1965 Ford F-100 Pickup (low budget build)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Making Manual Tire Changer mount

Post by scr8pin_f100 on April 13th 2011, 12:03 am

Well, after trying to use the tire changer without a good base, I have decided to build a base, using the receiver hitch of my F-350...My thinking is that if I move that truck, then the tire I am trying to change doesn't need to come off!! It is crude, but it should get the job done!

scr8pin_f100
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 35
Job/hobbies : Photographer/Designer/Redneck/Hillbilly/Old Car nut
Project : 1965 Ford F-100
Registration date : 2009-01-20

View user profile http://www.bsyphotography.smugmug.com, www.facebook.com/bsyphoto

Back to top Go down

Re: 1965 Ford F-100 Pickup (low budget build)

Post by 63Falconconvert on April 13th 2011, 5:51 am

sometimes you have to do what ever works.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by scr8pin_f100 on April 13th 2011, 10:39 am

63Falconconvert wrote:sometimes you have to do what ever works.
Boy, ain't that the truth! But is seems that NOTHING comes easy for me! HA! I do hope this will work, so I can move on and get those tires on this beast!
scr8pin_f100
Rank
Rank

View user profile http://www.bsyphotography.smugmug.com, www.facebook.com/bsyphoto

Back to top Go down

Small progress

Post by scr8pin_f100 on April 18th 2011, 12:05 am

Small update on 'Ol Blue...I picked up 2 front tires at a swap meet, so I'm switching gears and mounting them on my fronts, and mounting some other used tires that I had for the rear..I also sprayed some rubberized undercoating to the front inner fenders, frame, etc.. I will be bleeding the front brakes tomorrow, and starting on the rears!

On a side note..I noticed while at the store, a rustoleum "Metallic" in a spray paint..(11 oz. cans) I was curious if anyone has used these? I know spraying metallics in a spray gun is substantially more difficult, so I am a little concerned about the results I could expect..I have researched and I think I could do the whole job with 20 cans, putting the job at around $80, give or take...I like the idea, because I am a fan of metallic paints, AND they have a great blue color that I want, and the silver color...(I plan on painting the roof of my cab Silver...
Thoughts?

I'll try to post pics of the undercoating tomorrow!
scr8pin_f100
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on April 18th 2011, 11:12 pm

There are a couple of problems with spray cans as I see it
#1 They don't really put out very much paint. It just looks like it because the color on the car will change but it is verrrry thin.
#2 Most spray cans shoot a round pattern which if fine for your go cart frame but you really need a fan pattern to spray large areas like a car. Some spray cans have this kind of nozzle tho so check.
Years a go I painted a chevy luv pickup with 12 rattle cans and it looked ok from 20ft (lol) but the paint was so thin you could rub it with a fingernail and it would go through the paint. Granted that was 20+ years ago and paint has changed greatly.
My personal opinion would be, IF you want to use spray cans, just use enough to get the color you want and then lots of clear cans to protect it. Most clear cans have UV stuff in them now. I really do think tho it is a bad idea. Spray cans have their places for us like in door jams and unreachable places. just my cents
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scr8pin_f100 on April 19th 2011, 12:42 pm

yes..I had heard that about rattle can paint..This tip does have an "fan" spray feature, but like you, I am more concerned with the amount that it lays down..Another option, all be it a more expensive one, is my local orielly's will mix regular auto paint and put into spray cans...I get that it is still the same amount of paint, but, not a bad pick if someone is looking to just touch up spots on a factory finish...I think they charge $20 for first can, and $10 for each can after...

I have a compressor, I technically could spray rustoleum and add metal flake, but not sure as to the pressures needed at the gun...My compressor is a POS, so if it requires much, then I'm back to rolling...Just not looking forward to the week long sanding/painting marathon! Smile
scr8pin_f100
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on April 19th 2011, 11:26 pm

Another thing you can look into are these spray cans you can fill your self and pressurize with your own compressor. I think they are made by prevale or something like that. I have never used one so won't comment if they are any good or not. just another possibility.
However using one of these you could use regular auto enamel in the flaver of your choice, a bit more expensive but still cheaper than $10 bucks a can to have orielly's do it for you.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by scr8pin_f100 on April 20th 2011, 11:02 am

Yes, I think I know what you are talking about..And I have used the little prevail sprayer with the glass jar..I painted a firewall and door jambs with one..came out ok...The only prob. is that to go this route, one would have to go through and buy all the hardnerers and reducers..so, not sure if the costs would be the same...That is what intrigued me about the price that Orielly's quoted..that was $20 out the door..But then again, that is for only 11 oz.....heck who knows...

I realyl don't care how I end up doing it, just as long as it ends up decent on my truck!
scr8pin_f100
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Tires all almost done, now onto the next thing!

Post by scr8pin_f100 on April 20th 2011, 11:12 am

Ok, well I got the front tires on the wheels, and mounted on the truck..I also got both back wheels onto the rims, but still need to seal the bead with air..(ran out of light, working outside sucks!) Also, something interesting that I found when I broke the bead on the last rear tire..It was running with a tube..I had never seen one with a tube, granted I recognize that I "haven't seen it all", but thought that was interesting..incidentally, it was also the only tire still holding air, AND it was the toughest one to get off the rim!
I cannot say how glad I am to be done with that part of the job..I like my manual tire changer, but I'll be honest..IF a guy has the money to just pay and have it done, then do that...It is alot of work, some cussing, and a little blood...In the end, I like the fact that I can say that I did ALL of the work myself, even mounting the tires!

Now, I need to move onto the back brakes..They seem to be locked up..(actually, just as I typed that, I realized that the truck might have been in gear) I'll check that tonight, before I go tearing into the rear drums! I have a soft brake pedal..I was going to bleed all the brakes, but I couldn't get the fitting loose on the front, I am hoping I can bleed the rears, and that will fix the prob..
I'll keep you posted, and I will post pics of the progress soon!

Up next will be installing the turn signal switch, and installing the new steering wheel..Then I'm pulling it back out of the garage to install the seat and clean up the garage to make more room!
scr8pin_f100
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on April 20th 2011, 10:53 pm

retired plumber wrote:Another thing you can look into are these spray cans you can fill your self and pressurize with your own compressor. I think they are made by prevale or something like that. I have never used one so won't comment if they are any good or not. just another possibility.
However using one of these you could use regular auto enamel in the flaver of your choice, a bit more expensive but still cheaper than $10 bucks a can to have orielly's do it for you.
Mike
I've thought about just poking a hole in a used up spraycan, and installing an air chuck. It would need a check valve at the very least, (not to mention some sort of dryer) but I think I could probably cobble together something that would work. I have a nail gun style compressor, and that would probably be overkill...
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 598
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scr8pin_f100 on April 21st 2011, 3:37 pm

Tommy Hillbilly wrote:
retired plumber wrote:Another thing you can look into are these spray cans you can fill your self and pressurize with your own compressor. I think they are made by prevale or something like that. I have never used one so won't comment if they are any good or not. just another possibility.
Mike
I've thought about just poking a hole in a used up spraycan, and installing an air chuck. It would need a check valve at the very least, (not to mention some sort of dryer) but I think I could probably cobble together something that would work. I have a nail gun style compressor, and that would probably be overkill...

I worked at a shop that had one of these...We used it to spray degreaser on engines, etc..I don't know if it could be used for paint...might be hard to control the air flow..
BUT, this is a refillable container
scr8pin_f100
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Some undercoating and front tire pics!

Post by scr8pin_f100 on April 21st 2011, 3:43 pm

Ok, so as promised I am posting pics..These aren't that great, simply because I was taking the pic with my cell phone, while holding a shop light in the other...the lighting in my shop is poor at best, so that is what I have to do..BUT, the pics show the undercoating (which I will go back and touch up...) and I also showed my read end, so you can see the "before" version..Undercoating hides a lot of the grime, and is easy....

Also threw in a pic of one of the front tires! Not too shabby for $10 a tire!

scr8pin_f100
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Jaguar Front suspension clip

Post by scr8pin_f100 on May 16th 2011, 11:41 am

Well, I decided that I would not be doing this "low budget build" justice, unless I "clipped" it..So, after much research, I have decided to use a Jag. front suspension clip...As you can see, the suspension is self sustaining within its own crossmember..I will need to notch and weld into existing frame..I still want to be driving this truck before summers end so, I HAVE to KICK butt to get this in..All of this, AND working 2 jobs...ugh...
Anyways, thought you all might like to see some progress!

scr8pin_f100
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 16th 2011, 10:58 pm

I don't know how much wider the 68up fords are but I understand the newer crown vics also have a stand alone front end and fit almost perfectly under them and they are susposed to be cheap also. You might check them out at the ford-trucks.com forum. They also have a wealth of info for any ford truck dating back to the 40s.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by scr8pin_f100 on May 17th 2011, 1:45 am

retired plumber wrote:I don't know how much wider the 68up fords are but I understand the newer crown vics also have a stand alone front end and fit almost perfectly under them and they are susposed to be cheap also. You might check them out at the ford-trucks.com forum. They also have a wealth of info for any ford truck dating back to the 40s.
Mike

The 68 & up Fords are pretty similar in tread width, but a couple of things about the crown vic front end that discouraged me (I have done a lot of research, on that site, as well as others) First off, due to the size of brake rotors (larger 11"), require 16" wheels..Also, the tread width is a little wider than the older pickups, so they require a positive offset wheel..And lastly, around here, I was not able to find one cheaper than $400...And that last one was the biggest deterrent for me...let's face it, money talks! Isn't that why we are all here, for a cheaper option for a paint job? (save money??)
because
But, not knocking the swap, I would have done it, and they ALL have their pros and cons!
scr8pin_f100
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top