painting my 68 firebird

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: painting my 68 firebird

Post by 68poncho on August 25th 2011, 4:06 pm

Well I attempted to put pics of the situation on here but now Photobucket aint workin like it did with the original pics I put on here!But the thing is with the polish thing is the first 2ft. section I did had some swirlin and wasnt great but had a shine and just looked like it needed more work,as I proceeded to put more polish on and jump to the next section thats when all hell broke loose and it started maybe drying too quick or something?I'll try to put up pics again in a lil bit.Thanx again for the replys guys.I know its operator error with this buffing deal I just gotta figure out how I screwed up so I can fix it.
68poncho
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2011-07-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 68poncho on August 25th 2011, 4:11 pm

68poncho
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 68poncho on August 25th 2011, 4:12 pm

68poncho
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 68poncho on August 25th 2011, 4:14 pm

68poncho
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 68poncho on August 25th 2011, 4:15 pm

68poncho
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 68poncho on August 25th 2011, 4:17 pm

Maybe the cheap pad got too hot and the polish dried too quick or kinda cooked on there.I got to almost setting #4 on the polisher cuz it kept feelin like it was gonna take off on me.Im for sure gonna hunt down some good pads maybe Meguaire pads or Lake Co. if I can find em somewhere.
68poncho
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 68poncho on August 25th 2011, 6:33 pm

So any idears on what I did wrong?Any info or sudgestions would be much appreciated.
68poncho
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on August 25th 2011, 7:45 pm

I think you answered your own question. Get some good buffing pads. I can only vouch for meguiars because that's all I've used but lake country is supposed to be quality as well. I'd recommend getting at least 3 different pads: cutting (heavy), polishing (med), and finishing (light). Use products designed for each phase. Then find the right combo that gives you the desired results...based on the amount of paint correction you need. For example: I found that the best combo in my situation was a heavy cutting pad with med abrasive polish followed by finishing pad and least abrasive polish to get rid of any remaining swirls. You may have to do multiple passes with each combo to get the result you want. I'm not familar with your buffer pictured above but it looks like a rotary (non-oribital) buffer. If that's the case, the good news is you'll get more cutting and paint correction power with the least amount of effort. The down side is that you can burn through your paint very quickly, requiring more rolling of paint. For that reason, I went the safer (read: newbie) albeit more expensive route and got a random oribital buffer. Do small sections and don't let polish dry on the surface of paint....immediately wipe off after each pass. Also some polishes aren't meant to be used in direct sunlight. I went with the poorboys line of polishes but others have had great results with Meguiars ultimate compound and utimate polish. Just my two cents...my only experience with a power buffer has been on my current project. Other forum members are sure to chime in.
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 86 stang on August 25th 2011, 7:46 pm

i would wash that with dawn then try putting your rubbing compound on a micro fiber rag(not to much) and rubbing it on by hand first/ then hit it with the buffer / some people use the buffer at a angle not flat and work the compound to one side /i guess so they can see when it has done the job on that small spot and then move over/what mike said about the spray bottle can help/you will just have to find what works for you.hope this helps popcorn
86 stang
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 215
Project : 86 mustang gt-vert 5-speed stick
Registration date : 2011-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 68poncho on August 25th 2011, 8:57 pm

Thanx again guys.Was thinkn bout givn it one more round of wetsandin on my days off with maybe 2500 grit since the one sorta good spot that I polished showed some orange peel STILL.Then I'll break out some new pads.And this is why I decided to start on the trunk lid!LOL! hair pull
68poncho
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on August 25th 2011, 9:53 pm

I agree, look's as if your compound dried to fast, watersand your spot with 2500-3500 and buff again, keep the compound moist, the better pad's will be the best option, mine are the waffle pad's from tcpglobal,have great experience with these pad's , have some meguire's pads too, great pad's also,the lake co . are great pad's too,I have some friend's in the body shop biz that use those pad's!!
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on August 26th 2011, 12:56 am

poncho I've only been polishing and working with paint for about 12 years or so, the very reason your having all this trouble is the same reason I tried to tell you to use a cheap orbital buffer and put up the link I did to help you! All that extra time with a orbital is alot better then trying to fiqure out why or what am I doing wrong, and still not getting no where. Been there and done that!!!!!!!

The reason your compound is drying is your spinning your rotory to fast, heat plus polish= dried paste.

Now, it takes time to learn how to use a rotory, often times years. I've seen so called detailers and even body shops hologram a paint job to death with a rotory and tell the customers a lame story about how it's just the way light is reflecting or some other stupid remark or hoping that they just don't see it. the truth is that holograms are burn marks from the wool pad or foam that had to much pressure and speed applied to it or tilting the rotory up on the edge, LOL. And not following up with polishing or finishing pads and cleaner polishes.

You can do alot of damage to your paint which I think your seeing. You've already worked hard and have done a great job on painting your ride don't mess it up now, sell that junky thing(rotory) and go get a porter cable 7424 XP DA(ebay/detailing site)or a cheap orbital buffer(wal-mart) and I will help you fix it.

stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 247
Job/hobbies : snap-on tools/always testing out different techniques
Project : Hopefully a 77-81 trans-am
Registration date : 2010-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 68poncho on August 26th 2011, 6:42 am

Cant thank u guys enough for the replys and I was just thinkn maybe I better go get that cheapy buffer I originally had n give it a shot!
68poncho
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on August 26th 2011, 1:28 pm

Sorry poncho I've tried twice to explained some things but I quess it just took to long it won't let me post them?

So here are two threads I did some years ago to show you and help you understand what some practice with a rotory can really do with the right technique and understanding of cleaners/ polishes sanding and ect.
http://www.showcardetailing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1250

Also another thread using a 10'' orbital to remove scratches from clear coat. With more indeepth and showing more of what to do.
http://www.showcardetailing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1225

Hope this helps you and others because this is what I've been doing for years is trying to prove that like this forum using a roller a oil based paint with the right technique you can have a fantastic paint job for cheap and save your money for maintaince and/or goodies for your car or truck.

Later Daniel

Last edited by stang_krazy on September 13th 2011, 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 68poncho on August 26th 2011, 6:24 pm

Right on guys even my wife is impressed with all the help Ive gotten from you guys.On to the cheapie buffer this Tue.Will have more pics soon!Thanx!
68poncho
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wantajav on August 29th 2011, 6:21 pm

Hey Poncho:

Just to inform you: THE GUYS AT THE MERCEDES DEALER BODY SHOP NEVER, EVER HAVE ANY PROBLEMS OF ANY KIND, AND THE PAINT JOBS TURN OUT LIKE GLASS THE FIRST TIME, EVERY TIME. NO FIXING, THE LAST TIME WAS 1982 AND THEY TOOK THE GUY OUT BACK AND SHOT HIM.

Heh. Lots of fixing and re-dos , even from pros.

Mike
wantajav
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-09-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 68poncho on September 2nd 2011, 6:29 pm

So I broke out the 10"orbital yesterday and went to town on the back end of the bird.The only problem is that it looks dull.I know I am doing something wrong as usual so I was hoping someone could set me straight here.I cleaned the car good then used the white wool pad that it came with(it also came with a cloth pad)drew a circle round the pad with the Ultimate C. and as I was polishing it was shiney,but as soon as I stopped and wiped it down it went dull?I dont know it maybe Im not polishing long enough or not wiping hard enough?I sprayed a lil water on the area before I started in on it also.Funny thing is there is one spot about 6 inches long on the side that actually looks beautiful the only thing is I dont know what I did different in that little area!LOL!Anyways If anybodys got a sec to give me a heads up on what Im doin wrong would Really appreciate it.This is the part of this project Ive been waiting for and of coarse I messed up somehow.But Im gettin use to the whole trial n error routine!So now no biggie Ill just keep my eyes peeled for any comments.As always thanx for all the help!!!
68poncho
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wantajav on September 2nd 2011, 7:52 pm

just suggesting....try one corner of that trunk lid by hand, polishing compound with a soft terry cloth, to convince yourself the shine is there, then slowly work your way up to gentle orbital polishing.

Looks like you want it done and maybe trying to rush it. Other thing is maybe the paint needs a week longer in the sun

Good luck , it looks like it will soon turn out great
wantajav
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-09-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 68poncho on September 2nd 2011, 10:51 pm

Well Im relieved that after another go its starting to show some shine.The thing I didnt realize is after I am done hittin it with the polisher I gotta use some elbow grease to wipe the stuff off but after I do there is a definite improvement!Got about half the car done,so lucky me I gotta four day weekend comin up figure Ill finish the front half and then give it another full go around.Im using a Synwool bonnet for starters then after I completely finish with that a second time I might go for the foam pad and maybe some SwirlX.Finally maybe hit it with that Ice polish Ive seen at the store.Feeling alot better about this whole polishing deal now,Whew! cheers
68poncho
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stang_krazy on September 3rd 2011, 12:05 am

Hey poncho

Here's maybe one of the best paint polishers out there, who I've learned from and continue to learn.

Watch these videos and you will be polishing like a pro within no time at all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q70g83mnTn4&feature=relmfu
Here's a 3 part video of removing scratch and swirls from your paint.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUHRnHsSXZU&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxwlWijdIxM&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9objUFdpsG4&feature=relmfu

Here's 5 video's that will help you with proper techniques of sanding and the use of rotory.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q70g83mnTn4&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38L3UQxXuQA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwEyZw-qLPk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJPIwCgJwPw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfVhG-j3CGQ&feature=related

Hope these video's helps clarify alot about buffing and sanding with the proper techniques, also use the same technique with the orbital buffer.
stang_krazy
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 68poncho on September 3rd 2011, 12:59 am

Always great ideas on this forum!Ill try and put up pics of what I got done tomarrow!Thanx!
68poncho
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 86 stang on September 7th 2011, 11:38 pm

any updated pics popcorn
86 stang
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 215
Project : 86 mustang gt-vert 5-speed stick
Registration date : 2011-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 68poncho on September 11th 2011, 11:38 pm

Well its been awhile but work has been kickin my butt!(which is a good thing!)So I went and got a 6inch polisher(cheapie)cuz it wuz tough gettin in the lil crevays with the 10".Funny thing happened too.I polished most of the car but it wuz just not very glossey and I kept havin to wipe off the dull residue really hard.Finally as I started in on my hood I was at my wits end and then figured what the hell took the wool pad off and tried the foam one and friggin wala it is comin out really good!Finally catchin a break with this project!So tomarrow is my Fri. and I plan on finishing the first coat of Ultimate C. after work.Was wondering if I should do one more coat and then move on to a pure polish or maybe swirl or scratch x?Anywho I will definitly be posting pics tomarrow!
68poncho
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on September 12th 2011, 12:22 am

Do the whole car with the wool and the appropriate compound, and then switch to the foam pad and its compound.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 68poncho on September 12th 2011, 6:36 am

I already hit the whole car with the wool so I guess its a good thing I switched to the foam.Did right without even meanin to. Just kinda stumblin on thru this adventure! drive
68poncho
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next