Brightside and wheels

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brightside and wheels

Post by Vinnems on April 18th 2011, 2:42 pm

Hey guys. First off, I hate everyone who has gotten great paint jobs from the roller Razz Razz Razz I paid $5k for a paint job only because I lacked any space to do it myself (and I know how to spray). Wish I'd found this method before.
Anyways, have a few questions regarding Brightside and paint wheels. This will be for my 74 Super Beetle
EDIT: Questions 1 and 2 answered by Interlux.
3. So, wheels. Not exactly a flat or level surface. Full of holes, recesses, and curves. Rollering is out of the question probably, but how are results from foam brushes?
4. Related to the above question, how does Brightside spray? I couldn't spray a car, but I can find room to spray my wheels, I think. Safety regarding this is appreciated, too. I'll be doing it outside and will wear a respirator, but I've sprayed some auto paints that even this wasn't good enough for in terms of saving your lungs.
Thanks guys!
Vinnems
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-04-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Brightside and wheels

Post by austin26372 on April 19th 2011, 10:16 pm

3. I've never had any luck with foam brushes, but I've seen others with pretty good results.

4. Not sure about Birghtside, but the Rusto Pro sprays pretty well with mineral spirits.
austin26372
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 121
Job/hobbies : Ford trucks!
Project : 1990 F-Superduty
Registration date : 2010-11-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on April 19th 2011, 10:56 pm

There are several different companys that make wheel paint in rattle cans that is metallic silver and can be found at any auto parts store. I have used these for years and have been very happy with them. In fact the stuff on my ranger wheels right now is rusto high preformace wheel paint (says so on the spray can) and I am real happy with it. It is a bright shiny metallic silver. What ever you do, don't just use just silver spray paint because it will turn dull and rub off. Been there, done that and have the t-shirt to prove it. Spray cans rock for wheels as far as I am concerned.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinnems on April 20th 2011, 3:46 am

Plumber, problem is I don't want silver wheels. I'm a fan of older 50s style paint wheels. I think I may have found an out via Benjamin Moore and their tintable M22 paint (it's the same as Brightside or Topside). I'll keep you guys posted.
I guess I'll try foam brushes on on wheel before attempting to spray. I really just don't want to spray Razz
Vinnems
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-04-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on May 17th 2011, 10:53 am

I painted these wheels with Brightside using the small foam brush and a small bristle brush to get in the creases. They came out fine, but the work was very tedious. I didn't thin the paint as much as I did for the car, but I still had to keep rechecking for runs.

If you have the means to safely spray your wheels, that might be preferable. But it is doable with a brush if you're not in a hurry.

The paint is very durable, and dirt and brake dust comes off easily.

snafu
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GreenMachine on May 20th 2011, 11:56 am

Nice job snafu. Any close up pics? I plan on painting some wheels soon too as I've got center caps and trim rings. I never really noticed, but Cougars have a side line similar to Buicks.
GreenMachine
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-12-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top