Paint runs on side panels

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Paint runs on side panels

Post by John617 on December 22nd 2007, 5:08 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm painting my 03 Crown Vic black from yellow - yeah, it used to be a cab. I did a big disservice to myself.

After laying my first two coats I've come across a lot of paint runs (especially on the side panels where I was painting horizontally). I was wetsanding with 400 and realized that I was stripping the entire paint around the paint run areas. What do I do? I am thinking about scrapping the two coats and sanding the entire panels back down with a rougher grit (any suggestions?). Also, how is everyone rolling their side panels?

2 lessons learned:
I now realize how important it is to lay each coat down AS THIN AS POSSIBLE. sigh Also, if you're going to need foam brushes use them FIRST, then use the rollers to catch the runs.

John617
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 5
Project : 03 Ford Crown Victoria
Registration date : 2007-12-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Paint runs on side panels

Post by leeiaccoca on December 22nd 2007, 11:58 pm

I was doing that too with the runs. Even if you keep the paint thin at 50/50, you are still going to have a run here and there, especially on the sides.

I started having better luck though when I used 2 rollers: 1 wet and 1 dry. I'd do a section at a time with the wet roller, then go over it with the dry roller. The dry roller would ultimately get wet with the excess paint it removed. So I 'd grip that roller with a cloth to dry it out, before I used it on the next section.

This basically eliminated most of my run problems because it left me with no excess paint on the sides.

leeiaccoca
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by John617 on December 26th 2007, 1:06 pm

leeiaccoca wrote:The dry roller would ultimately get wet with the excess paint it removed. So I 'd grip that roller with a cloth to dry it out, before I used it on the next section.

This basically eliminated most of my run problems because it left me with no excess paint on the sides.

Thanks Leeia,
What kind of cloth do you use? And are you rolling vertically for your side panels?

John617
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on December 26th 2007, 6:44 pm

I haven't had much problem with paint running, but the tiny bubbles in the paint run causing the side to look wavey. I have had good luck with going back over the area with a dry roller to pop the bubbles, but more form. Blowing on them helps and the sides are turning out smooth. But it sure looks scary as the bubbles slide down the paint.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Printshop owner
Project : 91 Geo Storm GSi, 93 Geo Storm, 66 Chevy pickup
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on December 27th 2007, 11:57 am

I had the same problem on my first and second coat. I switched to a ratio of 2 parts paint 1 part mineral spirits (2:1) This allowed me enough time to cover the entire panel with paint then gently roll back over the panel to pop a majority of the bubbles and level. Hope this helps!

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by leeiaccoca on December 28th 2007, 10:33 am

At first I thought I recalled using one of these home depot clothes-in-a-box deals. Now that I think about it, I think the product was actually more some kind of super-strength paper that I payed $10 a box for (I must have been nuts paying that).

However, I would have basically used anything absorbent: cotton cloth, rags, towels, etc. Anything that won't come apart on you or on the paint.

I also painted horizontally and did a section at a time. The paint gets tacky relatively quickly at 50/50 (but still takes hours to dry).

So, to pull up excess paint with the second roller and then squeeze-clean the roller with a cloth, you have to work fast! You might not pick up a whole lot of excess paint with the second roller. But its still paint that you'd probably end up having to sand off later if you were looking for a smooth paint surface with little to no orange peel.

leeiaccoca
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2007-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by John617 on December 28th 2007, 11:55 pm

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions! I'll definitely post pics when I'm done with my paint job. Have a happy new [rolling] year! Laughing

John617
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelbyDodgeImp on April 30th 2009, 1:45 am

I have had a lot of problems with this, even when trying 4:1 mixes.

Best "solution" I've found is to keep rolling it with the roller until the paint sets, and if there is a LOT of extra paint still on the panel, try spreading it onto near by parts of the car (like if you're doing one door, start doing the door next to it).

If you can keep rolling the runs out, eventually it will "set" and stay that way, but it can take a while.
ShelbyDodgeImp
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 10
Job/hobbies : Perpetual Student
Project : 1992 Dodge Imperial Concept
Registration date : 2009-04-29

View user profile http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3072884

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content