Starting To Sand

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Starting To Sand

Post by karlbasher on December 24th 2007, 7:38 pm

Ok so today i went out and bought all the supplies except the wet and dry sand paper i will pick it up in quantites of 400,600,800,and 1000 in a couple days. but i also bought an electronic sander today to make it easier and it came with 80,160,and 280 grits should i be usuing the 280 to get all the old paint off the car? should i lay painting tape down right before i repaint or before i sand, and do i have to use wet sand paper by hand after every 2 coats thx i wanna get started soon so quick responses will help. also i have a wing on my car and front bumper should i take them off and paint them or just tape off lights and then paint everything i can see? i have the front bumper off the car right now just because i was doing motor work but it seeme's harder to paint it off the car for some reason lol
karlbasher
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2007-12-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting To Sand

Post by coreyd on December 24th 2007, 8:18 pm

280 would be good to use, but b carful not to tak off too much material, meaning dont sand down to bare metal. Also i would put the bumper on the car first because the paint doesnt have any flex agent in it
coreyd
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2007-12-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by badbyrdkoncepts on December 25th 2007, 1:17 am

coreyd wrote:280 would be good to use, but b carful not to tak off too much material, meaning dont sand down to bare metal. Also i would put the bumper on the car first because the paint doesnt have any flex agent in it
good point i didn't even think of that glad you caught that bro
badbyrdkoncepts
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 109
Project : 1986 pontiac trans am
Registration date : 2007-12-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on December 25th 2007, 11:34 am

good suggestions

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by karlbasher on December 26th 2007, 6:17 am

ya i sanded down to bare metal in alot of places but i bought rastolium primer to put over those parts anyways. and also i was told that rastolium dident even mater if you had sanded down to bare metal because it stick to metal to.
karlbasher
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2007-12-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by badbyrdkoncepts on December 26th 2007, 9:59 am

karlbasher wrote:ya i sanded down to bare metal in alot of places but i bought rastolium primer to put over those parts anyways. and also i was told that rastolium dident even mater if you had sanded down to bare metal because it stick to metal to.
this is true as long has you feather the bare spots out reallly well so it's not unlevel, the primer helps with the leveling some
badbyrdkoncepts
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 109
Project : 1986 pontiac trans am
Registration date : 2007-12-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down