10:52 pm

Hehe... masking...hehe.

I have tons of runs on the door jams. I have decided to nothing about it. At first I was not happy about it, but as the rust disappeared, it bothered me less and less.
nhmercracer
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2010-10-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on April 19th 2011, 11:04 pm

I don't know how many cars I have painted for my self and gone back and redid them several times because I was not happy with the outcome in places because I knew I could do better and I did better the next time. However.....................there comes a time when you just have to say, thats it. Finished.
Had a 1950 merc lead sled I painted 6 times before I came to that point when in reality 3 would have been enough. Laughing .
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nhmercracer on April 19th 2011, 11:25 pm

retired plumber wrote:....there comes a time when you just have to say, thats it. Finished.

Mike

Words of wisdom.
nhmercracer
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on April 21st 2011, 5:55 pm

Last edited by Tommy Hillbilly on April 22nd 2011, 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moving Pictures)
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on April 21st 2011, 8:18 pm

Tail lights after today's coat: (First was Monday.)
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nhmercracer on April 21st 2011, 10:50 pm

Keep up the progress!
nhmercracer
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on April 22nd 2011, 4:36 pm

nhmercracer wrote:Keep up the progress!
It's pissy out today, chilly and raining, so I worked inside removing the last of the rivets and the one seized/broken bolt ferrule, which secure the luggage rack. Maybe I'll get this deck-lid cut in, so that I can install it onto the car on the next nice day. This lid was also white when I bought it, but unfortunately I painted the bottom red, in anticipation of keeping the car the factory color. Fortunately, I never sanded the paint, so it chips off easily. (Anyone else noticed that rattle-can paint is way more chip resistant after being sanded and buffed?)
I also brought in my tail lights, so maybe I can get another coat on them in here.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on April 22nd 2011, 7:26 pm

Tommy,
Just a suggestion here....from the pics above you're getting runs that will be a PIA to sand out. To prevent that, try and soak the roller in the paint and roll as much paint back in the paint tray as possible....to almost a dry roller.

I never worried about coverage (that will come with multiple coats) I focused on spreading the paint as thin as possible. You won't get runs and your paint will dry quicker too, which will only help if you're painting outside. Again, just a suggestion...keep at it and the pics coming. Very Happy
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on April 22nd 2011, 8:31 pm

^^^ What he said. Also very good advice.
A run in your door jamb may be ok but not outside where it will be seen. Since you are going to all the work to do a rollon job you might as well make it look like a pro did it and you can. There have been a couple of cars here that have won best paint awards at car shown. A blue 57 chevy comes to mind but I know there are a couple of others also.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on April 22nd 2011, 9:53 pm

That's why I'm starting with the less visible parts. I need to get a feel for this, and learn patience lol... Don't get me wrong, this is one of the more half-assed jobs you'll see here. I'm really just wanting to get it all one color, so it will be less intimidating and more manageable to go back and fix all the spots which still need work. I've done plenty of sanding in my life already, a little more doesn't faze me.

And I don't have a roller yet - all work so far was done with a 1 inch foam brush.

I put another coat on the tail lights this afternoon, and will hit 'em with some 800 grit once they're fully dry. I have them each sitting on a radiator in my house, so hopefully they'll harden up quicker. I also hit the cut-in spots on the new deck lid so I can get that on the car, Once I'm happy with the tails, I'll put them on, and my trunk-and-rear bumper cut in will be pretty much finished. Then it's on to the door jambs and hood "jambs."
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on April 23rd 2011, 9:57 pm

Yeah, my tail lights were a little drippy... So today I hit 'em with some 220 grit and got them pretty decent. Only rubbed through on a couple of spots. So I figure I'll take the above advice, and proceed with a few more light coats, and be done with them. I want to leave them "wet," with no sand and buff, because there are still some low shiny spots. They weren't flat to begin with, and the car has been repainted at least once already. I do need to find a way to buff the actual lenses though.
I'm off till the 28th at the day job, and only working two nights, so I'm hoping for some good weather, and to make some real progress.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nhmercracer on April 24th 2011, 10:34 am

I did that with some of the bumper parts, the mirror covers, and some other pieces. Just used two coats of carnuba once the parts were thoroughly dry.
nhmercracer
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on April 24th 2011, 5:49 pm

OK, I did another coat on the tail lights, and did the underside of the decklid. I guess I should hit it with a rattle can too, in order to obliterate all of the overspray into the nooks and crannies, from when I painted it red.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on April 27th 2011, 3:57 pm

I've done a few more coats and some sanding on the lights, and they're nearly done. I might do one more coat of mostly Penatrol. That stuff really does wonders for the paint. Also, I notice that the paint takes much longer to dry on plastic, that it does on metal.
I have my deck lid ready to go on the car. The underside is quite sloppy as I was going for coverage, but I'll just hit it with some sandpaper, and it should be good enough for now. I still have another lid too.
I also picked up a two hinge pin and bushing kits for the passenger door. It had to be lifted to get it to latch shut.

Next up are the door jambs. I will take my time, and go for a good smooooth job here, as these are seen a little more often than the trunk.

I had all of those days off, but the weather sucked! Maybe the weekend will be nice.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on May 2nd 2011, 6:31 pm

The tail lights are close. I have probably 6 or 8 coats on them. Each of the last 3 I thought would be the last, but brush strokes and grit necessitated sanding. They're going to get sanded again, and I'm not sure if I'll buff them or hit them with a final coat. The masking was a chore, but the unmasking was way worse. It involved a razor blade. On the passenger side tail light, you might be able to see that I've razor bladed out the step-down from the painted portion to the lens. That was a beeyotch, and involved more razor blade, and a few accidental cuts to up into the parts intended stay painted. I went back with sand paper and a scraper, and cleaned up the area, and then did some light sanding with 1000, and then touched up all of the cuts and tears. The paint is still soft in these areas. The driver side light has only had the tape pulled so far.
Here is the passenger side cleaned up:

Driver side with overlap and bleed-through/under still there:

Passenger side with step-to-lens transition cleaned up.

Both of them:

I also got the new decklid on:

I had to enlarge the holes in order to center it, and discovered that the hack PO left out the two small screws on each hinge, only using the larger bolt.
I got everything on the lid working, the cargo light, the automatic trunk release, the license plate lights, and the high-mount brake light.

I also installed my new hinge-pins and bushings on the passenger side door.

So next up, is going back over the trunk jambs and doing door jambs, and the rest of the cut-in stuff. Except under the hood, I'll leave that for last, after the whole car is finished.

Still coldish and pissing here though...
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on May 2nd 2011, 6:41 pm

Nice progress on the lens...masking those must have been a pain. Got any closeups of the new deck lid?
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on May 3rd 2011, 9:48 pm

Can get some. I work both jobs today and tomorrow, but then I have Thursday and Friday nights, and the weekend.

Last night after my post, I razor-bladed the step to the lenses on the driver side tail light, but still need to do some scraping, and clean the lenses themselves. Then it's either a sand and buff, or a final CAREFUL unmasked coat.

I need to start using my camcorder for stillshots. It's a cheap POS too, but has over one mega pixel, unlike my cheap POS, walmart, child's camera that I got for $15, 5 years ago.

Last edited by Tommy Hillbilly on May 3rd 2011, 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added picture)
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on May 6th 2011, 6:03 pm

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on May 10th 2011, 1:40 pm

OK, so yesterday, I painted all day. I had been thinning with just Penatrol, but I think I will start adding mineral spirits too. I dipped my brush in my pail liner of thinner, and for the heck of it, tried dabbing the car with it. I was rewarded with way more coverage than I had been getting. I also had some wicked brush stroke texture on my decklid, so I did a little sanding, and hit it with my new thinner mix. Then after it was pretty well set up, I tried dragging a virgin brush over it, and it looked like it helped. I went out there today to snap some pics, and the decklid is remarkably smooth. I can still see those brush strokes, but can barely feel them. It was starting to rain when I snapped the pics, so no painting today.
I also used my rattle can for some hard-to-reach areas, like the spats in front of the rear wheels, and the "Mustang GT" nomenclature on the ground effects.
Some snags were running into some tar in the passenger side front wheel well, and running into some red sanding dust, giving the paint in that area a pinkish tinge. I will do my final coats of the whole car with a fresh pail liner and brush, so as to lay down the most brilliant white possible with this paint.
I am skipping using the enamel hardener too.

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on May 12th 2011, 11:29 pm

So today I put some more paint on the car, and was getting discouraged at sanding my decklid with 320, and getting good coverage with a brush. Then it started raining. So I went down to ACE hardware, and got me some 220, and a 4 inch roller and a pack of 8 foam pads.
The weather was good when I got home, so I hit the decklid with the 220, and it was really knocking down the high spots with only one rub-through! But daylight ran out...
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on May 19th 2011, 10:00 pm

Finally got to work on it today, after a solid week of rain and cold.
" border="0" />
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on May 20th 2011, 10:22 am

She's white! Looks like some good progress there.

Have you tried the roller yet?
snafu
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on May 20th 2011, 11:02 am

snafu wrote:She's white! Looks like some good progress there.
After those pics, I painted the hood, cowl, and top of the pass side fender.

My plan of action now, is to get the trunk, rear bumper, hood, and the whole driver's side fully coated and 400 grit smooth, and then turn the car around, and do the passenger side. I ended up stripping the new paint off of the pass side quarter panel, and ground effects. It didn't take much effort - I'd painted those areas after I'd run into the tar in the front pass wheel well, and when I went to sand, it just tore off the car in sheets!

So when I go to do that side, I'm going to give it a bath in brake parts cleaner or acetone or something. I also stopped using that brush and buckets. I'm also saving that wheel well for the rattlecan...

That is one drawback to this method. Any surface contamination can grow/spread exponentially, real fast! Kinda gives you an idea of the quality of my prep...Rolling Eyes But hey, what's my name? Twisted Evil

Have you tried the roller yet?
I was going to yesterday, but discovered that the pads don't fit the roller! I guess I just assumed that they would, seeing as how they both came from the same place... But that's just me...
I ran out of paint yesterday, too.
So I need to go down to ace, make an exchange, (or return if nothing they have works together), grab some of their white oil-based paint and maybe some 400 grit.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on May 20th 2011, 12:15 pm

So I got a quart of rustoleum gloss white, the proper roller, and a tray, and some 600.

Should have more pics tonight.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GreenMachine on May 20th 2011, 12:41 pm

What are you going to do with luggage rack/third brake light?

I really like the notchbacks and convertibles, but with spoilers. Does anyone know if any of the notchbacks have t-tops or was it just hatchbacks?
GreenMachine
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-12-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next