1987 Celica ST Project (down the road probably)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1987 Celica ST Project (down the road probably)

Post by ycartf on May 23rd 2011, 8:26 pm

I have a 1987 Toyota Celica ST that is in pretty nice condition for a 25 year old car. There are a few spots I would like to repair / touch up and then paint the whole thing eventually. We are wanting to get a house with an enclosed garage for me to work on cars in within a couple or three years, so maybe then. Meanwhile, I have been researching this method of painting and stumbled upon this site. I have not yet found (on here) the exact procedure outlined, but from what I have gleaned from numerous sources online (who have done it), it appears this is general procedure below. Please provide any info that is better or more accurate than the procedure below. I also have some pictures of my car and the areas I would be working on below.

Procedure -

Use Rustoleum brand everything- primer, paint, clearcoat. Check packages for compatibility and ability to withstand heat.

Perform necessary bodywork (rust, dents, body filler)

Remove as much trim, emblems, mirrors, moulding as possible, tape up the remainder

Use no finer than 300 grit sandpaper for the initial prep before applying paint (to give it something to grip to). Use a flexible sanding block, special caution used on high spots.

Don't "have to" have a primer with the Rustoleum

Use 100% pure mineral spirits for diluting paint and dilute 50/50 (about as thin as milk)
Two quarts of paint should suffice

Use 4" foam rollers, foam brushes for small spaces

Apply first coat, put thin coats on with an almost-dry roller

Bubbles and runs will mostly settle themselves and should not be worried about for the most part

Dry 24 hours between coats (in an environment as free from dust & contaminants as possible)

Wipe down with a tack cloth and have surface completely clean and dry between coats

Apply second coat and allow to dry for 24 hours

Wet sand with 600 grit sandpaper and a flexible block, removing as little paint as possible and only enough to level runs and orange peel, special caution used on high spots, edges, peaks
Keep surface & paper wet, rinse paper often and wipe down often to remove residue

Wipe down well and allow to dry completely before the next two coats

Use same procedures as coats 1 and 2 to apply coats 3 and 4, then 5 and 6, etc (until good coverage is obtained)

Once coverage is obtained, use 1500 grit sandpaper (600 first where necessary) to wet sand

Wait a week after the final coat before buffing, ensure it is totally dry

Buff with a medium-strength wool bonnet (to remove sanding marks) and a foam bonnet (to bring out the shine). Use Norton's Liquid Ice buffing compound (or anything that is appropriate for synthetic enamel paint - some have used Turtle Wax Polishing Compound). Touch up any paint that is noticed to need it while buffing.

This is my car, with pictures of damaged areas below -

Hood on driver's side (small chip of paint gone too)

Hood view 2

Hood view 3

Cracked paint on roof

Other cracked paint on roof

Area above left rear tire (unknown cause, no bare metal or rust)

Another view of above left rear tire

Area behind and below left rear tire, general indention in whole area

Rear bumper. Cracked paint but intact bumper cover. Small rusted area below taillight where vegetation was compacted.

Thanks, and I look forward to learning more, painting my car eventually, and sharing on here.

Tracy
ycartf
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1987 Celica ST Project (down the road probably)

Post by retired plumber on May 23rd 2011, 9:02 pm

Hi Tracy
There is no "exact formula" for this. What you have planned is pretty good with the exception of using just 600 grit paper. You need to use finer grits as you progress, especially on the final coat. The 600 will leave big scratches. Keep reading and learning and it will turn out fine. Nice looking car and by the way welcome .
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ycartf on May 23rd 2011, 9:05 pm

I have down using 1500 for final coat. Isn't that good? I figured from the procedure I was reading (where they used 600 for each stage prior to the final stage) that the 600 must leave enough of a texture for subsequent coats of paint to adhere to, but I have never done this.

Thanks,
Tracy
ycartf
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 23rd 2011, 9:37 pm

1500 is fine for the final. Its just you had both in the same sentance and I misunderstood.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ycartf on May 23rd 2011, 9:42 pm

OK. Thanks! Very Happy

Tracy
ycartf
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on May 24th 2011, 10:07 am

I would seriously consider using Rustoleum Topside paint like Rob is using on his 68 Mustang. It doesn't cost too much more and it will have better gloss and be more resistant to UV rays and chemicals.

Good luck!
snafu
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ycartf on May 24th 2011, 12:04 pm

That is the first I have heard of Rustoleum "Topside" paint. Is it also readily available (like Lowes or Home Depot)?

The best thing is - I have plenty of time to plan and prepare for this (and learn from others), as I do not have a good place to do this that is out of the elements and contaminants until we move in 2 or 3 years (swore to myself it will have an enclosed shop area).

Thanks,
Tracy
ycartf
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on May 24th 2011, 6:03 pm

My local hardware store does carry it, but I live in a town with a lot of boaters. If you can't find it locally, Summit Racing sells it for $12.95.
snafu
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ycartf on June 9th 2011, 3:51 am

I have a couple of questions to ask of folks who have done a rolled-on paint job.

Do you use the same method on bumper covers / plastic stuff?

What method is used to get down into the edges between body panels/edges, especially if you are doing a slightly different shade?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Tracy
ycartf
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on June 9th 2011, 9:05 pm

Not sure about plastic, but I'm guessing it would be fine. I've painted fiberglass with no issues.

Edges and between body panels? You can use a foam brush. I did that. A quicker option is to spray them with a rattle can...do your first two coats with your roller. Let that dry...then hit all your hard to get spots with a rattlecan...then wetsand any overspray off the panels. You're wetsanding after two coats anyway.

rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top