86 Fiero Sport

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

86 Fiero Sport

Post by jwrape on June 16th 2011, 12:22 pm

Well, I STUMBLED upon this forum, but I love it.
I had seen the $50 paint job 4-5 years ago and always wanted to try it.
Well, I have a test case. I have a 86' Fiero Sport that I pulled out of a back yard and hasn't ran since 06'. I have it running but it needs new paint.
jwrape
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2011-06-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 86 Fiero Sport

Post by 63Falconconvert on June 18th 2011, 3:50 pm

cool project....love the garade floor.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on June 26th 2011, 9:05 pm

Does it have the V6 motor? Those are fun to drive. My wife was driving a red fiero when we starting dating....hmmm....22 years ago.
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jwrape on June 28th 2011, 6:04 am

No, that one is a 2.5L Iron Duke 4cyl. My Fiero GT has a V6, they are both fun to drive though.
jwrape
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on June 28th 2011, 7:46 am

what is that little black thing on the rear quarter between the door & the wheel?
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jwrape on June 28th 2011, 7:49 am

63Falconconvert wrote:what is that little black thing on the rear quarter between the door & the wheel?

Lol, the Air intake on Fiero's is right there and my GT has a air scoop that helps shove air into the filter.
It's funny with the window down you can hear it sucking air. Supposed to be a little more performance, but who knows. the car came with it.

You can see a normal vent here.
jwrape
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on June 28th 2011, 8:14 am

engine is in the rear? Not to many Fiero's left here in NY
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jwrape on June 28th 2011, 8:17 am

63Falconconvert wrote:engine is in the rear? Not to many Fiero's left here in NY

Yea, the engines are mid engines. Either 2.5L 4 cyl or the 2.8L V6.

Yea, the rust kills them up north. My GT has a little, but very little. Mainly around the battery. They are actually pretty rare around here too. They are usually in back yards under weeds and trees.

jwrape
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on June 28th 2011, 8:26 am

can you still get parts for them?
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jwrape on June 28th 2011, 8:37 am

63Falconconvert wrote:can you still get parts for them?

Um.... Yea, mostly... Ebay is your friend and what's better is to become a member of your local Fiero Club and most Fiero owners help each other keep them on the road. I've got a lot of good friends in the club that help me find parts.

A lot of owners will convert their Fiero's to the 3.8L SuperChargered OR Naturally Aspirated motors and tranny's from the Grand Prix's. It makes the drive train MUCH more reliable. It's a pretty simple swap and almost 250 hp in a little fiberglass car is VERY fun from what I've heard and seen. I want to convert.

The best part aside from the power is that with the swap is 32mpg at least with the 4 speed auto tranny and the fuel injection upgrade. Just better all around. Even the N/A 3.8L is 225hp is a really nice in the car. No need for extra power unless you just like it.
Here is a list of some combinations for the car that have been done.
http://www.gmtuners.com/fuel_econ.htm

They are pretty cheap if you find them in back yards like I have. My Silver Sport 4cyl was $400 originally. I have about $1500 in it totally to get it drivable. Still needs seat covers and paint. But that will come soon enough. My GT I traded my Broken Zero Turn mower for it. The hydrolic pump was bad on the mower and the guy still wanted to trade. I couldn't pass up the steal. :-)
The parts are usually pretty cheap with the exception of the more Rare parts. I usually get little used parts for $20-$30 from Ebay or Forum members. The cars are just fun all around. BUT you have to be a mechanic of sorts cause they are 25 years old and have their issues from age. I just start replacing sensors and such as I can. i believe I have replaced every sensor in mine except one on the tranny so far. But they are $20-$48 each so they are not to bad.

You should look at Pennock's Fiero Forum here: http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true
jwrape
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jwrape on June 28th 2011, 8:41 am

Oh, I got the Silver one on it's wheels again and got it insured. I just have to get a alignment before driving it.
jwrape
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on June 28th 2011, 9:05 am

I think it's cool that you can get into a 2 seater sports car for not a whole lot of cash. I like the fact that you can swap drive trains without to much difficulty.
Like any old car you have to be able to at least perform simple fixes or your local machinic is going to get rich off of you...lol I have used ebay to find parts for all of the cars that I have restored. As much as I would rather go to a swap meet sometimes you just don't have a choice but to hit the "buy it now" button.
Now the Fiero was made by Pontiac, was the car produced here in the states or over sea's?
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on June 28th 2011, 9:07 am

You scored big time on both of your rides. There are deals out there you just have to turn over some rocks to find them.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jwrape on June 28th 2011, 9:07 am

63Falconconvert wrote:
Now the Fiero was made by Pontiac, was the car produced here in the states or over sea's?

I do believe it's built here. Matter of fact I am almost certain.
jwrape
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jwrape on June 28th 2011, 9:08 am

63Falconconvert wrote:You scored big time on both of your rides. There are deals out there you just have to turn over some rocks to find them.

Yea, I am a VERY good backyard shopper. LOL!
jwrape
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on June 28th 2011, 9:23 am

lol....I know what you mean, I'll be driving and see a tail light of a car buried in some guys garage and I'll look over to my wife and say look there is a blah blah blah in that guys garage. She will say, how can you see that, you can't find the milk in the frig thats sitting 6 inches from your face but you can spot an old car buried under a ton of crap 50 yards away driving 60 MPH. I just tell her "it's a gift"....
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jwrape on June 28th 2011, 9:27 am

63Falconconvert wrote:lol....I know what you mean, I'll be driving and see a tail light of a car buried in some guys garage and I'll look over to my wife and say look there is a blah blah blah in that guys garage. She will say, how can you see that, you can't find the milk in the frig thats sitting 6 inches from your face but you can spot an old car buried under a ton of crap 50 yards away driving 60 MPH. I just tell her "it's a gift"....

Oh my wife says I pay more attention to my cars than her.
I say I am just good with cars. What else can I say. LOL!
jwrape
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on June 28th 2011, 9:43 am

What color are you thinking about using?
Rolled on is really a great forum. All of the guys are layed back and quick to give advice or help out. The Falcon forum I'm on is great for getting info but if you do something that goes against the grain (like rolling paint) it's like WWIII just broke out. Some guys need to relax and learn that there is more then 1 way (or should I say there way) to do things. Like most of the guys on this forum, my Falcon is a daily driver. If I was building it for show then I would spend 5000 on paint but thats not what this car is for.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jwrape on June 28th 2011, 10:37 am

Well, I was just going to re-paint it Silver. I hate to switch colors for the same reason I have on my GT. It was originally Red and now Gray and there is red spots sticking out here and there and chips are VERY obvious.
I would rather vary the color a little bit like gray over Silver or dark red over red so it doesn't stick out as much but if I can i like to go back with the original color so that chips and overspray won't be so obvious. Drives me crazy.

my main concern is, if I Roll paint it, if I ever want to paint regularly I will have to sand it down like crazy to get the oil based paint off for the regular paint to stick again. That kinda bothers me.

But on the other hand I know the Roll on paint will look awesome cause I am pretty good with painting and sanding smooth. I will just do it one panel at a time.

How long have you had yours painted? How is it lasting, durability?

Oh, and I understand going out of the box. Purist are hard to convince different.
jwrape
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on June 28th 2011, 10:49 am

I haven't painted the Falcon yet. I just got done repairing the rear inner fenders, trunk pan, and rear frame rails. Now I'll start the body work. The plan is to paint it in sections. The first section being the trunk lid, rear quarters and rear pan. The next will be the door jams and doors, and then the front fenders and hood. Being that our summers here in NY are so short I want to still drive while I'm working on it plus I'm fixing all of the little things that need attention, window fuzzys, door locks, window rollers etc. When I got the car 4 years ago I rebuilt the engine, tranny, replaced some of the harnesses, shocks etc so mechanicaly the car is great, now it's paint and all of the nickel/dime stuff.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jwrape on June 28th 2011, 10:54 am

I've seen one online from a Corvair that had been done 3+ years ago and he had 2 chips in it that were repairable.
I think it's a great idea for us who don't for-see paying the $5000 on a paint job. Especially since I have 2 cars that I want to paint.
jwrape
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on June 28th 2011, 11:02 am

Yea, the nickel/dime stuff adds up very quickly on my restoration projects, keep at it,A few of my friend's had fiero's in high school,they were fun little car,s , got to drive them,handling was very good on the gt's,would not mind having one if I found a good deal on one here in nc!!
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on June 28th 2011, 11:10 am

I agree. If you take your time with the prep work and be patient with the paint/wet sanding there is no reason that you can't have a very nice looking paint job. Look at some of the cars guys on this forum are turning out.
I first saw this method from Hot Rod magizine when they painted the 62 Falcon. Got poking around and came accross this group. I have been painting cars for over 20 years as a hobby. I still have all of my guns, and equiptment. Some of the reasons that I wanted to try a roll job was cost of materials, not having to deal with the over spray mess from spraying, our garage is attched to the house and wifey will flip if she smells paint fumes in the house. I figured how bad could it come out. If it really suckes then I'll strip it and spray it but I have to at least give it a shot. Plus I can't wait to see the looks when I tell them I used a 2 dollor roller and a can of Rusto...lol
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jwrape on June 28th 2011, 11:16 am

63Falconconvert wrote:I agree. If you take your time with the prep work and be patient with the paint/wet sanding there is no reason that you can't have a very nice looking paint job. Look at some of the cars guys on this forum are turning out.
I first saw this method from Hot Rod magizine when they painted the 62 Falcon. Got poking around and came accross this group. I have been painting cars for over 20 years as a hobby. I still have all of my guns, and equiptment. Some of the reasons that I wanted to try a roll job was cost of materials, not having to deal with the over spray mess from spraying, our garage is attched to the house and wifey will flip if she smells paint fumes in the house. I figured how bad could it come out. If it really suckes then I'll strip it and spray it but I have to at least give it a shot. Plus I can't wait to see the looks when I tell them I used a 2 dollor roller and a can of Rusto...lol

Yea, i told my wife I was gonna paint the car and she rolled her eyes. I love proving people wrong when they say I can't do something.
The last time was my family saying I can't build a house on my own. Did that. :-) Not to say it wasn't a challenge but people shouldn't under estimate a person that can work with their hands. LOL!

i think doing it one panel at a time makes it where you can really focus on one spot and get it right before moving on to the next.
jwrape
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on June 28th 2011, 11:28 am

most married women have that eye rolling thing down. I think they learn that while walking down the aisle...lol
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content