Time Saving Technique - CHALLENGE!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Time Saving Technique - CHALLENGE!

Post by justin3219 on October 23rd 2010, 3:54 pm

Time saving technique - CHALLENGE!

I really like the roll on paint job technique b/c it solves problems for so many people.
There is one major drawback...the amount of time it takes.

Here is a challenge I would like to issue to those of you who are currently getting fantastic (professional) quality results with your rolled on projects:

Try painting a peice with your proven method EXCEPT instead of sanding between each coat, or every other coat, do ALL of your color sanding AT THE END. Maybe you can split the test panel in half, sanding every coat or two on one side and the other side only gets the color sand after the very last coat.
Then polish & buff as you normally would.

Post pics and your thoughts on the difference. Both on time and finish quality.

Here's what I'm thinking:
I know that each coat will have orange peel and that the unevenness will only look worse after each subsequent coat BUT I'm thinking that if one can apply decent coverage on each pass, then after the normal number of layers, the minimum paint thickness (in the low points) will be at least what you would have ended up with otherwise. Then color sand, polish, & buff after appropriate drying/curing time has passed.

The logical arguments against this are:

1. You will have much more sanding to do at the end. Which is true. But since there was no color sanding between each coat, you should be able to lay your coats within the recoat window, and not have to wait so long for the paint to harden enough to sand correctly each time. This could shorten the project considerably.

2. Paint may flake if it doesn't have a rough surface to adhease to. When cars are sprayed, they usually don't sand between coats. They just recoat within the re-coat window and the paint bonds together nicely. This is generally a few minutes between coats. Maybe you could have 10 coats on in a matter of a few hours! If it doesnt flake off for the sprayers, why would it flake off for rollers?

3. The peaks of the orange peel might be so tall that only they would get new coats of paint (because the rollers would only ride the peaks) but the valleys may be left dry thus the minimum thickness will never get thick enough to give proper coverage. Maybe. But I'm thinking that if a person was attentive, they could get a reasonably even coat, each time, even though it would look progressively worse to the human eye. (Until the color sand process begins.)

MY HYPOTHESIS: I think that, in the end, one could get the paint as flat as they would have by sanding each layer individually, and that the resultant overall thickness would be equal to or greater than what it would have been otherwise due to the effects of partially sanding each layer. This could give better coverage, therefore "possibly" requiring less layers and meaning less time and materials.

Assumming the same final flattness could be acheived, I see no reason that the same gloss and brilliance would not result.

Those of you with skills - give it a shot, and let us know if this works!
If not, what would we need to do to make it work?

Thanks and happy painting!
justin3219
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-10-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Time Saving Technique - CHALLENGE!

Post by ANeat on October 23rd 2010, 5:43 pm

Here is one example of what youre talking about.

When I recently did my truck I went ahead and tried the tailgate with no sanding.

Not the best pic, and its not even been final sanded, buffed or anything.

This is 5 coats, with absolutly no sanding at all between coats.

Now on my truck I just did minimal sanding. It was outside so there always seemed to be a few bugs that got sanded out (ouch) (I did the tailgate in the garage) and honestly the sanding I did wasnt too bad. Probably less than 1 hour to completly wet sand and wipe down a full sized pickup.

I wasnt trying for a show finish by any means but I am really pleased with how it turned out

ANeat
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 77
Job/hobbies : Machine tool repair
Project : Dodge D250
Registration date : 2010-09-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by justin3219 on October 24th 2010, 3:52 pm

So you are saying that you think a person could get a professional result without sanding in between the coats? (even though that wasn't your aim on this truck)

It's great that you got a finish you are happy with on your truck. From the pic you posted looks like it turned out nice. Good work.

Probably not many of us here are looking for a "show finish" either, but I would like to be able to achieve a result that would look like a professional paint job.

Something where people driving in the next lane wouldn't be able to tell it wasn't stock or even most people getting into the car (without me having to point out the flaws myself) IE:"See, there's a little run here, and a blemish there"

I am assuming that there would be the exact same amount of prep before the coats of paint go on. Not even thinking for a moment that the prep could be scrimped on.

Just wondering how necessary all the sandings in between are. (And still achieve something that could pass for stock to the casual observer)

Adam, thanks for your thoughts!
justin3219
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-10-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ANeat on October 24th 2010, 4:45 pm

I think guys sand to minimize the orange peel and remove anything that may have gotten on the paint between coats.

If youre starting to get orange peel then sand so the next coats will lay down flatter

Now what causes the orange peel in the first place? Honestly in this situation there are a lot of variables. I think one big cause may be re-coating too soon. Could also be the weather, the mix % or some combination of all the variables.
Ive heard some guys will re-coat in 12 hours, I waited 24 hours between coats just because thats how my schedule worked out.

Honestly I thought it would be a one shot deal for me but I enjoyed the process a lot and I may do a little experimenting on something else.

Get each coat to lay down flat and keep the bugs off of it and there is no reason why a person couldnt lay down all the coats needed without any sanding.
I think for the final shine a good wetsanding/buffing would really set it off.

The guys/gals here that have put more effort into it get fantastic results; that rival any paint job Ive seen.

Ive got a couple un-biased opinions on mine and they comment that it compares to any of the "bargain" paint jobs out there that just lay on one color with no clear
ANeat
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 77
Job/hobbies : Machine tool repair
Project : Dodge D250
Registration date : 2010-09-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content