New Member, POTENTIALLY VERY IMPORTANT INFO

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Member, POTENTIALLY VERY IMPORTANT INFO

Post by Gore on July 2nd 2011, 1:28 pm

Just wanted to say hello, I have been checking in on this forum for quite some time simply because I like that you guys are getting results that you aren't "supposed" to get from a rolled on paint job. Lately I undertook a project of restoring and customizing some tool boxes and I have come across some info that may be helpful...I don't know if it's been posted yet. FRAT WARNING..so I'll break it up into different topics

1. I called the Rust-Oleum helpline because I was curious about their MATTE CLEAR. I painted my toolboxes flat black from their Universal line of sprays but soon found that not only is it nearly impossible to paint a large flat area flat black without getting some faint tiger striping/blotchiness, but flat black gets these rub marks that look shiny and don't come off. In short, not durable for a tool box, unless maybe it was a flat clear or flat powder coat. Well MATTE CLEAR is a PAINTER'S TOUCH line and the PAINTER'S TOUCH line in a can is a LATEX but I didn't know what was in the spray can. Neither did anyone at Home Depot, including the Glidden rep. So I called and found out that ANY CLEAR COAT THAT RUST-OLEUM MAKES HAS A LACQUER BASE. I thought you couldn't use lacquer over enamel and they said you CAN USE LACQUER OVER ENAMEL. I asked because the matte clear kept going on cloudy and I was worried that I was getting a weird reaction between the two paints (the flat enamel base and the matte clear).

2. I kept saying that I wanted to know if it was an enamel or not, because their glossy clear coat is available in their Stops Rust line but there was no Matte Clear. I was then told that Rust-Oleum USES THE TERM ENAMEL IN A GENERIC MANNER, EVEN THEIR ENAMEL GLOSS CLEAR HAS A LACQUER BASE...which should tell you that if you've seen someone spray the Stops Rust gloss clear over their Stops Rust Enamel rolled on paint job, which is not lacquer based, that you have seen someone use a lacquer based paint over enamel.

3. As you've seen there are a trillion versions of Rust-Oleum paints and sometimes you need a spray and a roll on that are the same color. For anyone who has seen semi-gloss black and wondered if its much different that satin black the answer is YES, SEMI-GLOSS BLACK IS DIFFERENT THAN SATIN BLACK, IT IS NOTICEABLY MORE SHINY. I painted a piece of metal with a 50/50 of semi-gloss and satin and you can clearly see the difference.

4. Last but not least...IF YOU LIVE IN CA AND WANT TO BUY PENETROL IT IS BEING TAKEN OFF THE SHELVES. I found some at a Meeks but none of the major stores are selling it anymore.

Whew...I'm done...hope I helped someone...back to the garage and my pvc paint booth to make things pretty Smile
Gore
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Member, POTENTIALLY VERY IMPORTANT INFO

Post by retired plumber on July 2nd 2011, 2:55 pm

Interesting about them saying you can put laquer over enamel. I have been paint cars for over 45 years and regular laquer put on over fresh regular enamel and it will mess it up. Maybe its something they put in their paint. huh I still wouldn't do it my self but YMMV.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on July 2nd 2011, 9:47 pm

Yes I agree,I WOULD NEVER PUT LAQUER OVER ENAMEL, I've been painting about 21 year's and I learned that in my teen's' never laquer over enamel .
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gore on July 3rd 2011, 1:18 pm

I always thought that was the case too, the way the clear clouded up so badly is what prompted me to ask. I even said on the phone that "I know you aren't supposed to use lacquer over enamel," and got the,"actually you can," answer. If their gloss clear enamel that we've probably all seen someone use over their stops rust enamel is lacquer based then I guess we have an answer. The only thing I can think is that lacquer is either a relatively small part of the product, or there are additives that make adhesion possible.
Gore
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top