Hello Everybody

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello Everybody

Post by way2fasts on May 18th 2011, 3:43 am

Hello Everybody I am actually extremely glad I found this forum, because I am basically going to start working on my truck tomorrow. A little bit of back story, Basically I have had a ton of cars, but I moved up to Washington for school and I did not want to drive my gto because of the pot holes and the weather, so I was on youtube and saw a story about a guy trading stuff for a porsche and said what the hell, well i created an ad on craigslist to trade my guitar and within hours I got tons of offers, well most vehicles were crap and about to fall apart, but I found one I liked a 94 F150 with only 57xxx miles. Well I absolutely love the truck, the color and the paint not so much. So I decided to paint my truck, well I was on a couple other forums and found this so I though I would give it a try. Well I am going to start working on it tomorrow but I have a few questions

1 i was at a paint store and the guy said to buy 400 grit sand paper and I have been reading on here and other places to use 320, is 400 not going to be abrasive enough
2 also I have heard that If body pannel colors dont match there will be discoloration in the final product, is this true, and how do I fix it
3 I want to use bondo in some areas of the truck, after I am done with it can I just paint over it or do I have to do something else

And I will upload some pictures as well as a photoshopped pic of what I hope the truck will look like
way2fasts
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello Everybody

Post by way2fasts on May 18th 2011, 3:45 am

ok so here is the before when I first bought the truck, It originally came with stock grey bumpers and wheels but I painted that all within hours of getting it

and here is the final product, I think I am going to paint the grill red as well

any help as well as tips will be greatly appreciated,
way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on May 18th 2011, 10:04 am

Nice looking Ford.

400 should be fine, but you'll want something coarser for working the areas you bondo -180 or 220 at least. It would be a good idea to clean the truck thoroughly with dish soap before you start sanding to ensure there's no wax or anything else that might cause adhesion problems.

A coat or two of primer is the best way to ensure the final paint is all one color. Since you are doing bodywork and will have some areas with bondo, a primer coat would be best.
snafu
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by craigsnedeker on May 18th 2011, 10:39 am

Looks great! I'd go on eBay and get some pinstripe (1/4" maybe, or smaller, you can get like 150 foot for $20-$30) to separate the colors, will look great.

Here's a photo edit I did of my car:

You can see what I mean.

But great colors, can't wait to see what it looks like when your finished.
craigsnedeker
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2011-05-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on May 18th 2011, 12:50 pm

craigsnedeker wrote:Looks great! I'd go on eBay and get some pinstripe (1/4" maybe, or smaller, you can get like 150 foot for $20-$30) to separate the colors, will look great.

Here's a photo edit I did of my car:

You can see what I mean.

But great colors, can't wait to see what it looks like when your finished.

by far i think red and black is one of the simplest and best looking paint combos out there. What color red are you going to go with, i am stuck decidiging between the safety red rustoleum or the gloss sunrise red. They look similar on the can but apparently the sunrise is a little darker.

you need to keep me posted on your progress I would love to know any tips you find out along the way
way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by craigsnedeker on May 18th 2011, 1:08 pm

actually I picked up flat black by mistake. So I might do the two-tone anymore, because gloss red + flat black might not mix. Since I only have the tail gate painted, I could probably re-do it with gloss black, but I don't have the $30 for another gallon of paint.
craigsnedeker
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on May 18th 2011, 3:17 pm

how much paint are you expecting to go through painting your truck, because I bought a quart of black and quart of red, thought that would be enough once i thinned it out, hopefully its not to little
way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by craigsnedeker on May 18th 2011, 3:21 pm

I got a gallon of black. I think I could paint two cars with this.

You might need more then two quartes, but it depends on the size of your car. You have a pretty long truck, but since your only going half each color, you *should* be good.
craigsnedeker
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by austin26372 on May 18th 2011, 8:44 pm

Nice truck! I'd stray away from painting the grille red, but that's my opinion.

Go ahead and grab a gallon of black; you might need it for odd jobs around the truck.

What engine does it have?
austin26372
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 121
Job/hobbies : Ford trucks!
Project : 1990 F-Superduty
Registration date : 2010-11-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 19th 2011, 8:02 pm

You definately need to primer over the bondo and onto the surrounding body or else you WILL see the spot. At least two coats and then sand and check by running water over it and let it "sheet" and sight down the repair. If you can't see you are good to go. If you still see it, you need to fix it a bit more. A proven fact about bodywork. "if you even think you see something in primer, you WILL see it in final color".
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on May 19th 2011, 8:32 pm

austin26372 wrote:Nice truck! I'd stray away from painting the grille red, but that's my opinion.

Go ahead and grab a gallon of black; you might need it for odd jobs around the truck.

What engine does it have?

thanks its the 4.9 inline 6, i have heard tons of good things about these engines, apparently there is a rummor that ford tweaked the 6 cylinder engines for the 10th gens because they lasted too long
way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on May 19th 2011, 8:33 pm

retired plumber wrote:You definately need to primer over the bondo and onto the surrounding body or else you WILL see the spot. At least two coats and then sand and check by running water over it and let it "sheet" and sight down the repair. If you can't see you are good to go. If you still see it, you need to fix it a bit more. A proven fact about bodywork. "if you even think you see something in primer, you WILL see it in final color".
Mike

if i paint over the bondo areas do i have to paint the whole truck with primer cause it would get really expensive, a can of sandable primmer was 7 bucks,
way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by austin26372 on May 19th 2011, 10:17 pm

way2fasts wrote:thanks its the 4.9 inline 6, i have heard tons of good things about these engines, apparently there is a rummor that ford tweaked the 6 cylinder engines for the 10th gens because they lasted too long

I6's are indestructible! Can't beat em for being a 6er.
austin26372
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 121
Job/hobbies : Ford trucks!
Project : 1990 F-Superduty
Registration date : 2010-11-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 19th 2011, 10:53 pm

I usually can find primer for under $5 and yes, you should prime the whole truck to get it one color. Reason being that It helps the finish color to be even. I painted my truck red over three different colors of primer on the hood. Looked real good but in the right light I could see the difference. If you paint the whole thing black tho I don't think it makes much difference. You don't need much, just enough to color it lightly, I would guess about 3 cans would do.
I would also price a large auto parts store for the vinyl stripe. It might be cheaper then EBAY when you figure shipping. Just a suggestion.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on May 19th 2011, 11:55 pm

retired plumber wrote:I usually can find primer for under $5 and yes, you should prime the whole truck to get it one color. Reason being that It helps the finish color to be even. I painted my truck red over three different colors of primer on the hood. Looked real good but in the right light I could see the difference. If you paint the whole thing black tho I don't think it makes much difference. You don't need much, just enough to color it lightly, I would guess about 3 cans would do.
I would also price a large auto parts store for the vinyl stripe. It might be cheaper then EBAY when you figure shipping. Just a suggestion.
Mike

is there a roll on primmer that i could buy to be cheaper than cans?

or if i go to walmart and get some of their cheap 1 dollar primmer will that work and still be sandable?

Last edited by way2fasts on May 20th 2011, 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on May 20th 2011, 12:08 am

and what sand paper would i use to scuff up the paint for primer, 200, 300, 400?
way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 22nd 2011, 6:43 pm

Don't know about the walmart primer but as long as it is not a primer sealer it should be sandable. It should say on the can also. For a buck you can try it on something else (old wheelbarrow for instance).
I like 320-360 grit for final sanding. Any thing rougher will cut faster but will leave deep sanding scratches which will show later. I do know this for a fact.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on May 23rd 2011, 1:20 am

so before putting on the primmer i should sand for 200, or should i sand it for 400
way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by craigsnedeker on May 23rd 2011, 8:44 am

200 would do more to cut the putty down.
craigsnedeker
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 23rd 2011, 9:48 pm

Here is how I do it for bondo. I start with 36grit for a rough shape. Then up to 80 or so to get closer. Since these leave big scratches I will jump to a 200 something grit and finish with 320. A couple of coats of primer with 400 and you should be good to go. At least that is the way I have been doing it for almost 50 years and it works for me.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on May 24th 2011, 1:04 am

retired plumber wrote:Here is how I do it for bondo. I start with 36grit for a rough shape. Then up to 80 or so to get closer. Since these leave big scratches I will jump to a 200 something grit and finish with 320. A couple of coats of primer with 400 and you should be good to go. At least that is the way I have been doing it for almost 50 years and it works for me.
Mike

yea i think i really need to work on my tailgate some more, i worked it out with 80 grit which took forever then tried to do a finish before the first coat of primmer with 150, which left tons of scratches everywhere so i am thinking about sanding the whole tailgate down with 300 then trying some roll on primmer instead of the spray stuff
way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 25th 2011, 11:47 pm

If you have really bad scratches you can fill them with glaze. It comes in a tube and is made for that and small rock chips, etc. get it at a auto parts store.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by craigsnedeker on May 26th 2011, 7:26 am

I got it, and it is amazing. Also called spot putty.
craigsnedeker
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top