'98 International 9300

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: '98 International 9300

Post by Roadking41a on November 30th 2010, 12:02 pm

That is a big chunk of change. thanks for the name of filler.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on November 30th 2010, 12:30 pm

Thanks for sharing your project.

I do hope you have a good respirator if you're spraying urethane. You don't want to be breathing that stuff at all.
snafu
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joshc on November 30th 2010, 3:23 pm

snafu wrote:Thanks for sharing your project.

I do hope you have a good respirator if you're spraying urethane. You don't want to be breathing that stuff at all.

Yeah, the fumes were actually the reason I was most hesitant about spraying that stuff, those ISOs have the potential to be pretty nasty. I have a beard, and I can't really get a respirator to seal up on my face good so I think I'm going to let Mike (my buddy that's been helping me with this) do the actual spraying, he's clean-shaven, and he also has some experience spraying. It's the wrong time of year to think about shaving! I may spray some of the small stuff, and I'm planning on rolling some of the detail stuff, like the door jambs.
joshc
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 30
Job/hobbies : Trailer Truckin'
Project : '98 Cornbinder
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joshc on December 4th 2010, 12:02 am

Well, I'm not going to make any big predictions, but it looks like I might actually start painting tomorrow-if the rain holds off. I've gotten a little bit too much of a perfectionist streak in me on this body filler. The plus side of that is I think I'm getting halfway decent at it. I've got a couple of places that I'm going to run a filler glaze over tomorrow, then it's time to knock the dust off and spray some primer. I've got all the detail masking done, I've just got to throw something over the frame in the back and the engine and radiator.

I read a trick somewhere (it may have been here) about sticking a nylon cord behind the window seals so there wouldn't be the paint line you'd get where the seal meets the body. Here's a couple of pics of that.

And here's a masked up window, just to make it look like I've actually been doing something-

joshc
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil Neon on December 4th 2010, 9:05 am

Cool trick with the nylon cord! I started painting my car outside on what was supposed to be the first day of an entire week of sunny days - an hour into painting it started to rain. I didn't even see the clouds roll in! LOL I hope you have better luck than I did sunny

Oh and you're probably the only person on the forum that needs scaffolding to paint their vehicle lol!
Lil Neon
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 47
Job/hobbies : Electronics/Technician
Project : 1979 Datsun 280zx
Registration date : 2009-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joshc on December 4th 2010, 7:36 pm

Well..it rained-all day long. It's not supposed to be warm enough to spray this stuff again until Wednesday. So I may try rolling on primer and see if I can keep it from sagging, which I'm a little worried about with all this vertical surface. If I really get bold, I may add a little accelerant to the paint and try to spray it. That stuff takes the pot life down to about nothing though, so it's probably going to make it pretty hard to spray. We'll see.
joshc
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Finally! A little visible progress!

Post by joshc on December 12th 2010, 4:47 pm

Well, the weather cooperated long enough this week to finish with the body filler and glaze, and then finally get the primer on yesterday. I've kind of been pulling my hair out a little bit, I really didn't want to be out of work for this long, and even if I get it finished this week, I'm going to be coming up pretty hard against Christmas. That work I talked about getting moved back to the middle of the month has cancelled altogether now, so I don't have anything pressing that I've committed to, but I'd also like to make some dagum money..So my options are to either wait this cold weather out until it's warm enough to paint, which will probably be towards the end of the week, take the truck to someone and have it painted inside, or put it back together and work it for a while. As much time as I have invested in it, I really don't want to pay someone else at this point, because even if I got it to someone tomorrow, it would probably still be the following Monday before I got back on the road. I also really don't like the idea of putting it back together and then having to take it back apart at some point, especially just to get a week or so worth of work in. So I'm leaning towards waiting it out and getting it finished now and just hitting the road hard after New Years.

Sorry for the rambling..I wish that I had been keeping track of how many hours I've spent on this thing, after I got the body filler looking good, I went back over everything with 3M body filler glaze, which is just a really thin and fine filler-and expensive, it was about $30 for a pint sized bottle and the hardener. It's really good stuff though, but I guess it doggone well better be at that price. I worked until well after dark Wednesday and Thursday nights getting this stuff feathered in, and after midnight Friday getting finished so I could (finally, finally, finally) start spraying yesterday. So here are some pics I can finally be a little proud of-

That's Mike doing the spraying, I didn't get any pictures after the first coat because I made a mess out of myself mixing the primer and I didn't want to touch anything. I did get this terrible picture after I got cleaned up, after dark obviously-

Those lines are shadows, it really looks great. There were only two runs on the whole thing, a small one on the driver's headlight bucket, and one on the front of the hood that will be covered by a piece of trim anyway. I guess I'm going to brave the cold at some point and hit it with a rattle can of guidecoat and try to do a little block sanding. I've promised myself I'm not going to get too picky and get myself into even more work. We'll see how that goes.
joshc
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nhmercracer on December 12th 2010, 9:45 pm

Looks good!

If you are going to use rattlecan paint for a guide coat, be prepared for a little time for the paint to dry. It will need two days (or more at colder temps) before you can sand it. If you don't wait, it will just clog you sandpaper.

Flat black may be a better bet.
nhmercracer
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2010-10-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on December 12th 2010, 9:58 pm

That will come out really nice when finished.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by austin26372 on December 12th 2010, 11:20 pm

So far so good!
austin26372
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 121
Job/hobbies : Ford trucks!
Project : 1990 F-Superduty
Registration date : 2010-11-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joshc on December 12th 2010, 11:35 pm

nhmercracer wrote:Looks good!

If you are going to use rattlecan paint for a guide coat, be prepared for a little time for the paint to dry. It will need two days (or more at colder temps) before you can sand it. If you don't wait, it will just clog you sandpaper.

Flat black may be a better bet.

It is a rattle can, but it's some stuff that's supposed to be compatible with the primer and dry pretty fast. I was planning on just kind of misting it. Thanks for the heads up, I'll probably spray it on my test piece and see how fast it dries. I'm not going to mess with it if it's going to delay me anymore. I blocked. It down pretty good before the primer with the glaze. Since the body panels are so big and aluminum, they change shape a little when the truck changes temperatures, so getting to ridiculous with it probably won't be worth it.
joshc
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on December 12th 2010, 11:52 pm

Thats a huge project to take on, at this time of year but your doing work and getting it done.

Looks really good... Do work driver...
thumbs up
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 337
Job/hobbies : Heavy equipment operator
Project : 76 Cobra Mustang
Registration date : 2009-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nhmercracer on December 13th 2010, 3:55 pm

I have always dreamed of bolting a pickup bed to a truck like yours, and using it as my daily driver.

And I mean long ago in the seventies when I was a kid, before the mega toy pickups you see driving around today.
nhmercracer
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on December 14th 2010, 4:15 am

Once you finish this one, you should pick up an old Crackerbox or two-story Falcon or Astro/Titan or something, and do it all again.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawrnk on December 16th 2010, 9:20 am

Can you elaborate on the cord on the seals? Im starting a 71 beetle and the seals all had paint on them when the last guy destroyed this thing with a rattle can. I've been concerned about covering the seals.

joshc (December 3rd 2010, 10:02 pm) wrote:Well, I'm not going to make any big predictions, but it looks like I might actually start painting tomorrow-if the rain holds off. I've gotten a little bit too much of a perfectionist streak in me on this body filler. The plus side of that is I think I'm getting halfway decent at it. I've got a couple of places that I'm going to run a filler glaze over tomorrow, then it's time to knock the dust off and spray some primer. I've got all the detail masking done, I've just got to throw something over the frame in the back and the engine and radiator.

I read a trick somewhere (it may have been here) about sticking a nylon cord behind the window seals so there wouldn't be the paint line you'd get where the seal meets the body. Here's a couple of pics of that.

And here's a masked up window, just to make it look like I've actually been doing something-

Lawrnk
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-12-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tbirdsps on December 16th 2010, 12:38 pm

That's kinda like painting a house. lol! Your work is looking good!
tbirdsps
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joshc on December 16th 2010, 12:42 pm

Lawrnk wrote:
Can you elaborate on the cord on the seals? Im starting a 71 beetle and the seals all had paint on them when the last guy destroyed this thing with a rattle can. I've been concerned about covering the seals.

Sure, you just take some braided nylon, maybe 1/4" or so, and use a screwdriver to pry the top of the seal away from the body, moving around the seal and forcing the cord behind the seal as you go. This pushes the seal out from the body so you can tape from the backside of the seal around to the front. The string also keeps the seal off the body, so you can paint behind where the seal will lay, so you don't have a paint line. I don't know how you would go about getting the old paint off the seals though, it might be a good time to go ahead and replace them, and just paint the car with them out. It's probably about time with a 40 year old car anyway.
joshc
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joshc on December 16th 2010, 12:46 pm

Tommy Hillbilly wrote:Once you finish this one, you should pick up an old Crackerbox or two-story Falcon or Astro/Titan or something, and do it all again.

You must really think I'm a glutton for punishment!

Thanks for the encouragement guys. We had an ice storm last night, maybe I'll eventually get out there and get some paint on the thing.
joshc
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on December 16th 2010, 8:34 pm

I wanna see how you paint the roof!!! lol
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawrnk on December 20th 2010, 1:32 am

joshc wrote:
Lawrnk wrote:

Sure, you just take some braided nylon, maybe 1/4" or so, and use a screwdriver to pry the top of the seal away from the body, moving around the seal and forcing the cord behind the seal as you go. This pushes the seal out from the body so you can tape from the backside of the seal around to the front. The string also keeps the seal off the body, so you can paint behind where the seal will lay, so you don't have a paint line. I don't know how you would go about getting the old paint off the seals though, it might be a good time to go ahead and replace them, and just paint the car with them out. It's probably about time with a 40 year old car anyway.

The 1/4 inch was way too big on mine, but I get the idea. I think these seals are fairly new, good shape. I'm going to try this, maybe mason string would work for these.
Lawrnk
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-12-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on December 29th 2010, 10:32 pm

Any updates Driver....
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 337
Job/hobbies : Heavy equipment operator
Project : 76 Cobra Mustang
Registration date : 2009-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Painted!

Post by joshc on January 1st 2011, 10:47 pm

Sorry I've been so long updating folks-busy week, birthday's, a wedding, New Year's eve-and painting! I was starting to think I'd never get to it. The weather finally cooperated yesterday, and we got two coats on. I don't know if I messed up the needle, or if my gun was never right, but we couldn't get it to stop splattering paint. So, in a moment of desperation, I got out the touch-up gun that came with the kit from Harbor Freight. I turned the air volume knob wide-open, and it actually put out a pretty good sized pattern. I had intended on going to the store and getting another regular HVLP gun but the touch up gun worked well enough that we stuck with it. It has a tiny cup on it, so it needed to be refilled a lot, which was irritating, but it worked. The cup also won't accept the little disposable cup filters, so we filtered the paint with a cotton handkerchief, which was also time consuming. I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out, there's some fine orange peel in places, and a two runs, but it's really not bad. I got a lot of paint on my hands doing the straining, so I didn't get to take many progress shots, and it was dark by the time we finished. It rained all day today, so I might be able to get some better pictures tomorrow. So enough of this, here's the pictures.

I was trying to get a picture of the runs in the first coat, but all I really got was about the worst of the orange peel. It did level out a little as it cured, and the second coat went on better.

Like I said, it rained all day today but here's a couple of rainy pictures-

I'm really kind of surprised how well the bondo work on the corners of the sleeper came out. It's not perfect, but it's good enough.

I'm contemplating putting another coat on it tomorrow afternoon, it's supposed to warm up enough to do it. I'm going to wait until I can see it dry to decide. It's definitely going to need some work to get it buffed out, but I'm tickled to finally have it in paint. I'm beyond ready to get this thing back together and back on the road.
joshc
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nhmercracer on January 2nd 2011, 9:21 pm

Looks excellent!

joshc wrote:It's not perfect, but it's good enough.

I'm beyond ready to get this thing back together and back on the road.

I am starting to feel the same way about my project.
nhmercracer
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on January 3rd 2011, 1:00 am

That's a lot of surface area! Gotta love the way water beads on fresh paint.
Didn't you say you were going with the same color? The pics make it look more teal-ish.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by austin26372 on January 3rd 2011, 1:46 am

So far so good!
austin26372