1989 F-250 Marine Topside Navy Blue

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1989 F-250 Marine Topside Navy Blue

Post by swift4u0076 on October 20th 2010, 4:59 pm

Hey guys, I got a lot of help from this site so I'd figure I would post this up there just for a little inspiration for people that are maybe on the fence about doing this. I feel this is the perfect way to go about making something that you want to look better, but just dont care enough to go spend a few hundred dollars on a paint job. I bought this plow truck for cheap, with just under 100k miles and just wanted it to look better but not spending over half the initial cost on a paintjob.

Original

As you can see the paint faded right down to the metal and started to rust. On the front half of the truck the paint would flick right off with your finger. This caused a lot of feathering in from bare metal into primer or paint in some spots. The whole hood had to be completely stripped. I wasn't going for perfect with this truck, and its a good thing because I wasn't getting anywhere close.

Primered

First Coat

I used a 50 50 mix of the paint and penetrol. No mineral spirits. I felt that it would go on quicker, because I wasn't trying to wait around for 10 coats, I'm running out of good weather. After seeing some pics of the navy blue, i added a bit of black to each batch of paint to darken it out. Also with the whole car being primered, I got close to full coverage on the first coat. It already looked better then beforehand.

Second Coat

Same 50 50 mix. Already have some shine. After this dries, I'll be hitting it with a 800 grit wet sand. Once again, I'm not going for perfect so I'm not going to mess around with 600 grit. Honestly, if I had to stop here and drive it around like this I wouldn't be mad at all haha it already looks much better. I'll update this with the next couple of coats. I'm shooting for 5 coats and calling it a day.
swift4u0076
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-10-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1989 F-250 Marine Topside Navy Blue

Post by ANeat on October 20th 2010, 5:58 pm

Great truck, almost deja-vu. You going to re-install the bedliner?

I know I was real happy with the Penetrol using 50% paint 25% penetrol and 25% mineral spirits.

Its looking good, It will be like having a new truck.....
ANeat
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 77
Job/hobbies : Machine tool repair
Project : Dodge D250
Registration date : 2010-09-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by swift4u0076 on October 20th 2010, 8:10 pm

Thanks, I remember looking at your truck and hoping for the same results hah. The bed liner is trash, it was screwed in randomly, cut up, and poor fitting. Im going to buy some herculiner. Sure it will cost as much as my paint job bit I feel it will look much better.
swift4u0076
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ANeat on October 20th 2010, 8:56 pm

I think the roll in bedliners are well worth it. Your truck looks real solid, so many trucks around those years are just rotted out. Even more so if they have a mount for a snow blade Laughing

Just guessing but you may even have a 1 ton axle on the back end. Very nice
ANeat
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by swift4u0076 on November 3rd 2010, 1:42 pm

Well..I only got one more coat on and decided to wrap it up. This is without any sanding at all haha. Looks good enough for me for now, if I want to I can always just sand and start right back up, I have a whole other quart of paint to work with, the weather is just way too cold right now. Still has some shine. Dont mind the roof though lol, and the truck is pretty dirty.

swift4u0076
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mapexgurl on November 3rd 2010, 2:24 pm

That's what's great about this paint. You can stop any time and always go back and do more with out any ill effects. Looks good!
mapexgurl
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 98
Project : '72 Charger
Registration date : 2009-07-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ANeat on November 3rd 2010, 7:06 pm

Nice, even got a 4X4 decal thumbs up
ANeat
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by swift4u0076 on November 3rd 2010, 9:07 pm

Yea, I bought OEM 95-97 hubcaps too but they didnt fit, go figure. I don't think they would have looked good with the blue(purple) paint haha. Going to try and find some older oem caps or just repaint the wheels grey.
swift4u0076
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top