My Nissan, four years on

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My Nissan, four years on

Post by Noah Zarq on May 7th 2011, 7:33 am

I started my Nissan project about the time this site came to life, after first reading about it on moparts.com (all million pages or so!) but for some reason, my original posts and registration got eaten by a cybermonster! So, to make a long story shorter, I acquired a 1992 Sentra from my aunt for the price of free, provided I pull it out of her pasture where it sat for who knows how many years. It took $60 worth of gas and motor oil to get it back to Georgia, but it was worth it; it only had 89K on it, and the a/c was the coldest I've seen in many years. We got the oil leak fixed for $300, slapped some plates on it, and drove it about a week. My 16 year old announced he was going to be a daddy, so he needed something that would carry a car seat. I swapped his Ford Ranger for my Nissan, and that was that. To make it presentable after years of baking in the sun, I decided to roll it in Rustoleum Safety Red. Here's how it looked back in the day:

Very Happy
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra, 1984 Dodge Ram, 1995 Chrysler Concorde
Registration date : 2010-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My Nissan, four years on

Post by Noah Zarq on May 7th 2011, 7:47 am

The rims were originally black, but Justin got into an accident (not his fault) and one hubcap shattered. So I painted them Chrysler argent silver. The decision to roll on the paint job was because of this accident; the car was totalled, and I bought it back from the insurance company for $250. Apparently Florida does things differently than Georgia, so it never received a salvage title. We used the $2K insurance money on baby stuff and replacing the fender, bumper, turn signal, and paint/supplies.

Fast forward a year and a day, Justin got t-boned at a stop sign (again, not his fault). So I replaced the offending sheet metal, repainted what needed to be repainted, and he drove the fizz outta the car until last month. Ironically, the same aunt gave him a Ford Ranger, so now I got the car back (with double the miles!) and it comes full circle. Shocked Justin got married in the meantime, his wife has a 2010 Corolla, and he drives 70 miles to work every couple of days in the truck. He is a hose-dragger, I mean firefighter, so he only goes to work every third day. Must be nice!

Anyhoo, here is how a Rustoleum Safety Red paint job holds up when a kid drives it four years and never once washes or waxes it:

I put the Jeff Gordon sticker on there to aggravate him Twisted Evil

My goofy kid, now a man(?), painted a self-portrait on the car:

As you can see, other than some adhesion problems on the bumper and roof, Rustoleum does a great job!
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on May 7th 2011, 8:03 am

The paint would probably buff out if I sand it and buff it, and make a nice 15 footer. But one of my other kids commented on how all my cars in my entire life have either been red, blue, gold, or green. And I have had, conservative estimate off top of my head, 30 cars/trucks/motorcycles since I was 16 years old! Something must be done to add to my palette of car colors! So we got to joking around one day, and I decided to make my car stick out by painting it in a color scheme designed to make it not stick out! Yup, camouflage!

My local paint supplier is undergoing renovations, which is just perfect timing, because everything is on deep discount. I guess they want to move as little as possible to the warehouse, and paint is heavy! So for about half of what it cost to do the Nissan in red the first time, I got 2 containers of moss green, one of earth brown, and two of black. All were properly flattened and shaken, so now all I need is to find something that matches military loam color and I'm set. I already had the mineral spirits, tape, etc.

Prep is everything. Rims are no different; sand, sand, SAND! Clean with acetome or xylene, wipe clean, and go at it.
Before:

Prepped:

After!

My dad wanted me to do it in early Viet Nam war camo patterns, because that was his era. but I'm a Desert Storm era vet, so I went with woodland patterns because that's what my hummer had.

Prepping plastic is easy, just spray with Easy Off, hose off with a pressure washer, and scuff with Brillo. Paint with white Fusion paint, let it dry a few days, then do what ya like.

By the way, I have cheated so far and sprayed it on instead of rolling. Forgive me, but rolling a rim and grille would be horrible!

Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on May 7th 2011, 9:01 am

Noah Zarq wrote:The paint would probably buff out if I sand it and buff it, and make a nice 15 footer.
That's what I'm thinking. I wonder if Penatrol or a hardener would have warded off some of the clouding? Some of the paint on my car has that same haze to it.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 598
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on May 11th 2011, 4:12 pm

Got some time before work today, so I finished another rim, removed the plastic cowl and wiper arms, all the mouldings, screws, etc. and cleaned them with Easy Off. This stuff will kill your sinuses! But it will decimate Armor All without harming plastic, so I used it. Once everything was dried, I taped it up, sprayed it, then reinstalled it once the paint was no longer tacky. I also changed the oil, once I had figured out where the engineers hid the oil filter!
loco

Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by craigsnedeker on May 17th 2011, 3:04 pm

Looks good so far!
craigsnedeker
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2011-05-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on May 18th 2011, 8:25 pm

Just wet sanded the right front fender today to do a test. The brown came out good, but the moss was way too thin and ran in several spots. Evil or Very Mad Going to wait till it dries and sand the moss back down with 400 and maybe shoot it again. Weather today was cold (mid 50s) so I guess I should have waited until it got warmer. Oh well. I will post up a pic here in a little bit.
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Operation Camo Toe

Post by Noah Zarq on May 18th 2011, 9:06 pm

OK, here's a teaser. I ran it far worse than it looks, so some time soon (time permitting) I plan to sand the runs out of the moss colored part and respray, and go with some ordinary spray bomb flat black here and there. I am using my old BDU jacket as a pattern guide, just on a much larger scale. The BenMo moss green seems to flow a lot more than the shoe leather brown Rusto. The shine really settles down as it dries, but still is not flat. Still glad I have a good friend at the paint place who understands what I am trying to accomplish. He thinks I am crazy for doing it, but he understands how to mix paint.

The red is just left over from wet sanding and will wash off. One of my kids named it "Operation Camo Toe" for some reason.
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GreenMachine on May 20th 2011, 11:47 am

Don't think I've seen a camo Nissan before. This should be interesting. Make sure to get pics out in the wood and fields.
GreenMachine
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-12-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on May 20th 2011, 3:45 pm

Here's what soaking in muriatic acid will do for the chrome emblem:

I used to build model cars, and one way to get rid of the chrome plating (which often is so thick it hides detail) is to soak the piece in muriatic acid for a few minutes, then rinse thoroughly. But model car chrome is thin and only requires a five minute soak; Nissan's chrome is tough as nails and requires soaking for a few days. The acid does not harm most plastic. That's often what the acid container was made of any way.
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on July 5th 2011, 2:41 pm

OK, I had to take a hiatus due to work and medical issues in the family, but I did manage to get the hood sanded back down and resprayed. This stuff is thinned out pretty heavily due to the near 100 degree heat (otherwise it would dry before it hit the surface!) and so it ran a bit. Again. still, I dig the color, and surprisingly my dad likes it too. None of my friends do, however. Oh well. Sorry for the crappy phone pic.

Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down