1963 Ford Falcon

Page 6 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 1963 Ford Falcon

Post by 63Falconconvert on August 19th 2011, 12:32 pm

T Hadley is the man! I miss his posts. That guy has some mad skills but he makes it look so easy. It gives the rest of us hacks hope that we can do this too.... Very Happy
That is a sweet Formula. The body on that was pin straight.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1262
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on August 22nd 2011, 9:06 pm

63Falconconvert wrote:T Hadley is the man! I miss his posts. That guy has some mad skills but he makes it look so easy. It gives the rest of us hacks hope that we can do this too.... Very Happy
That is a sweet Formula. The body on that was pin straight.

Thanks man, I just feel we can all learn from each other, because we will never live long enough to make all the mistakes our self's..... lol!
I'm not gone just been really swamped with other stuff this summer.

The car is looking great.

T.
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 337
Job/hobbies : Heavy equipment operator
Project : 76 Cobra Mustang
Registration date : 2009-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on August 28th 2011, 7:54 am

Some updates....the driverside lower quarter has really been fighting me. I can't get the lower body line as straight as I would like it.
Here are a few pics to what I ended up doing:
First is drawing a long pencil line right on the body line.

[img]

next sorry no picture is running a piece of tape from one end of the quarter to the other on the top half of the body line.

Next lay a thin coat of polyester putty and while it's still wet pull off the tape. This gives you a nice straight hard line. Block with 80 grit using a long board and that did the trick:

Next was to lay a heavy coat of primer, let dry, dust with cheap black primer as a guide coat and block with 220 grit on a long board:

63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dean_af on August 28th 2011, 9:51 am

63Falconconvert wrote:
Next lay a thin coat of polyester putty and while it's still wet pull off the tape. This gives you a nice straight hard line. Block with 80 grit using a long board and that did the trick:

I's stealing this idea. I welded the front half the quarter on the seem and it messed up the body line a bit.

Your car is looking good, wish mine was that straight. The lines are looking good and once the trim is in place, any little imperfections shouldn't be noticeable.
dean_af
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2011-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on August 28th 2011, 7:12 pm

thanks Dean... here is a better explaination of getting body lines straight.
http://www.losboulevardosmessageboard.com/showthread.php?3495-how-to-get-straight-body-lines
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on August 31st 2011, 7:27 am

This is my "practice" piece. A trunk lid from a 68 Firebird. The lid is in ok shape, a lot of dents. I spent a little time straightening but it's far from good.

First step, strip the old paint:

Some primer and filler:

The stuff, Rusto gloss white, MS, Penetrol, 6" roller. I will be using TopSide on the Falcon but I figures regular Rusto was ok for this.

First coat last night. Mixture is 3 parts Rusto, 1 1/2 parts Penetrol, 1/2 part MS. Paint leveled well, bubbles popped right away, little to no orange peal.

Coat 2 this morning. I came out to check it after my shower and there is a small moth doing a back stroke........picked most of him out...

The coverage is a lot thinner then it looks. So far very happy with what I see.
I'll let this cure for a day and wetsand.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dean_af on August 31st 2011, 10:09 am

I seen the pics before reading and couldn't figure out what part I was looking at. lol. The paint looks good for only two coats and looks very smooth from the pics.
dean_af
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2011-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on August 31st 2011, 8:40 pm

Looks real good, Penetrol is the way to go fosho....

T.
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on August 31st 2011, 9:30 pm

Looks great! I think I did 6 coats on a test piece before I was completely sold. Also a good way to get your technique down.
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on August 31st 2011, 10:22 pm

The garage was a lot warmer tonight then last so I'm seeing the paint dry quicker meaning more orange peel. I wet sanded before my 3rd coat tonight, all I had was 1500 grit. Part of my goal on this test piece is to see how "forgiving" this is. Example, I sanded the primer with 220 leaving some deep sand scratches. I want to see how the paint will fill them. Another test is leaving some of the orange peel when wet sanding. For my last 2 coats I will be adding enamel hardener to the mix so we will see how that goes. Oh and the moth did sand out...lol
I am struggling with the bubbles, I may try a small hair dryer and see if that works.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by T.Hadley on August 31st 2011, 11:58 pm

I found that if my mix was to thin I had trouble with bubbles
T.Hadley
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on September 1st 2011, 8:39 pm

T.Hadley wrote:I found that if my mix was to thin I had trouble with bubbles

I think that could be the problem. On my next coat I'm going to thicken it up a bit. I picked up some 800 wet/dry tonight so tomorrow morning I will go after the orange peel.
The goal is to actually start rolling the 63 this weekend.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on September 1st 2011, 9:42 pm

63Falconconvert wrote:The goal is to actually start rolling the 63 this weekend.

Awesome, keep the pics coming. You finished the rear quarter body work? I noticed used a guide coat in your last set of pics.
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on September 1st 2011, 9:59 pm

63Falconconvert wrote:The goal is to actually start rolling the 63 this weekend.
Awesome. Then after that, comes the hardest part...
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on September 2nd 2011, 7:16 am

Tommy Hillbilly wrote:

You mean it get harder.... doh

So far it hasn't been bad. 90% of my rust issue are in the rear and thats all repaired. I want to sand the primer 1 more time to try to get rid of the sand scratches, sand & prime the door jams and then I will finally be rolling paint.

Worked on my test lid this morning. Temp & humidity play a huge factor in this. Right now as I type (7:04 AM) temp is 70 degrees but the humidity is 88%. This is causing the heavy orange peel. I notice when I paint in the morning it's not so bad but when I paint at night and the temp is above 80 the orange peel is terrible. I wet sanded this morning with 800 grit, took 30 minutes to knock down the peel. Only 1 small burn through.
My next 2 coats will be with my Rusto Topside, Penatrol, MS & hardener. That will give me 6 coats on my test piece which is fine. I'm looking at 8 to 10 on the 63.
Working this paint isn't much different then shooting Acrylic Enamel from a gun. Slow dry, orange peel, lots of sanding.....the plus side is NO OVER SPRAY. If anyone has ever shot enamel you know what I mean. Everything within 50 feet gets covered with sticky enamel. So far this is a great way to paint with little investment money wise, you have to have a lot of time and a lot of patience. thumbs up in my book!

63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on September 2nd 2011, 2:19 pm

63Falconconvert wrote:
Tommy Hillbilly wrote:

You mean it get harder.... doh

So far it hasn't been bad. 90% of my rust issue are in the rear and thats all repaired. I want to sand the primer 1 more time to try to get rid of the sand scratches, sand & prime the door jams and then I will finally be rolling paint.

Worked on my test lid this morning. Temp & humidity play a huge factor in this. Right now as I type (7:04 AM) temp is 70 degrees but the humidity is 88%. This is causing the heavy orange peel. I notice when I paint in the morning it's not so bad but when I paint at night and the temp is above 80 the orange peel is terrible. I wet sanded this morning with 800 grit, took 30 minutes to knock down the peel. Only 1 small burn through.
My next 2 coats will be with my Rusto Topside, Penatrol, MS & hardener. That will give me 6 coats on my test piece which is fine. I'm looking at 8 to 10 on the 63.
Working this paint isn't much different then shooting Acrylic Enamel from a gun. Slow dry, orange peel, lots of sanding.....the plus side is NO OVER SPRAY. If anyone has ever shot enamel you know what I mean. Everything within 50 feet gets covered with sticky enamel. So far this is a great way to paint with little investment money wise, you have to have a lot of time and a lot of patience. thumbs up in my book!

Hey Falcon
When I polishing paint/detail I always keep an eye on my temp & humidity gauges,my humidity gauges more then anything. I've found out that anything around 75% humidity was border line of trouble! I found the perfect sweet spot (my favorite % of humidity for polishing paint) is around55-65% with about 60-70 degree's.

So to get it in that sweet spot I love so well, I've got a window mount air conditioner that I will turn on and turn the exhaust to open and in about 20 minutes or so it can pull a 90% humidity down to 60% humidity and in that time I already have everything out on my table and ready for the job at hand.

Oh yea got a front fender gave to me the other day, have a couple dents in it so now I've got to get me some body dollies. So hopefully in acouple weeks or so I can/maybe get back into testing/technique's and be one step closer to finally starting this rolledon paint!

Been trying to find a pic with the portable workstand I was telling you about but have'nt found any so this weekend will get it down and take a pic or two and post them for you and others to think about getting one.
Almost forgot doh in the mail this morning, enjoy lol!
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 247
Job/hobbies : snap-on tools/always testing out different techniques
Project : Hopefully a 77-81 trans-am
Registration date : 2010-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on September 2nd 2011, 2:29 pm

I wish I had a window in the garage to mount an A/C unit. Right now the humidity is only 55% but the temp is 89! So that makes my garage around 100 degrees.......
Do you think if I ran a dehumidifier that would help?
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on September 2nd 2011, 4:32 pm

I wish I just had a darned garage...
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on September 4th 2011, 7:18 am

rolled coat 5 on the test piece. Decided to stay with the regular Rusto with no hardener for 2 more coats. I thickened the paint up a touch and had less bubbles but because the temp & humidity was so high I got heavy OP again. I'm going to let it dry for 48 hours before wetsanding. The temp & humidity is suppose to drop over the next few days.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on September 4th 2011, 1:25 pm

63Falconconvert wrote:I wish I had a window in the garage to mount an A/C unit. Right now the humidity is only 55% but the temp is 89! So that makes my garage around 100 degrees.......
Do you think if I ran a dehumidifier that would help?
Sorry it took so long to get back but just went looking for info before I answered your question.
Yes it will help greatly! Also went looking for some cheap ways to also help reduce humidity for you-me and anyone else that needs to get rid of humidity while rolling on their paint in a garage.

Have a couple articles for everyone to read and give a try, I know the rock salt in a 5 gal bucket is one I'm going to try out.

Hope it helps and post back with your findings and any other info.
http://www.ehow.com/list_7647069_ways-dehumidify.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_7451206_diy-salt-dehumidifier.html

Also found this, check out #4!!
http://www.ehow.com/how_7895614_speed-up-drying-time-paint.html

Funny thing is I just seen this under the ROLLEDONFORUMS home page some more great info at the bottom of the page. Some of the humidifiers are pretty pricy! I can see checking out some yard/garage sales and classified adds, and also the 5 Gal bucket ideal with the salt a good cheap way to help get rid of some or all humidity.

Last edited by stang_krazy on September 4th 2011, 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : more info)
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on September 5th 2011, 7:10 am

Stang...great info thanks for taking the time to do the research. I'm actually thinking of cutting a hole in the side of the garage to mount an A/C unit.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on September 5th 2011, 9:32 am

63Falconconvert wrote:Stang...great info thanks for taking the time to do the research. I'm actually thinking of cutting a hole in the side of the garage to mount an A/C unit.
I bet after you install a window unit you'll wonder how you've done without one.

Also be able to go out there no matter how hot or how high the humidity is and in about 20 minutes it will/can be perfect for rolling on your paint or just practice/test or just hanging out in the man cave drinking a nice cold iced tea or in my case a cold bottle of ale81(a kentucky thing-LOL it's a soft drink made in winchester ky)

Also another thing I do is put the little bags of moisture beads (that comes in some of the things you buy) in my tool box draws and also go buy damprid a moisture absorber you can get at wal-mart or at some of the dollar store's and also place them in my box.

stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on September 5th 2011, 6:36 pm

Man I'm really struggling with this. My 5th coat on my test piece had heavy OP. Today I wet sanded the OP with 800, knocked down 90% which caused some minor burn through. Today the temp was down to 60 degrees. I rolled coat 6 and the paint just isn't flowing out like I was hoping. I have to get it out of my brain that it's not going to look like it was sprayed, and try toremember that wet sand/buff will cure a lot of the imperfections.
Has anyone else struggled with this. I'm starting to get frustrated.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 86 stang on September 5th 2011, 6:53 pm

ya when i got about 5 coats down after sanding i did not like what i got the more i tryed to get 100% on op the more frustrated i got i started going up to a very high grit in the bad spots that way i could work on a spot longer and it slowed me down so i could get it off with out burning though that s what worked for me Smile
86 stang
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 215
Project : 86 mustang gt-vert 5-speed stick
Registration date : 2011-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on September 5th 2011, 9:19 pm

Hey Falcon I know I haven't rolled yet but should you be wet sanding with 800 grit?

And on the 6 coat not flowing out like you would like, you said it's 60 degree's, what about the humidity? and are you still mixing the paint like you did when the temp was up in the 80-90's?Should you be pouring more mineral spirits then paint, plus now your adding penetrol.

I know the penetrol is new info that I've not seen or heard you guys talking about but what if you need to adjust the penetrol for the temp or humidity?

I seen it tonight at lowes and now know it's for helping to keep brush and roller marks out of the paint. Is this the first time you've used it or any one else?

When I would wet sand paint when I went down to 1200 grit I was nervous and very careful not to apply to much pressure and wouldn't spend to much time in any area because a burn through would be very easy and a repaint on my part.

Have you pushed away from your test and set back and thought about what and how you've mixed-applied-pressure-temp-humidity and so on. When I would run into problems polish a paint job out or run across a repaint and had trouble I would always push away from it for alittle while and think things over and talk it out, and would always fiqure it out and then laugh at myself because it was always right there in front of me.

stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content