1993 Lincoln Town Car... Long live the Panther

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1993 Lincoln Town Car... Long live the Panther

Post by FamilyForce6 on July 9th 2011, 11:53 pm

Well, here we go. Been looking at the forum for a while and my beloved 93' town car's clear coat is coming off something terrible. Can't make it look much worse.

I was going to try to match the original with ACE's brand of paint, but it says right on the can "for metal surfaces only" and my bumpers need to done (that is going to be a LOT of work). I chose the Rusto Glossy Almond and mixed 3:2 with odorless mineral spirits.

My plan was to do the roof to get a feel for the technique, so I wet sanded with 220 (except for a couple areas where there was still some clear coat left and had to take it down), then laid down my 1st coat today.

Here's the before pictures..

You can see the front bumper is in bad shape

overall body is in good shape... Yeah. I don't think I'd have the patience to learn how to do a bunch of body work.

What do you think of the "sporty" trunk mount luggage rack? It likely will not go back on.

Also considering leaving the molding off. I'm missing this short little piece on each side (the driver's side will entail some body work.. oh dear)

Actually would've considered only painting from the mid-line up as that is where all the clear is coming off (a nice two-tone) but the bumpers look nasty.

Roof is wet sanded..

First coat is down. Notice the spot where moth decided to land.. nice!

Not sure I'm going to like this color, I think it's a little too light. Thinking may switch to leather brown. My son (who just turned 16) wants red, but I don't want to have to mess with door jambs and all the other little areas..

After the first coat it looks like there will be a ton of orange peel already. I guess I should go to the 1:1 ratio instead. Does it lay down some more after time?

Thanks to everyone who contributed and hopefully someone, somewhere, someday will get something out of this. Peace afro

Last edited by FamilyForce6 on July 10th 2011, 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Apparently Picasa photo albums don't work.. ugghhh)
FamilyForce6
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1993 Lincoln Town Car... Long live the Panther

Post by 63Falconconvert on July 10th 2011, 6:54 am

Welcome....Looks good so far. This process is all trial and error so it may tak you a few coats to get the right mix. Heat & humidity play a huge part in figuring the mix. Good luck and keep the pics coming.

Bob
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1268
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on July 10th 2011, 1:28 pm

Most people on here eventually end up with a 1:1 mix. More paint then thinner covers quicker but leaves a lot more orange peel which means lots more sanding (and thats a big car). I also wouldn't worry about painting your bumper. Several here have done it without problems. I have sprayed 3 my self with regular auto paint and had no problems. You just need to make sure everything is clean and well sanded.
If you use a regular color you can also get it in rattle cans for door jambs and hard to reach areas. Good luck.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on July 10th 2011, 2:57 pm

Welcome to the forum,great progress from the pic's,go with the 1:1 mix,It will save you a lot of sanding!!IMO,I like the color,good luck and keep the pic's coming!!!!
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Too thick.

Post by FamilyForce6 on July 10th 2011, 3:15 pm

cac1967 wrote:Welcome to the forum,great progress from the pic's,go with the 1:1 mix,It will save you a lot of sanding!!IMO,I like the color,good luck and keep the pic's coming!!!!

We had some rain yesterday when I was putting this on and it took FOREVER to dry (was still tacky this morning after 12 hours.

I purchased the no odor mineral spirits in the plastic container that looks milky and I'm wondering if that was part of my problem? I'm going to return it right now and get regular mineral spirits and some japan drier and give that try. (1:1 plus capful of Japan Drier as recommended by ericmanual (90 CRX)
First to home depot and then wet sand the thick orange peel. Hopefully I'll get the second coat on today and update with pics.

Thanks for the encouragement!
FamilyForce6
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on July 10th 2011, 9:42 pm

Yes, the clear mineral spirits will probrably let the paint level better,the japan drier will help the paint harden like a rock,I would wet sand between every two coat's ,starting with 400 and work your way to 1500 or 2000 grit,this very labor intensive but well worth the effort,then after 1500 or 2000 grit buff and polish!!! good luck with your project!!!
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FamilyForce6 on July 10th 2011, 11:42 pm

Quick update. The paint was too thick and I ended up sanding just about all of the initial coat off. Just finished rolling the 2nd and 3rd coat, but I'm getting quite a few bubbles in the paint that are then turning into wicked orange peel. Am I doing something wrong?
FamilyForce6
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on July 11th 2011, 12:24 pm

is it orange peel or fish eyes?
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1268
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on July 11th 2011, 3:31 pm

63Falconconvert wrote:is it orange peel or fish eyes?
Was wondering the same thing.
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra, 1984 Dodge Ram, 1995 Chrysler Concorde
Registration date : 2010-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FamilyForce6 on July 11th 2011, 5:42 pm

Noah Zarq wrote:
63Falconconvert wrote:is it orange peel or fish eyes?
Was wondering the same thing.

I guess it looks more like fish eyes. Is there a difference? I'm going to wet sand tonight (with 600) so we'll see how that goes- then hopefully get another coat or 2 on.

In doing a bit more reading it appears that I should be going back over the bubbles with a dry roller so I'll do that when I roll tonight.
FamilyForce6
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on July 11th 2011, 6:38 pm

I noticed what looks like fish eyes in your first photo. Before you start painting you need to wash the car throughly with a non-wax and silcone cleaner like dawn dish soap or tide. I would then recommend a good wipe down with wax and grease remover or MS after you sand or scuff the surface and before paint. Surface must must clean as possible before paint. Orange peel is a result of too much paint....fish eyes is the paint reacting with contaminants on your existing paint.
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FamilyForce6 on July 11th 2011, 7:35 pm

rmdhokie wrote:I noticed what looks like fish eyes in your first photo. Before you start painting you need to wash the car throughly with a non-wax and silcone cleaner like dawn dish soap or tide. I would then recommend a good wipe down with wax and grease remover or MS after you sand or scuff the surface and before paint. Surface must must clean as possible before paint. Orange peel is a result of too much paint....fish eyes is the paint reacting with contaminants on your existing paint.

I washed the roof with simple green then wiped with denatured alcohol- must not have hit it as well as I should have.

Does this mean I need to take the paint back down and remove the fish eyes? Ugghh I hope not!
FamilyForce6
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on July 11th 2011, 8:40 pm

Got any close-up pics of coat 2 & 3?
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on July 11th 2011, 10:49 pm

I have fixed fisheyes (SOMETIMES) by taking a tooth pick and putting just a touch of paint in it and letting it dry real good before proceeding. Like I say, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Good luck.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by FamilyForce6 on July 12th 2011, 1:53 am

rmdhokie wrote:Got any close-up pics of coat 2 & 3?

Here's what it looked like before coat 2 was applied:

Here's the bubbles galore after applying coat 3:

Here's what it looked like dry:

After a little wet sanding with 400

hair pull

So I'm guessing that's fish eyes. Those bubbles when I put on the 3rd coat were crazy and that's what they ended up as.
I've just about got it all sanded back down to the original surface (BTW, what is the best way to completely remove a couple layers of paint. What grit? Wetsand? It took me forever to knock those two coats back down again, and I'm still not done. Mostly used 220 wet sanding.

I'm starting to know that roof in a way that no man should know their car's roof!

Last edited by FamilyForce6 on July 12th 2011, 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammer)
FamilyForce6
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on July 12th 2011, 6:42 pm

I see a few fish eyes but mostly orange peel. I think you're applying way too thick of a coat still. Knock that coat back down...220 should get that done rather quickly. When your ready for the next coat, saturate the roller in the tray then roll most of the paint back into the tray...like almost a dry roller. Roll the paint as thin and consistent as possible. You should see plenty of bubbles but they'll pop fast because it's a thin coat. The first few coats are a leap of faith, do not worry about coverage; that comes with numerous thin coats.
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on July 12th 2011, 8:13 pm

Yah, still way too much paint for coat. rmdhkie is right.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top