68 Mustang Coupe

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 68 Mustang Coupe

Post by rmdhokie on May 17th 2011, 1:09 pm

snafu wrote: It looks like you are working with flourescent lights. Just be aware that those lights will show every little flaw.

That's a great point...working with flourescent lights and a white paintjob. Car hasn't moved out of the garage (or started for that matter) since I started taking her apart. Thanks for the hindsight. I hope mine turns out as well as your cougar. I still planning on rocker stripes and hood stripe.

Last edited by rmdhokie on May 17th 2011, 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on May 17th 2011, 1:10 pm

That is pretty amazing. You could get away with waiting a year to sand and buff. I wonder if you could skip the sanding, and just go straight to buffing.
It looks good enough to drive for sure. And just being able to tell folks that that paint is straight off of a roller, and hasn't been cut and buffed, would be cool. I'm sure no one would believe you.

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 19th 2011, 8:13 pm

It does look shiny but just buffing will only make it shinier. You would still see any orange peel there was. It just depends on how much work you want to do. What is O.K. for some is "not good enough" for others. reguardless, there WILL come a time when you have to say "thats good enough, I'm done".
Mike

retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on May 27th 2011, 7:45 pm

Coat #8 is finished. I went out to the garage to check the wet paint and noticed I left one of the flood lights on. Then, I really noticed how the lighting really brought out the classic body lines and styling. Ford did it right 43 years ago in my opinion. I know it's just a coupe but I'm glad it's my coupe. Here's a couple of pics I thought was cool...

rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on May 27th 2011, 9:36 pm

rmdhokie wrote: Ford did it right 43 years ago in my opinion. I know it's just a coupe but I'm glad it's my coupe. Here's a couple of pics I thought was cool...

And that's about the same view/perspective I was getting at that time, of my Mom's new '68 convertible - meadowlark yellow, black power top, black standard interior, AM radio, 6 cyl. 3 speed manual. I think it did have the bright rocker and wheel well lip moldings, but it had the flush body colored rear marker lights (reflecters), instead of the chrome Cougar styled ones like yours has. I believe it had the bright trim on the quarter extensions and trunk lip like yours.

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on May 28th 2011, 8:12 am

Amen brother.... cars today all look like jelly beans.

63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1261
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on May 28th 2011, 12:51 pm

Not really wanting to dive into another round of wetsanding, I decided to paint the hood/side scoops and rear quarter end caps. I've been putting these off for while. I'm calling this the fifth coat on these pieces. I've experimented with different methods...rolling, foam brushing, spraying Topside with a preval sprayer....only to sand off all my mistakes and finally settle for a four coats of regular Rusto Pro in rattlecan as a base coat. I'll do 4 topcoats of Rusto Topside with 2" roller.

rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dean_af on June 1st 2011, 12:19 pm

I think the coupes look the best. I had a 69' and after seeing your 68', I might want another.

dean_af
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2011-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on June 2nd 2011, 10:25 am

Looks good!

I tried a preval sprayer for the inside of my trunk hoping it would save me some time. It never did work well and I ended up finishing it with a foam brush.

snafu
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on June 7th 2011, 9:30 pm

Well...I jumped into another round of wetsanding. Got the trunk done with 1000 grit and got the itch to see how my new DA and polishes would work. Here's the results after 1000 grit wetsand, 1 pass with poorboys ssr3 with Meguiars cutting (maroon) pad, 1 pass of ssr2.5 with Meguiars yellow medium pad, and then 1 pass of ssr1 with Meguiars tan polishing pad. Variable speed PC was set on "5" for every pass. scratch

Keep in mind...this is my first time ever using a DA to polish anything.

Here's a few pics:

Before pic with taped-off dull wetsanded area; I choose this area because it has a little OP (see right side) and wanted to see if/how much the compound would cut it.

Here's the after pics of polished area

Conclusion: (1) The paint shined up nicely and I think the end result will be very good; (2) It is by no means a mirror finish at this stage....in fact a bit hazy with 1000 grit scrtaches pretty obvious; (3) I'm a rookie with a DA and need more practice.

rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on June 7th 2011, 9:57 pm

rmdhokie wrote:I'm a rookie with a DA and need more practice.
About the best reason to buy your own, as opposed to renting or borrowing or whatever...

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on June 8th 2011, 12:05 pm

one thing to remember is that the lights in your garage will show every little flaw vs looking at it under natural light.

63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on June 8th 2011, 5:35 pm

63Falconconvert wrote:one thing to remember is that the lights in your garage will show every little flaw vs looking at it under natural light.

You got it...I'll have the garage door open during the day with plenty of natural light and be amazed with how the car looks then work in the garage after dinner with just lights in the garage and think I need more wetsanding...then another coat of paint...then more wetsanding. I've got a bit of the perfectionist disease but need to come to the realization that THERE WILL BE FLAWS and I'll probably be the only one that notices them.

rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on June 8th 2011, 8:27 pm

Flaws, well, you work and work and work and it gets better as you go but there WILL be a point where you say "thats enough. Done". Remember, you are your own worst critic. Laughing .
Mike

retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on June 9th 2011, 10:22 am

rmdhokie wrote:
Conclusion: (1) The paint shined up nicely and I think the end result will be very good; (2) It is by no means a mirror finish at this stage....in fact a bit hazy with 1000 grit scrtaches pretty obvious; (3) I'm a rookie with a DA and need more practice.

Shiny! It looks great from here.

I'm still learning how to use mine. One thing that took awhile for me to learn is to give it time to work - like maybe two or three minutes on a section of about 3 sq ft. I just had to go back and do another round of SSR3 on my truck with a small cutting pad and I'm much happier now. It is dull work, but it will be worth it.

Last edited by snafu on June 10th 2011, 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total

snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on June 9th 2011, 5:32 pm

Dave,

Did you go all the way up to 2000 grit before hitting it with SSR3?

rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on June 10th 2011, 10:30 am

rmdhokie wrote:Dave,

Did you go all the way up to 2000 grit before hitting it with SSR3?

Disclaimer - I probably have lower standards for my truck and I'm accepting some orange peel and some trash in the paint.

My final sanding was 1500 only, but I ended up doing three passes with the SSR3 so I didn't save myself any time. Part of my problem was that I used a soft pad the first two rounds, so they weren't as effective. I'd say if you are happy with the orange peel after sanding with 1500, SSR3 with a cutting pad should take care of the sanding scratches, but it may take a couple of passes.

snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on June 10th 2011, 11:07 am

I just noticed you said you finished sanding with 1000. I do think SSR3 can handle those scratches, but it may take a little time. One detailing thread I was reading referred to SSR3 as "rocks in a bottle" because its so abrasive.

You'll probably just have to experiement on a small section like you are to figure out what will get you the results you want. There's no real science to this since we're all using different paints and we all have different standards.

snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on June 11th 2011, 7:57 pm

Summit Racing emailed me yesterday that Cragar has discontinued the wheels I ordered back in April. smash ****, I'll liked those too.

I've moved on and bought these (confirmed in stock)...they're Summit Legend 5 series (torq thrust knock-offs). I like them and the price was very budget friendly at $129 each.

rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by austin26372 on June 11th 2011, 8:09 pm

Dang, that's a good price for a nice looking wheel!

austin26372
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 121
Job/hobbies : Ford trucks!
Project : 1990 F-Superduty
Registration date : 2010-11-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on June 12th 2011, 6:38 am

Summit couldn't wait a little longer to tell you that piece of information!!! I'll bet you called them to find out when your wheels would be showing up and they said ' um oh yeah, um Cragar stopped making those sorry ....." doh

63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on June 12th 2011, 11:19 am

rmdhokie wrote:Summit Racing emailed me yesterday that Cragar has discontinued the wheels I ordered back in April. ****, I'll liked those too.

I've moved on and bought these (confirmed in stock)...they're Summit Legend 5 series (torq thrust knock-offs). I like them and the price was very budget friendly at $129 each.

Now you'll have to paint the car Highland green...

I like Torque Thrusts. But if you really really wanted the other wheels, you might try canvassing wheel and tire dealers. I'll bet at least one shop has a set or two sitting around.

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on June 12th 2011, 4:03 pm

Tommy Hillbilly wrote: Now you'll have to paint the car Highland green...I like Torque Thrusts. But if you really really wanted the other wheels, you might try canvassing wheel and tire dealers. I'll bet at least one shop has a set or two sitting around.

If I had a fastback, I might have went highland green from the beginning.

I looked around for the same Cragar wheels at other vendors...and got the same story of being discontinued. I did find one company but the price wan't right. They also knew about it being discontinued and wanted a big premium for their remaining stock....good ole' supply vs. demand!!!

I like the torq thrust wheels and will be happy with them. The price was super and Summit waived the shipping and handling charges. They'll be here Wednesday so stand by for some mock up pics.

I did about 3 hours of wetsanding today....and learned a valuable lesson requiring my first paint repair. DON'T WEAR A WATCH!!
After sanding rear quarter panel I noticed a big gouge (all the way to the primer wtf) on the top edge of the driver's door. Turns out...I'm sanding with one hand and supporting/leaning with the other hand on the door and my metal watch band was digging into the paint. ahhh OK, done the day...time for a jack and coke and pick it up again tomorrow.

rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on June 12th 2011, 9:27 pm

Bummer. Can you fill the scratch and keep sanding or will you need to do some major repainting?

Wheels will look good. When are the stripes going on?

snafu
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on June 13th 2011, 6:36 pm

Another cut and buff test area. This time on the hood. Better results this time around as I let the pad and compound work a lot longer on the paint. I got a few areas where I sanded through the top layer and have some speckles from the layer underneath. I think I'm being too agressive with the wetsanding. Nice gloss and you can only see the flaws at a certain angle.

Pic of my bride in her best "you're working on the car again" pose Wink

rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content