Rusto does make a clear in gallons?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rusto does make a clear in gallons?

Post by cuchullainn on April 24th 2011, 10:20 pm

Have been lurking here for a while, and have found this site to be a great wealth of info.

Just finishing up the body work on my '94 Caddy Fleetwood. I was gonna do the roller method, but I don't think I have the patience. So I'll be shooting.

So far the plan is to do the gloss white, thinned with ms and a hardener sprayed out of a summit lvlp. Probably do 3 coats, knock it down, and do 2-3 more if needed.

Next step...metal flake scallops. Roth flake and use the Trinity 1945 AE clear coat for carrier, sprayed out of a HF hvlp with a 1.8 tip. then I'll build over that as needed.

Now, if I can get a "transition" between the scallops and the white that I'm happy with, I'll leave it at that. If not, I'll be clearing the whole car. I am however, skeptical that the gallon of clear will be enough after flaking and building over it.

So I figured if it came up short I would just use rusto clear rattle cans to cover what I didn't get. rattle cans are a real PITA though, and what if it came up REALLY short?

After buying the reducer, hardener and the clear from trinity, the tally was almost $100 shipped to my door affraid and I really don't want to double that.

Now to get to my point, I was searching for another option for an AE clear, and I found this.

An alkyd enamel made by rusto, and it comes in clear. A gallon from Sears is 40 bucks. The thinner they recommend is an Acetone based thinner, just like stops rust. The TDS between the two looks similar. I'd like to give it a try thinned with MS with hardener. Unless you guys see something I don't that would screw everything up, I think I may go for it. If it sprays good I'll give it a try rolled too.

I could just order the trinity stuff and use ms and the hardener I have to save a few bucks, but for some reason I'm hesitant to thin that stuff with MS. Plus, rustoleum has proven quality, and I like to experiment. I'll be starting a project thread soon, sorry I don't have pics now.

cuchullainn
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-02-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rusto does make a clear in gallons?

Post by retired plumber on May 12th 2011, 12:22 am

Cool. Metalflake scallops. A man after my own heart. I love it. I'm sure a gallon would be enough. I did a 3/4 ton Ford supercab truck with a gallon and had a bit left over. Rattle cans just don't have enough paint in them and you would probably need a couple of dozen per coat to get a good one. One way to get away from an edge (sort of) would be after you do the flake, since you will have to bury them in clear anyway remask out a couple of inches before you clear and while you will get an edge you can just sand that little bit and not touch the flames and just buff that. Just a sugestion.
I looked all over for clear rusto and was told it only came in spray cans anymore.
If the paint from sears says you can clean up with mineral spirits you should be able to reduce with it also. If you can get a pint, you can check it out first before you get the gallon.
I will be watching for pictures because I grew up with flake and pearl and all that really neat stuff from the late 50s/early 60s and had a 50 merc leadsled.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cuchullainn on May 13th 2011, 11:54 pm

I just got the first coat of white on. orange peeled a bit, and a couple runs but I havn't sprayed in over 6 years so not bad considering. Great gloss. Still need a little fine tuning with the lvlp but seems to be a pretty easy to use, and actually very forgiving. With the hardener it should be dry enough to knock down and recoat tommorow, it was already just dry to the touch after 2 hours. Will post pics in the AM.
cuchullainn
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-02-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top