Can you roll on automotive paint?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can you roll on automotive paint?

Post by mikeinaus on December 24th 2010, 12:47 am

hey everyone. ive been reading this forum for a while and i am starting to make some plans to finally attempt a paint job on my car when it gets warm enough in a few months. ive been doing some searching but i havnt really been able to find the answer to what im looking for. does everyone use rustoleum or brightside because there cheap and durable, or is there something special about rustoleum/marine paints that makes rolling on possible with good resukts?

ideally im hoping to find a dark high gloss or even metallic (if possible) grey. from the searching different brands or marine paints i really havnt found anything close to what im looking for. my dream colour would be something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eastwood-Gray-Metallic-Urethane-Enamel-Automotive-Paint-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5641982d50QQitemZ370467679568QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools#ht_4040wt_1165
would this type of paint work or am i stuck with marine paint and trying my best to mix the colours to what i want. i realise the metallic might not be possible, but does anyone know of any paint that would work being rolled on, and would give results similar to this or slightly darker?

mikeinaus
Rank
Rank

Number of posts: 1
Registration date: 2010-12-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can you roll on automotive paint?

Post by nhmercracer on December 24th 2010, 11:16 am

I have been wondering the same. I hope to try a test panel in the spring. If I do, I will post here on RolledOn.

nhmercracer
Rank
Rank

Number of posts: 103
Registration date: 2010-10-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on December 27th 2010, 12:00 am

Metallic doesn't work the roll on method for two reasons.
First, most of the metallic is pushed out of the roller when you are rolling it out in the pan. You do bet a bit but not enough and
Second. When you color sand you get into the metallic and it will tarnish down the road a bit unless it has clear coat over it and rusto doesn't make clear in quarts anymore.
Believe me, I tried several times. I am an old leadsledder and love metal flake, pearl and candy paint. I played with the camper on my truck and could NOT make it work. There have been a couple of other guys try and they gave up also. I hate to break the news but as far as I am concerned it won't work. You are very welcome to try tho and I would sure love it if you could prove me wrong.
Mike

retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts: 1004
Job/hobbies: retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project: figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date: 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nhmercracer on December 27th 2010, 7:03 pm

Hi Mike,

I know you have told us that before, and I believe you. I was hoping to try rolling a non metallic automotive paint. A single stage may work nicely, provided, as you state, no metallic.

nhmercracer
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on December 28th 2010, 11:17 pm

Regular enamel would work if you can cut it with mineral spirits. I have tried some acrylic enamel and M.S. just curdled the paint. Maybe the proper reducer but mixed 50/50 would work but I would still think your roller working window would be very short compared to M.S.
Mike

retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts: 1004
Job/hobbies: retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project: figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date: 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nhmercracer on December 29th 2010, 7:06 pm

I bet using the slowest reducer in cool weather may do the trick.

nhmercracer
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by loneagle on February 6th 2011, 12:27 pm

I tried it with some solid color acrylic enamel and had no luck. Even with the cool weather here in Oregon. Just not enough working time for the paint to level out.

loneagle
Rank
Rank

Number of posts: 57
Registration date: 2010-12-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top