'98 International 9300

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

'98 International 9300

Post by joshc on November 24th 2010, 11:15 pm

Hey folks, I'm borderline committing blasphemy here, since I've decided to spray my truck instead of rolling it, but I wanted to share my project since I've gotten so much good information here. I decided to spray vs roll since I make my living with this truck, and waiting around for 10-12 coats of rolled on paint to dry just really wasn't a good option for me, and I already had a compressor big enough to run a hvlp gun. At any rate, here's a before picture from far enough away that it looks pretty good.

I may try to find a closer picture later so you can see how bad the paint was.

So blasphemy #2 is that I'm also spraying with a two part urethane, not Rustoleum. I got it at a commercial/industrial paint place here in Knoxville, and it came to about $47/gallon, color matched. The name of the stuff is Carboline Multi-Gard 46. I actually asked them to mix it just a smidgen darker than the factory paint, and judging by the test sheet that gave me, they nailed what I was looking for.

I got started stripping stuff off on Sunday, but I've had some other business to attend to and it rained all day yesterday, so I'm just now finishing pulling everything off and getting the old paint scuffed. I'll try to take some pictures and update tomorrow, for now, the Rockford Files is starting..Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Last edited by joshc on December 4th 2010, 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
joshc
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 30
Job/hobbies : Trailer Truckin'
Project : '98 Cornbinder
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: '98 International 9300

Post by Roadking41a on November 24th 2010, 11:43 pm

You're off to a great start. That is one big job.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on November 25th 2010, 2:49 am

Very cool project, I'm a driver also, I will be following along.

What motor, and how much HP, Nice front bumper

T.
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 337
Job/hobbies : Heavy equipment operator
Project : 76 Cobra Mustang
Registration date : 2009-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joshc on November 25th 2010, 9:07 am

Thanks guys, It is a big job, but I think (or at least I hope) the hardest part is going to be the seized fasteners that have been on this thing for the last 1.6 million miles. The masking should be pretty straightforward since the bottom of the cab is flat. I forgot to put this in last night, but I will most likely be rolling the center part of the roof. I don't have enough (borrowed) scaffolding to get over the top of the truck, and I'm not crazy about the idea of walking on fiberglass that wasn't made to support weight.

That front bumper is actually coming off, you can't see it in the pictures, but I got backed into at a truckstop a couple of weeks ago, and it bent it back and scratched it on the passenger side. The engine is a 3406E, and you may or may not believe this, but it's doing about 675-700hp. I'm running a 2300 rpm 600hp brakesaver file in it, along with a few other little things to get it there. I take off at a snail's pace from a dead stop, and pretty regularly irritate guys that are used to flooring it in every gear, but I rarely get passed on a hill and get 6.5mpg or better doing it, which is pretty good for what I do.

I'm gonna get after it, holler at ya'll this evening.
joshc
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on November 25th 2010, 4:54 pm

Cat power....FTW....

T.
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on November 26th 2010, 1:41 am

Nice rig.

I drive too - pizza delivery that is...

We're junior gear-jammers.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joshc on November 26th 2010, 9:09 am

Tommy Hillbilly wrote:Nice rig.

I drive too - pizza delivery that is...

We're junior gear-jammers.

My buddy Ted always says "Truckin' ain't about makin' money-it's about ridinarounlookingood." Sounds like you've got it covered to me. Very Happy (I probably would have made better money delivering pizza 30 hours a week than I did trucking 60 hours last year)

Last edited by joshc on November 26th 2010, 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
joshc
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joshc on November 26th 2010, 9:47 am

T.Hadley wrote:Cat power....FTW....

T.

Yessir, until '07 emissions anyway..

I got on here and wrote up a pretty long update last night-and I managed to erase it. The long and short of it is I spent most of the day yesterday working on tedious little stuff that's hard to see. I spent the better part of two hours cutting the headlight bucket out of the passenger side. It got damaged when I got backed into, so it had to be replaced. Then I started trying to take the bolts out of the back of the sleeper that used to hold in the aerodynamic sleeper extensions (or whatever they're called). Of course, most of them spun around in their fasteners, so I started grinding them down..

And here's the after, on a different bolt-

I'm posting this one again because it kind of shows how the clear coat's peeling off, at the top back of the sleeper. I'm also going to be cutting off the tabs with the holes in them you can see on the back of the sleeper. They're also on there to hold the sleeper extensions, I'm never going to put them back on since I pull a flatbed, and I'd like to get those corners rounded off, I think it'll look better.

I'll also be filling in the small hole on the driver's side, it's where the trailer light pigtail used to plug in, I've got a guy coming out tomorrow to weld up a box to put on the frame that it and the air lines will be plugging into.

I was initially trying to get this thing done by Monday, but the loads I had lined up have been pushed back to the middle of December, so I don't have anything pressing now. If I get all that ground down and bondo on it today, I'll be happy. Maybe then I can get it primed tomorrow and finally start painting on Sunday, and have it done and back on the road by Wednesday. I'm going to take my time and get it done right though. I'm going to let the paint cure for a couple of months before I do any wet sanding or polishing.

Here's old Oscar at the end of the day yesterday, looking pretty mean I think-

I'm also going to get my metal guy to make a base for my new hood ornament, I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards something like this-

(Image from 3000toys.com)

I'm planning on painting the stainless grill surround, but leaving the grill itself bare. Alright, I guess I'm going to sit around and hope it quits raining by lunchtime like it's supposed to.
joshc
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on November 26th 2010, 11:50 am

Wow... You are making great progress..
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Too cold for bondo..

Post by joshc on November 26th 2010, 8:10 pm

Roadking41a wrote:Wow... You are making great progress..

'preciate that, it sure doesn't feel like it on this slow work.

It did quit raining around 11:00, but it stayed pretty cold-compared to yesterday when it got up to the low 70s anyway. We got the tabs on the back of the sleeper sawzalled off pretty quick, but getting the corners ground down to my satisfaction took most of the rest of the day. Of course, there was a pretty long lunch run followed by a football intermission thrown in there..It's just as well, I wasn't comfortable doing bondo today, even if I pre-heated the metal, I was afraid it would still be too cold for the bondo to set up right. It's supposed to be in the mid-fifties tomorrow, so hopefully I can get it warm enough for it to act right. Mike pretty well finished getting everything else sanded, so hopefully I can get the rest of the paint off the corners and take the heat gun to them and have this thing ready to paint by Sunday.

Here's the corner, mostly ground down at this point-

Here's a little closer picture of the corner-

I'm going to bondo from the seam on the left to the second seam on the right, and try to round the corner off as much as I can so that it matches the corner on the sleeper. Mike pointed out that the curve is about the same size and shape as the corner of a milk jug, so we're going to try to use it to sand the bondo to shape. We'll see how that goes.

And here's my co-pilot, Jasper, wondering why I'm tearing his truck up and why he can't get in-

And since the overall truck doesn't really look any different than yesterday, here's the sunset as a consolation prize-

Seeing these pictures like this makes me want to get the real camera out instead of taking them with my phone, but I guess they get the point across. Thanks for the support guys, ya'll wish a heat wave my way!

Last edited by joshc on November 26th 2010, 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
joshc
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rustycarr on November 26th 2010, 8:21 pm

dude great work, but are you really 87 years young?
rustycarr
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-11-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on November 26th 2010, 8:49 pm

joshc wrote:
Roadking41a wrote:Wow... You are making great progress..

'preciate that, it sure doesn't feel like it on this slow work.

It did quit raining around 11:00, but it stayed pretty cold-compared to yesterday when it got up to the low 70s anyway. We got the tabs on the back of the sleeper sawzalled off pretty quick, but getting the corners ground down to my satisfaction took most of the rest of the day. Of course, there was a pretty long lunch run followed by a football intermission thrown in there..It's just as well, I wasn't comfortable doing bondo today, even if I pre-heated the metal, I was afraid it would still be too cold for the bondo to set up right. It's supposed to be in the mid-fifties tomorrow, so hopefully I can get it warm enough for it to act right. Mike pretty well finished getting everything else sanded, so hopefully I can get the rest of the paint off the corners and take the heat gun to them and have this thing ready to pain.

Here's the corner, mostly ground down at this point-

Here's a little closer picture of the corner-

I'm going to bondo from the seam on the left to the second seam on the right, and try to round the corner off as much as I can so that it matches the corner on the sleeper. Mike pointed out that the curve is about the same size and shape as the corner of a milk jug, so we're going to try to use it to sand the bondo to shape. We'll see how that goes.

And here's my co-pilot, Jasper, wondering why I'm tearing his truck up and why he can't get in-

And since the overall truck doesn't really look any different than yesterday, here's the sunset as a consolation prize-

Seeing these pictures like this makes me want to get the real camera out instead of taking them with my phone, but I guess they get the point across. Thanks for the support guys, ya'll wish a heat wave my way!

I like your helper. Looks like Jasper is doing a good job of Supervising.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joshc on November 26th 2010, 9:00 pm

rustycarr wrote:dude great work, but are you really 87 years young?

Ha! No I need to get in my profile and fix that I guess, I'm 30. Jasper's a pretty good ole' dog, he does a good job making sure I spend an hour or so walking at the end of the day instead of sitting around in the truck waiting to go to sleep. I really do appreciate the encouragement guys.
joshc
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kx59 on November 27th 2010, 4:57 pm

wow...I thought I'd taken on a big project with my Astro. what are you using to get to the roof of that rig?
kx59
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on November 27th 2010, 5:30 pm

rustycarr wrote:dude great work, but are you really 87 years young?

I think we all should lie about our age.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kx59 on November 27th 2010, 6:47 pm

well ok then..in my mind I'm 25...if only my body would agree... Suspect
kx59
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joshc on November 27th 2010, 7:29 pm

Well, seeing as how it was colder than snot this morning, I went out to eat breakfast with some folks, and then went looking for body filler (in futility). Anybody have any suggestions on what kind of filler to use in colder temperatures? 3M recommends temps above 64 for the Bondo brand stuff, I haven't seen anything else that says it's good for colder temps. I may end up using something like JB weld. At its thickest point it'll be about 3/16" thick, and it's really just got to stick to the metal and keep the primer stuck to it. I used the Bondo short hair fiberglass filler on top of a fiberglass cloth and resin when a buddy repaired the damage to the hood below the headlight bucket, and I still have some left over, but it was warmer then and that was fiberglass to fiberglass, not fiberglass to aluminum. If I end up doing it with the fiberglass filler, I'll probably put a piece of fiberglass cloth with resin on first to give it some meat, then the fiberglass filler, then a very thin coat of regular Bondo. I'm certainly open to suggestions, as far as materials anyway, I don't have a good way to heat the body up and keep it hot while the filler cures, I already thought of that.

At any rate-by the time I got done fooling around, it was 1:00 before I really got started on the truck, but this is sort of a working vacation, so I didn't beat up on myself too hard. Really all I did today was get a little more picky about how the corners of the sleeper I ground down looked, and I'm finally pretty happy with the work-

That's all I've got for today, I ran out of memory on my phone, but I really didn't have anything else to take pictures of. Ya'll try to keep the lying down to a bare minimum, I'd hate for you to forget what you were lying about.
joshc
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on November 27th 2010, 7:46 pm

Too bad you don't have a garage.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joshc on November 27th 2010, 7:53 pm

Roadking41a wrote:Too bad you don't have a garage.

Yeah, no kidding, that's kind of a dream of mine, a 20'x80' shop with a 14' door. Worse comes to worse, I think it'll be warm enough here on Monday to Bondo.
joshc
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on November 27th 2010, 7:56 pm

Our high for the next 2 days here is 52* once we get moved I'm buying a carport and enclosing it.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on November 27th 2010, 11:50 pm

If you need to go very thick use the fiberglass type filler, I have used Bondo glass and it seems to work well.

But on your finish filler stay away from bondo brand, get some of this type it is great stuff.

I don't know what the temp minimum is for body fillers is, maybe your local auto body supply store for that info

http://www.u-pol.com/datasheets/tds/FLY-TDS-EN_3.pdf
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joshc on November 28th 2010, 1:43 am

T.Hadley wrote:If you need to go very thick use the fiberglass type filler, I have used Bondo glass and it seems to work well.

But on your finish filler stay away from bondo brand, get some of this type it is great stuff.

I don't know what the temp minimum is for body fillers is, maybe your local auto body supply store for that info

http://www.u-pol.com/datasheets/tds/FLY-TDS-EN_3.pdf

The Bondo glass I used on the hood seems like pretty good stuff, it's really not a very thick area, it's just going to be a fairly big area, about 4' tall and about 2.5" wide, with a 90*curve in between. I probably will just wait until Monday when I can shop around, and it should be warm enough Monday afternoon to get it done anyway. I may start putting primer on everything else tomorrow.
joshc
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joshc on November 29th 2010, 10:56 pm

Well, not much progress to report-I ended up going out to lunch after church yesterday, and it was 2:00 before I got home and got back to work. I really just messed around for an hour or so, sanding around some rivets trying to make sure I got the paint around them roughed up good.

I did use a blow dryer to get some stuff heated up enough to make sure there wasn't any moisture, and got about 2/3 of the bondo work done. I bought some filler that seems to be better than the Bondo brand stuff, but I can't remember the name right off. It specifically said on the label to apply thinner coats and allow a longer dry time in colder weather, and it does seem likes it's cured all the way through. I got a little sloppy with it in a couple of places, so I've got some sanding to do to finish it out, but that's OK. It's raining now, and is supposed to be until Wednesday morning, so I probably won't do much tomorrow. I may check around town to see if I can find some good insulation to put inside the hood while I've got everything torn down. I've got some secretarial stuff to catch up on, I guess I could do that..I'll take some pictures if ever actually make any more progress.
joshc
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on November 30th 2010, 12:03 am

Post what kind of filler you bought later so I know what to get. It might be a little slow, but look at the progress you making. This time of the year you are doing great IMO. Very Happy
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joshc on November 30th 2010, 11:34 am

The stuff I got is Master-Pro. Maybe you should let me report back in six months on how good it really is Smile

Yeah, I guess the progress is really pretty good, and if I hadn't decided to shave off those tabs and fill in all the bolt holes instead of just painting them, I'd be done. I got a quote from about the only place in town that I would trust to paint this thing, and it was $4k, and that was just for prep and painting, with me taking everything off in their parking lot, and then putting it back together when they got done. They also wanted it for a week and a half, so I probably would have had two weeks in it by the time it was said and done. So if I'd just taken it to them and had them do everything I'm doing, I'd probably be looking at more like $8-9k. I never would have spent that kind of money on this truck, but it's nice for perspective..
joshc
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content