1990 Miata

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1990 Miata

Post by DaveB on June 21st 2011, 6:14 pm

Picked up this little paint failure last weekend. Couldn't resist for 1000 bucks even tho I already had one in my garage. This one runs, drives, and has just over 100K miles. I figure I got it around 1/2 price or better. I called his ad 7 minutes after he posted and by the time I got there he had 18 calls, most of them enlightening him of his price. Props to the guy for standing by his price and his word to give me first shot. I owned it 1 hour after he posted.

I'm going back with white. It's a standard color for these in this year. I've driven it about a week. 32MPG avg and really no flaws that's not common in these and no A/C.. which you really don't need in a convertible or you shouldn't buy one.

You'll also see my truck in the background. I started it last year and since then it's been bumped into no less than 3 times, one was a pretty good fender hit. Uninsured of course. I lost motivation and tried to sell it but just getting ridiculous offers so I may end up going back to white with it as well. For now the Miata... 80percent of the paint just scrapes off with a metal putty spreader. Also common to this year and color.

I have 2 coats on the drivers fender to see how it looked. Its lighter and brighter than stock but I decided to go with it rather than try to get fancy mixing paint.

I must say.. teeny tiny body panels will be a nice change!
DaveB
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 29
Job/hobbies : Contractor/Chevys/Poker
Project : 1995 rcsb Silverado
Registration date : 2010-11-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1990 Miata

Post by cac1967 on June 21st 2011, 6:28 pm

Nice looking miata,from your pics the body is in excellent shape,no issues with damage from what I can see, good luck!! like the black on the truck !!
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on June 21st 2011, 8:46 pm

DaveB wrote:I called his ad 7 minutes after he posted and by the time I got there he had 18 calls, most of them enlightening him of his price. Props to the guy for standing by his price and his word to give me first shot. I owned it 1 hour after he posted.
Hah, yeah. My seller's phone was ringing off the hook while I saw, drove, and handed over the $1300 advertised price for mine, as it looked in my avatar.

That is a screamin' deal. Did it come with those rims?
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on June 21st 2011, 8:51 pm

I guess that is an electrostaticly applied pain't/primer issue, just like every other manufacturer had back in the late '80s - early '90s.

I'd want to strip the rest of the car, too. I can't say that I always would, but I'd want to...
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on June 21st 2011, 10:09 pm

I immediately thought of what Stacey David (GEARZ) did with the Miata project...the Banshee!

http://staceydavid.com/projects/banshee
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on June 22nd 2011, 1:02 am

I remember the banshee project! I used to be a sunday car show junkie!
I know about them paint problems.. the silverado's white paint was doing the same thing, and so is the Miata in the garage.
I'm going to try and get off as much as possible. I wish it would all "putty knife" off but it decides to grab every here and there and it would be nice to leave as much of that primer/sealer as possible I think. I'm sure I can sand some bite into it and make it work.
It does have the miata rust under the top drains, right in front of the rear wheels. I've been watching the guys making and welding body panels very closely the past several weeks...
Oh yea.. it had the rims. Not sure I like them, they are a little heavy for a miata but I like the style for steelies.
DaveB
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on June 22nd 2011, 6:08 am

DaveB wrote:Oh yea.. it had the rims. Not sure I like them, they are a little heavy for a miata but I like the style for steelies.
Craigslist.

They look more befitting of a Camaro or something, but they might work better on the Mazda with a V8 swap...
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on June 24th 2011, 11:58 am

Any ideas on what I could do to add a a little dark to the rustoleum bright white? The Miata factory color is a darker white.

Could I add the tiniest bit of another color to get it toned down or will it immediately change to grey, or orange, or whatever, depending on what I mixed. Obviously I'm going to toy around a bit on a panel but I wondered if there's a few that might have tried before.

I definitely want a no question white... just not the bright.

My first thought was to add a few drops of black.. even yellow? I dunno. Look forward to thoughts...
DaveB
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on June 24th 2011, 1:02 pm

DaveB wrote:Any ideas on what I could do to add a a little dark to the rustoleum bright white? The Miata factory color is a darker white.

Here's a pic of Brightside's "Hatteras Off White." Pic lifted from the famous Mopar $50 paint job site. Color looks darker than "gloss white" There's a canvas white in the Rusto "stops rust" line too.

rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on June 24th 2011, 1:05 pm

If it was me, I'd use blue or green, I don't think it takes much more than a few drops in a quart, to achieve a decent tint. You don't want it to end up a pastel version of what you used to tint.
I've read that Ford's Wimbledon White has a little red and green in it.

I guess if I was gonna tint mine, I'd add the few drops of tint to the thinner, and then mix that with the paint. It's gotta be difficult to properly measure out such a small quantity of paint. I don't know, just throwing some things out there.

I'd at least use a measuring cup, and I'd tint everything at once.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on June 24th 2011, 1:07 pm

Here's canvas white

rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on June 24th 2011, 2:06 pm

I was going to try the brightside.. that off white looks like it might have been good! Alas I have a gallon of Rusto white because I was going to re-white my truck in the fall too. I know it's going to take the littlest bit of other paint to tint.. if you have any noticeable color shift I'd think you're already too far.

I have some yellow, and regal red here. In a few I'm going to go out and play around. I just want to take the surgical white edge off of it.
DaveB
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on June 24th 2011, 9:06 pm

Fender is Gloss white, hood is primer with a tiny bit of yellow, front bumper cover is primer with about double the yellow.

I kind of like the hood, tho I know all bets are off when I go to gloss. I guess my next step is to get it wet sanded and mix up some finish paint.
DaveB
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on June 25th 2011, 6:12 pm

Don't put it in the primer, put it in the paint and DEFINATELY mix it all at once. Been there, done that and have the shirt to prove it. LOL
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on June 26th 2011, 2:15 pm

I think I found a color I like. I tinted rusto bright white with a smidge of rusto yellow. Got me about a gallon, should be more than enough.
This is the first coat over a 600 wetsand on the primer. I am stopping at the body line. On a miata it is textured below there, plus I have two small rust outs in front of the rear tires. I think it'll be fine blending in the body line after body repair, since its textured already. I just hope I can re-create it over my body work. Miata forums have a few suggestions of spray on texture products from 3M. It's always something..

DaveB
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on June 26th 2011, 8:20 pm

Looks great so far, sweet looking ride.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on June 29th 2011, 5:13 pm

Got a little work done. It's in various stages and I swore I'd never do that again.. but when you're working an area you hate to leave it uncovered.. So, most of the front end has 4-5 coats, and the doors have 2. The back isn't even started except for paint peel off.

The last pic is a stripe I'm pondering. Has anyone had trouble blending a stripe? I wonder w/o clear coating it how you would get it smooth. I know with clear it gets buried, but with single stage will there be a bump?

97 tomorrow. Free bake job!
DaveB
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content