New Project 1994 Acura Integra

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New Project 1994 Acura Integra

Post by JMJ Rick on January 23rd 2008, 5:09 pm

The new shiney paint should help sell. I had a random offer last night at the gas station. Some guy said, wow that car looks like it is in great shape, you interested in selling it?

Wheather here is about the same. Upper 20's but nice and sunny. I'm tired of the cold.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Printshop owner
Project : 91 Geo Storm GSi, 93 Geo Storm, 66 Chevy pickup
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by karlbasher on January 25th 2008, 12:52 am

well heres what i have to say from a personal outlook on this type of paint and experience. im not going to bash this paint job so dont take it like that but i would say that i would spray a car next time over this method because it takes alot of time to do and when it is done it takes alot of time to make it come out good. i also would not paint an Integra on my own again reason being that other than most cars and integra has a TON of body lines and the moldings have been a $*#@!. today me and friend did the whole passanger side and the rear hatch not all of the rear and we encountered 4 more burns little ones but still noticable if looking. the only thing that is pissing me off alot now is my moldings around the glass. i have taken a razor blade and taken off paint of the side moldings but when i taped i dident do the best job and so the paint is very rough right under the moldings. is there anyway to smooth them out friend said take wet sand paper and find a way to fit it in crack and smooth it. also what do i need to get off the paint and tape residue from moldings? because regular mineral spirits does not do it lol my friends said laquer thinner anyone else have anymore ideas????? where going to do the other side sunday and tommorow and saturday i am going to be cleaning off moldings and using polish and cleaner on them but i was going to buy some laquer thinner tonight.

another thing is that the paint is really smooth and looks really good but when you get up close you can see all circular motions ect usualy you can in stock paint to but do you guys think it will come out with foam applicator pad and carnuba wax and yellow wax. my friend think it will or do i need to buy swirl remover?
karlbasher
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2007-12-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tzyoung on January 25th 2008, 9:32 am

Acetone will dissolve the paint and tape residue on your moldings. Just be careful and keep it off of the rest of the paint on the car.
tzyoung
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 60
Job/hobbies : engineering student/Cars and RC planes
Project : 89 Camaro, 89 Honda Accord
Registration date : 2007-12-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on January 26th 2008, 6:28 pm

I understand that you wanted to cut out some of the work by doing the remaining coats without wetsanding but the purpose of wetsanding a vehicle is to keep the coats uniform. Not sure how much sanding you had to do to get it back smooth but it probably equals out to the same ammount if not more than you would have to do between coats. From my experience, wetsanding between coats kept the dust, bugs, runs, and orange peel out of my next few coats. If that method worked for you that's awesome but I would still recommend sanding every other coat. You get less and less orange peel after each coat which allows less and less sanding each time. On the last coat before I wetsanded or buffed my truck it looked as good if not better than most factory paintjobs you see today. Not knocking your theory and I know this doesnt sound true but I think it causes more work. Considering how much sanding time is reduced as the coats go up using the traditional method.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by karlbasher on January 28th 2008, 11:04 pm

i got a question just to ask i have been cleaning up side under moldings but on integras the moldings dont touch the bottom of the paint and so the paint goes under the windom moldings a little bit atleast on the rear and so i can see and contrast from old paint to new paint and roughness under them and all around my window edges where i taped for the most part. its not horrible but when you look up close its annoying. is there anything i can do about it besides repainting coats on top of it witout taping it off on corners? or should i just leave it how it is? i took a razer blade to windows and corners to get off some of the stuff that built up on sidings and that worked pretty well but like i said its still kinda rough up close on edges. also an update we did the suspension last night and the car is dumped now the rear wheels and tucked and the fronts are almost tucked but we dident do front all the way because the front bumpers not on yet and we wanna see how that sets also from the look of car right now i have camber in the front but will fix that when we lower it because i bought a full camber kit for the car that we put on. thx! any responses are helpful
karlbasher
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on January 29th 2008, 2:39 pm

Hmmm, can you take a picture of the molding problem that your having? I think it would help us out in suggesting what you should do. I'm confused about where your talking about. Also do you have any pictures of it slammed? I'd like to see it lowered.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by karlbasher on January 30th 2008, 4:18 am

ya ill post pictures this weekend. and the molding problem isint the paint on the moldings i can get that off with laquer thinner its that when i taped i taped over the whole molding which meant that underneath the moldings where the tape was covering i dident get paint there so you can see a ridge line. i did my best to get rid of it with a razor blade but if you look close you can see it transition from old paint to new paint under moldings same with the sides of my front windshield paint just dident get on the very corners right where the moldings where so its ridgedy like an impression you can see 1 layer of old paint and then it jump to the 12 layers of the new paint even though its smooth i guess its ok but ehh just me i am driving an INTEGRA after all not like its suppose to look like the best **** thing to ever hit america lol (oh wait integras are Razz )
karlbasher
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pinoyxpryde on January 30th 2008, 7:02 pm

i have the same problem on my car, i got around it by putting tape just on the edge of the trim right before it drops down to the metal, then after i do a whole coat on the car i come back with a foam brush and brush and/or fill the area with paint, the whole area comes out a little messy after words but its a tiny area you can easily wetsand to match the rest of the body

ill take pics tommorow right before i wetsand for you
pinoyxpryde
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-01-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on February 1st 2008, 2:00 pm

Good idea pino, I had to use a foam brush on several places when I painted my truck. In the door gaps and inside the tail light buckets. Places like that. I also used a little bit of the rustoleum spray paint in the same color which worked well.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by karlbasher on February 11th 2008, 11:43 am

OH shoot Heres the car in photo shot with all of it buffed out except the front.

karlbasher
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tzyoung on February 12th 2008, 12:07 am

Hey,
I'd drive it.Very Happy Looks great. Now get some pictures of it in the sun so we can pick it apart lol. From what I can tell, you did a fine job on the car and you can say that you did it yourself.
tzyoung
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 60
Job/hobbies : engineering student/Cars and RC planes
Project : 89 Camaro, 89 Honda Accord
Registration date : 2007-12-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on February 14th 2008, 2:08 am

Hey man your car came out great. I think it looks good. Get us some sunny pictures so we can see how bright it really is. Are you happy with the way it turned out? That's really all that matters.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by karlbasher on February 14th 2008, 2:15 am

i think it looks better than it did before i wouldent say im 100 percent satisfied but im more satisified than i was before i started painting it so thats good. i still want a manual though and its hard to trade an automatic integra
karlbasher
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on February 14th 2008, 2:46 am

Nothin' like jammin' gears man I know how you feel. Out of the 8 cars i've had only 3 have been automatics. Car looks good anyway man regardless of the tranny. Dealerships would probably give you more on trade in value because automatics are easier to sell to the general public.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by karlbasher on July 5th 2008, 9:28 pm

ok guys i have not responded to this post in forever but i sold the car awhile back but anyways heres some of the pics in the light

karlbasher
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by karlbasher on July 5th 2008, 9:29 pm

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif
karlbasher
Rank