Old lurker

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Old lurker

Post by Wannabebodyman on July 24th 2011, 4:08 pm

I been lurking for a while and posted a couple times. I have sprayed a lot of alkyd enamel on different things but never rolled a car. It's too labor intensive for me and I am luck enough to have a place to spray paint. The projects posted came out nice. I understand and can appreciate this method with the price of automotive paint Supplies to base clear a small car with economy line are easily over $300.00. Then there is the investment in equipment.
Wannabebodyman
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-04-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Old lurker

Post by 63Falconconvert on July 24th 2011, 8:26 pm

Welcome back.......The price of paint has gotten out of control. When I started painting back in 1987, Dupont had there Cronar urehane line out and a gallon of the base and a gallon of there clear was only about $150. That was awesome paint, the clear sanded like butter and blended great. I still have all of my guns, suit, mask etc but I don't want to spray in my garage. I did my first "roll" this weekend. It was only primer, but not having the over spray and the clean up from spraying was awesome. This method isn't for everyone, but if your looking for a very good driver quallity paint job thats cheap this is a good way to go.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1268
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on July 24th 2011, 8:52 pm

Yes I agree with 63falcon convert,I have sprayed many car's over the year's, and this rollon job intrigued me . You don't have to cover everything up in the garage , you don't have to mask the entire car, and yes paint price's have gone crazy, I've used ppg, omni, dupont ,nason , martin senoir ,and have had good result's with all. I will be spraying rusto and on my falcon ,and will have about $75.00 buck's in the whole paint job, so this method give's you more bang for the buck and we all here are about saving the money for other thing's on our car's rock
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on July 24th 2011, 10:42 pm

Yah, paints gone nuts. The first gallon of paint I ever bought was in 1965 and was expensive. Metallic green enamal with reducer was almost $30.00. White could be had for $20.00. I don't remember what laquer was because it had to be color sanded and buffed LOL. That was too much work so we never used it. The "good old days"
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wannabebodyman on July 25th 2011, 9:12 am

I like to sand buff. I think it takes my paint job from a back yard paint job to a professional looking paint job. I am not much of a painter, but I am a good buffer. I just paid $135 for a quart of Spies Hecker base for my wifes car. But it matched perfect, that is what I needed so I can't complain. These rolled jobs come out nice. I can see it as a good affordable alternative. Roll it, buff it and enjoy it.
Wannabebodyman
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-04-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top