Project 1994 F150

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Project 1994 F150

Post by way2fasts on May 23rd 2011, 1:25 am

I already posted on the new members section, but i figured i would make a project thread because I have a ton of pictures that I want to put up.

Truck- 1994 f150 4.9l inline 6, 2x4 with a 5 speed and only 57,000 miles

Plan- when i got the truck it was in generally bad shape, dents everywhere and panels weren't matching. So I have a lot of time free this summer, so i decided to paint my truck, in my apartment complex parking lot, should be interesting. I saw a two toned f150 online and decided, hey if i could do a 100 dollar paint job I would be happy, but saying that I blew the budget and it quickly turned into a 200 dollar job, but if it comes out good I will be happy.

Here is the truck when i first got it

and here is a photoshopped image of it with the paint

way2fasts
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Project 1994 F150

Post by way2fasts on May 23rd 2011, 1:28 am

So today I have been working on the truck today and it is going alot slower than i thought, i have been trying to do bondo by hand, which is a real pain wish i was using a da, because hand sanding is really tiring and time consumming but here are a few pictures of the tailgate i have been working on

forgot to get a pic before but here is it in progress

After aton of bondo work, for alot of very small dings, put thankfully it is pretty much straight, now getting ready for paint, sanded with 150 grit, it might be a little rough but it should even out once i wetsand with 400

used rustoleum primer, came out alot darker than i expected but it should work

Last edited by way2fasts on May 23rd 2011, 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on May 23rd 2011, 1:36 am

Now I need some advice on my truck, I have a huge dent in my door which I dont even want to try to fill with bondo, cause i know it is going to fail, So i took my door pannal apart and was going to hammer out the dent, but i cant actually get my hammer inside of the door because the cut out is too small, does anyone have any advice of what to do?

the dent, it is really not showing up that good in pictures, but it is about six inches long by about 4 or 5 inches, so its noticable

the door panel, i can fit the hammer in but i cant move it far enough to hit band it out

any advice minus buying a new door would be greatly appreciated
way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on May 23rd 2011, 1:44 am

Can you stick a metal bar (like a jack handle) through from the inside, and place it against the dent? If so, then you could hammer on the bar, which would transfer the impact to the doorskin...
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 598
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on May 23rd 2011, 1:48 am

Tommy Hillbilly wrote:Can you stick a metal bar (like a jack handle) through from the inside, and place it against the dent? If so, then you could hammer on the bar, which would transfer the impact to the doorskin...

That might work, I will give it a try tomorrow, Just wondering if having a cross jack will fit all the way through the door
way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on May 23rd 2011, 7:55 am

Slide hammer. Used one on my Ford truck. Works great.
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra, 1984 Dodge Ram, 1995 Chrysler Concorde
Registration date : 2010-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on May 23rd 2011, 5:28 pm

Noah Zarq wrote:Slide hammer. Used one on my Ford truck. Works great.

do they make any you dont have to weld pins into the side, becasue i dont have a welder.

and i tried hammering it out with a wrench and did not work at all, it just left a bunch of tiny dents all in the middle of the hole.
way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on May 23rd 2011, 7:32 pm

way2fasts wrote:
do they make any you dont have to weld pins into the side, becasue i dont have a welder.

and i tried hammering it out with a wrench and did not work at all, it just left a bunch of tiny dents all in the middle of the hole.
You can drill a hole, feed a bolt or some sort of anchor through, and attach it to the slide hammer. That's what they used before the spot-weld kind.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 23rd 2011, 10:27 pm

You need a slapping dolly Smile . Yes, there actually is such a thing and you can make one. Its a long piece of steel about 1-1 1/2in wide with a small kink in the middle (so you don't smash your pinkey when you swing it). Make sure the ends are rounded a bit. You also should use a back up dolly. If there is 3in of space they work fine. with a tight space like a door it will take a little while but (with paitence) you can make your door dent free with out even using bondo. This also deletes the need to drill holes in the door for the slide hammer. Just another alternative.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on May 25th 2011, 4:48 am

retired plumber wrote:You need a slapping dolly Smile . Yes, there actually is such a thing and you can make one. Its a long piece of steel about 1-1 1/2in wide with a small kink in the middle (so you don't smash your pinkey when you swing it). Make sure the ends are rounded a bit. You also should use a back up dolly. If there is 3in of space they work fine. with a tight space like a door it will take a little while but (with paitence) you can make your door dent free with out even using bondo. This also deletes the need to drill holes in the door for the slide hammer. Just another alternative.
Mike

where would i buy one of those, i went down to harbor freight and couldnt find one, I am trying to find a cheap fix for this, because if i can get it banged out enough i will be able to finish the rest off with bondo, but right now there is no way i can use bondo for it
way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 25th 2011, 11:57 pm

Make it your self. Its cheaper that way. Laughing Get steel from a scrap yard or a steel supplier. Buy it by the pound. 3/8in thick by 1 1/2 in wide by 2ft long and follow the above instructions.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on May 26th 2011, 5:04 pm

Do you have any pictures of it, I want to know what I am looking for when I go to get some metal
way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 26th 2011, 7:55 pm

Sorry, no pictures but just give them the deminsions and they will fix you up.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on May 29th 2011, 4:15 am

Ok so an update on the truck I am putting the door on hold for the moment I am spending way to much time and getting nowhere but u was able to finish one of the sides of the bed and roll on primmer, well I did not mix any mineral spirits into it because I thought it would eliminate the point of the primer and well it came out with mega orange peel so I was wondering what is a good mixture for primmer and mineral spirits
way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on June 1st 2011, 3:45 am

i have been making some very slow progress on the truck but luckily i have the day off tomorrow so i might finally get the whole truck primed

way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on June 6th 2011, 9:41 pm

hello everybody have not posted on here for a few days, well on friday i finally rolled my first coat of black on top, was busy during the weekend and so i went out today to start sanding it with 600, but i have a HUGE PROBLEM, MY PAINT IS NOT STICKING, AND IS STILL VERY TACKY IN SOME PLACES. i have read about many people painiting in the morning and sanding at night, the paint had three days to dry, which the jar says sandable after 24 hours. I dont know what to do I used all rustoeloum products, primer and paint, 100% mineral spirits mixed 3 2, the paint looked great on the truck, only problem was you could see the areas were i sanded with 220 instead of 340, so if anyone out there can help me i would appreciate it, cause right now i am in 200 bucks and i have a truck that is torn apart with paint that is not sticking to it.

i will get some pictures up in a little bit, but i am pissed, ive put so much work into this truck and now the paint is just going

way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on June 6th 2011, 9:47 pm

ok so here is the truck after i finished putting on the paint

and here is were the problem started, i was on the hood and the paint was gumming up my sandpaper so i decided to move to the roof, and that was even worse. the roof looked perfect, minus the scratches left from sanding previously, then i hit it with 600 wet, by hand for less than 20 seconds and this happened

there was also orange dust everywhere i have no idea where that came from

next to the section i didnt sand

way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on June 6th 2011, 10:13 pm

One guess would be you put it on really thick and if you did it in what looks like a parking garage, it was cool and no air circulation. If you can, stick it in the sun for a while.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on June 6th 2011, 10:37 pm

how can you tell if you are putting it on too thick, cause when i was painting i would go over a panel like the hood then go do the rest of the truck, then come back and do the same thing untill it looked like it was starting to be filled in, should i only go at it once and call it quits for that coat?
way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on June 6th 2011, 10:51 pm

I would say you have it on too thick. You have amazing coverage for one coat. Rustoleum when it's not diluted enough or too thick takes a lifetime (it'll seem) to dry. Your first coat needs to barely cover.. it'll be so see through you'll be disgusted for a bit that it doesn't look like you did anything or if it'll ever cover. Around coats 3 and 4 it starts to fill in and look good. I didn't re-read your thread but I think you sanded before you started. You can't paint without doing that. I missed a spot on my rocker once and the first time through the car wash it blew it off! lol Scuff everything before painting.
Don't give up. take it out in the sun like suggested above! Hotter the better.
DaveB
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 29
Job/hobbies : Contractor/Chevys/Poker
Project : 1995 rcsb Silverado
Registration date : 2010-11-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on June 7th 2011, 1:50 am

cant believe i did that, but it would make sense, the paint looked great right after rolling, and i was wondering why everybody needed 8 coats, now i know why, i think i might just take all of the black off by a da and re due the whole section, cause i want this truck done in two weeks,
way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on June 15th 2011, 4:28 pm

Well its been awhile since i last updated but there has been alot of work done to the truck, i wound up sanding off all the black because it was not coming out right, but after cutting it back and putting some more black on it really started to change. currently the truck has 3 coats of red and 2 of black, still needs alot of work, but glad it is starting to come out good. The one thing i found out is my body work skills need alot of work, but its a truck so the minor blemishes are to be expected.

also got some new rims for the truck, so its going to start looking pretty cool

way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on June 15th 2011, 4:47 pm

Can't wait to see the finished project. Looking good so far. Painting in a parking garage? How many "looks" are you getting from others parking their car? I'm sure you got a couple of stories.
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on June 15th 2011, 11:36 pm

I would have loved to have had a parking garage to work in.

That's a pretty cool color scheme. Looks good.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on June 16th 2011, 3:08 am

thanks, its actually really nice being in a garage, it seems like every time i paint it starts to rain, so its really nice just having a place to keep the truck till it dries, but yea it is halarious working in a parking lot, my freinds thought i was crazy, and everyone else just stares, but it is finally comming together, so at least i am getting attention for it looking good instead of just crap, its actually been interesting driving the truck around town, you get so many more stares driving down the road with the truck complelty apart

but the one thing i am getting concerned about is the fact that after four coats i can still see alot of diffrent colors through the paint, so, i want to finish it soon but dont want to put a million coats on it
way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next