2001 VW Jetta

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2001 VW Jetta

Post by nailinmyeye on June 18th 2011, 8:40 pm

Hi everyone. After getting some help from Retired Plummer in the Getting to Know You Forum, I began my project. My 2001 VW Jetta.

This is a car I bought 2 years ago as a commuter car, and have put 60k+ on it since then. 140k+ on it at the moment. Various issues with the car (fuel pump, various sensors, cat, fuel sending unit...). And, in the past 2 years the paint has gone to pot. This is a car I didn't want to put any money into until I could buy something newer. I just paid $800 for various repairs, and vowed no more! Then I hit a tire on the highway, which busted my headlight, left my bumper hanging on, and tore the under engine guard clean off. Can't afford another car. Another $300 in parts. So, I decided if I'm driving this one for a while, I might as well like how it looks.

Here's the before pictures of the paint damage:

After reading through the forums, I decided on the Ace Rust Stop paint as I could choose a color. I followed the directions here and elsewhere.

Here's the car with a rough sanding, just before I primed the whole thing":

Then, I mixed the paint 12 oz. paint, 4 oz. Penetrol, 2 oz. Mineral Spirits - a mix i picked up from this forum. I also added a hint of Japan Drier. I think it went on well.

Here's the first round:

I'm a little streaky and a lot peely. But the second coat went on very nice:

So - the color I chose was supposed to be a dark grey. It has turned out to me more greyish-purple. Purple might be a great color, but I don't want to drive in it. I went back to Ace today and got pretty much the darkest grey that they had with the expectation that it will dry a little lighter - as my current paint has.

I think that rolling on a darker color won't be too detrimental to my paint job. Same paint, darker color. Not going from dark to light.

I'm surprised at the coverage I have after the second coat.

One question I have - sanding between coats - what is the benefit of sanding after every second coat vs. sanding it all at the end?

I'll update after coat 3 (tonight?), especially as I find out how switching colors is going to go for me.

Thanks,
Casey

nailinmyeye
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 5
Job/hobbies : Pastor
Project : 01 VW Jetta
Registration date : 2011-06-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2001 VW Jetta

Post by 63Falconconvert on June 18th 2011, 9:30 pm

Welcome.... second coat looks much better.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1268
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on June 18th 2011, 9:41 pm

Casey, Welcome and nice project. At 140K miles that car is just getting warmed up...many more miles to go. From the pics above, looks like your first coat was very thick...that's a alot of coverage for coat#1. Second coat looks much better. Are you painting outside in direct sunlight? If so, that may contribute to the amount of peel your getting...paint not having enough time to flow out before the sun bakes it. I'd recommend putting the paint on as thin as possible to combat any peel...and sanding it out later.

What I've noticed is that the cooler the temp the flatter the paint will dry. It's been in the 90's here lately and my last coat (# eight) had more peel than any previous coats. So, I've decided to westand the day/night before and start painting early (5:30am) in the morning when the temp is in the 70's and the paint will have a few hours to flow out before the heat takes over. Coat #9 turned out much flatter than #8. Using Japan drier is yet another variable too. Keep the pics comming.
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nailinmyeye on June 19th 2011, 9:49 pm

Real quick question:

Is the purpose of the wetsand between coats to rough up the paint for the next coat? Or is it to knock down all the orange peel and roller marks and start smooth?

Either way, I got some sanding to do!

Casey
nailinmyeye
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on June 19th 2011, 10:43 pm

nailinmyeye wrote:Is the purpose of the wetsand between coats to rough up the paint for the next coat? Or is it to knock down all the orange peel and roller marks and start smooth?
Yes.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on June 20th 2011, 12:15 am

Yes to both questions but mostly to knock down the OP. The further you go without sanding the worse the OP will get and make more work in the end. A couple of people here have waited untill the end and commented along the lines of "I really screwed up by waiting". And that is the cleaned up version Laughing .
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nailinmyeye on June 21st 2011, 1:10 am

Still enthusiastic - looking to do my wetsanding after 4th coat (i'll post some pics).

But - wondering:

1) when I do the wetsanding, should there be no leftover "pattern" or "shadow" from the op - like a completely clear surface?

2) Can I wet sand with an orbit sander? Fingers are killing me already?

Thanks,
Casey
nailinmyeye
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on June 21st 2011, 9:01 am

nailinmyeye wrote:Still enthusiastic - looking to do my wetsanding after 4th coat (i'll post some pics).

But - wondering:

1) when I do the wetsanding, should there be no leftover "pattern" or "shadow" from the op - like a completely clear surface?

2) Can I wet sand with an orbit sander? Fingers are killing me already?

Thanks,
Casey

1. yes

2. no
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra, 1984 Dodge Ram, 1995 Chrysler Concorde
Registration date : 2010-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nailinmyeye on June 29th 2011, 5:10 pm

So, I'm behind on updating here.

last time I had finished 2 coats and realized my color sucked. I'm through 6 coats now. I'll post the pics, and then maybe some questions I could use everyone's collective wisdom with.

Problem wiht pictures for me is that I really only have my iPhone, and my work area is small and a little dark, and I can really only work on this in the middle of the night. I'll do my best here:

3rd coat, new darker color:

5th Coat:

6th Coat:

Observations:

1) As per previous comments, I think my paint was too think at first. I think I've adjusted to a better consistency.

2) I had to buy new rollers, and bought at Lowes instead of Home Depot. The Lowes rollers flaked and got pieces of foam all over my paint. I think it will come out in sanding, but I'll stick with the HD rollers.

3) This is a lot of work!

Questions:

1) In the 3rd coat pictures you can see roller lines on the hood. I thought these would come out better with sanding and painting, but on the horizontal surfaces I still have them. What can/should I do here? Will they come out with sanding and polishing?

2) orange peel is getting better with later coats, and with thinner formula. I've been using Penetrol. Do you think that has helped me or hurt me in the outcome of my painting? 12 oz paint, 4 oz. Penetrol, 2 oz. mineral spirits.

3) Would there be bad implications if I just went 12 oz paint, and 6 oz mineral spirits? Or, should I stay consistent in my mix throughout.

4) A polisher - will almost any polisher do? Like the one I'd buy at AutoZone for $20? Or, do I need a $120 Porter Cable. I know which one I want...and I know which one I can afford. I guess I'm asking which one I need.

I think that's it for now. Sanding tonight (hopefully), then coats 7 and 8 tomorrow.

Casey

Edit to say - almost all of those pictures are when the paint is still wet, by the way.
nailinmyeye
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content