another first timer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

another first timer

Post by jvandyke on August 8th 2011, 12:01 pm

Decided to try the roll on method on my '81 Fiat X1/9, currently spending much quality time on rust spots (fairly minimal, thank goodness) and minor ding repair and such, hope to start painting this week. I wasn't going to hit it wih filler/primer spray but after browsing around here I think I will at least go over the questionable areas with it. Never painted anything before but I'm tenacious bastard with no money so this method just might be the ticket.
Should I spray bomb prime everything or just the areas I worked on and rely on a decent scuff job of the current paint?
I'm planning on gloss black over the current gold metallic. I understand gloss black is pretty unforgiving as far as revealing all the "bad spots". But it's the color of choice at the moment. Yellow is still on the table, aluminum, red.....probably black though.
She's a great car but as a daily driver, worth maybe $1600 as it sets, it's not getting a 4K paint job!
Here's hoping all goes well!
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2011-08-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: another first timer

Post by cac1967 on August 8th 2011, 4:18 pm

Welcome to the forum, black is a hard color to do in any form of paint!!!As for the primer I would use rusto automotive primer in the aerosol. I used it under spot repair's and had good luck with it. I would prime any repair's that you have done and any bare metal spot's for better coverage.feel to ask us any question's. great people on this forum, we love pic's of your progress also!!! rock
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on August 8th 2011, 9:51 pm

Welcome......
No $4000 paint jobs here but if you do it right your roll on paint job WILL look as good as any high dollar job....good luck and post some pics of your ride.
Bob
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1268
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

81 Fiat X1/9 2010

Post by jvandyke on August 9th 2011, 7:26 am

Thanks for encouragement. Here's the car before I started body work, just after grinding down the rust, not bad for a vintage Fiat. Oops, I can't post links for a week I guess. Have to wait! Here it is last year before any work began.
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2011-08-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top