Which Rustoleum to use?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which Rustoleum to use?

Post by skydmark1 on March 17th 2011, 12:02 pm

Ok everyone, I'm currently in the research and note taking stages of this paint process. In fact, I haven't even purchased the vehicle I plan to paint yet. I'm beginning to shop for a 92-95 Jeep YJ that I will surely be doing body work on and will eventually want to paint. I have some unanswered questions after reading but for now I just have one.

Which Rustoleum paint should I be considering. The standard stops rust paint, the professional paint, or the TopSide paint. I like the idea of a UV protectant in the TopSide but it's not super important as I don't live in a highly sunny area. I want to lay down a decent paint job in around 5 coats. The vehicle will be my Daily Driver so minimizing the time off the road is important.

What is everyone's experience with these 3 different versions of rustoleum. Are the prep and priming needs the same for each? Is the sanding techniques the same for each (every other coat)?

Let's hear it!
skydmark1
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which Rustoleum to use?

Post by retired plumber on March 17th 2011, 5:48 pm

Prep is the same for all of them. In fact it is 90% of the job. Remember the golden rule. If you even think you can see it before finish, you WILL see it after.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by skydmark1 on March 17th 2011, 10:23 pm

Any reason to not use the Topcoat? The color choices aren't that much better in the Stops Rust so I may just go with the TopCoat and have the extra UV protection. Will application and thinning be the same?
skydmark1
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top