81 Fiat X1/9

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 81 Fiat X1/9

Post by 86 stang on August 27th 2011, 8:22 pm

what grit is that sanded with looks like you need to go down a stage to get the last of that op out then go back over it with finer stuff ///looks to be going well all most there/ popcorn thumbs up
86 stang
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 215
Project : 86 mustang gt-vert 5-speed stick
Registration date : 2011-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 86 stang on August 27th 2011, 8:23 pm

jvandyke wrote:Sanded. I forget what coat this is, 6 I think....

86 stang
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jvandyke on August 28th 2011, 12:41 am

Coat 7 applied. Going to try to polish it out next. Am I right that I just start like on ever other coat. 600 until all even haze, then go to, what, 1000, then 2000 than some sort of compound and a buffer?
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2011-08-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jvandyke on August 28th 2011, 1:30 am

Just eyeballed my 7th coat. It is the best yet. Spectacular! If it weren't for the dust flecks and bugs I'd leave it. Seriously it looks much better than a lot of cars I've seen as is with NO final polish. I know, shut up, sand it down and polish it but it so tempting to just stop and call it good, I'm picky too. I'm sure in the morning, when I roll it into the daylight I'll realize there's no way I can leave but at least I'm liking what I have. Do I need to wait a week before I polish it out?
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 86 stang on August 28th 2011, 3:14 am

if your going to stop at coat 7 wait at least two weeks before you finish with a final cutt and polish thats if its hot outside 4 weeks if its cold/8 weeks before you can wax/////your last coat should be sanded up to 2000 or higher/ thumbs up
86 stang
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jvandyke on August 28th 2011, 7:42 am

Okay, ouch, didn't remember the wait time on last coat. I guess I could put the car together now and polish it out "later".
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on August 28th 2011, 6:40 pm

I would go with 1500 to start my final sand unless there is bad orange peel and then 2000 to finish. 1500 WILL polish out but 2000 will make the buffing easier and quicker.
You can sand whenever the paint is dry. I would wait a week to polish tho but wait the two months before wax. That's my cents

Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jvandyke on August 29th 2011, 9:00 pm

Okay, got some 1000, knocked down the peel, went over it with 2000 then McQuire's swirl remover. Looks good, found a scratch and weird defect but at least I know what I'm supposed to do. I will sand but not polish for a few days yet and possibly recoat this panel has that scratch will forever bug me.
[img][/img]
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on August 29th 2011, 10:10 pm

FYI not just for you but some general knowledge for the forum.
Paint has to "degas" for a while. By that I mean the liquids in the paint have to evaporate out. Until that happens you won't get that "perfect finish". Sanding and buffing with rubbing compounds are fine but some polishes will seal the paint like wax will and stop the degassing process. A couple of signs of this is a hazy appearance or in really bad places, small blisters.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 86 stang on August 29th 2011, 10:18 pm

sweet applaude
86 stang
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jvandyke on August 30th 2011, 6:45 pm

Frustration. Tried to get all panels down to total flat but am burning through the paint all over the place. I'm running out of time. Thinking of draggin it to Maaco after all. 7 coats wasn't enough I guess. Hood is good main panels are good but some places just weren't sanded well enough between coats I guess as I'm just going all the way down through trying to level it out. Kinda surprised as I thought peel was very minimal throughout. I guess you're supposed to get all the peel out between every coat (or every two) and not just "almost all"? ugh
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 86 stang on August 31st 2011, 1:47 am

i have been told that you can always fix this paint but i have never had to try yet i would think that you could go on with your sanding and then put on one more coat or so and work with that// but im not sure//wait for some of the others to chime in //
86 stang
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jvandyke on August 31st 2011, 8:50 am

Plan is to try and sand the whole car flat. If it works I polish and fix the burn throughs down the road. If it's too nasty will recoat and try again. Sanded for about 4 hours yesterday and still have lots to do. I think I should have been sanding more thoroughly all along. I thought I was doing pretty well but I guess you really should get it all flatted completely every couple coats. OKay, deep breath, keep hammer'n.
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on August 31st 2011, 8:57 am

what type of pad are you using when you wet sand. You should be using a soft 3M foam pad, wrap the paper around the pad and keep it wet at all times. If you're burning through it sounds like you're 'leaning" way to hard into the paint. Wet sanding requires very little presure, let the paper do the work. If you're worried about burning through on an edge then mask the edge with tape.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jvandyke on August 31st 2011, 9:07 am

I've got a block but mostly I use my hand and not a ton of pressure, burn through is on edges, even just one pass will rip down to original paint. I ran out of 600 which is my preferred grit so was using worn 600, really worn 400. Which makes it harder I know. Windshield surround was the worse, I was sanding all the way back to base while I still had peel. That I will recoat, probably several times, very small area. I have one of these too

but haven't used it much, just wrap it around eh? I'll try that block with fresh paper and a fresh attitude. Thanks for responding. Worst case scenario: recoat several times and try again. What's another 60 hours at this point?
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jvandyke on September 3rd 2011, 7:39 am

Got whole car flattened and put on coat 8, then very lightly sanded that mostly to correct issues. Coat 9 looks nice, started sanding it out and am a bit concerned about how much work and still OP-ly Using 1000 and 1500.
I decided to stop and try again later.

jvandyke
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jvandyke on September 3rd 2011, 12:24 pm

well this is a major fail. I have to sand so much knock the peel down it's unreal. I can only assume I wasn't sanding far enough down between coats and now I have to sand down 7 or so coats which means I'm undoing 2 weeks of work, not too happy, might have to bail and get it sprayed, if Maaco can do it for $400 it's pretty silly spend 3 weeks of 2 or 3 hours a day doing this.
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by muthstryker on September 3rd 2011, 12:40 pm

Do you have a DA sander? IF so go get some 400 grit pads for it. High speed and VERY low pressure will take down the peel quick with out taking the paint off. Most people will probably argue with me.. But I painted my GTO trunk lid a few years back and there was so much orange peel because I didnt know what I was fully doing. I went over that trunk lid with a DA and 400, and there was no peel what so ever.

Your paint is still fixable just need to go at it with a different approach.

IF you do this, do not press down on the DA as you will burn through the paint barely touch the paint. Also, do this dry not wet. THEN go back over with the higher grits wet sanding.
muthstryker
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-08-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jvandyke on September 3rd 2011, 1:59 pm

I did dry 400 (by hand) and took the peel down but even then there is still mottled texture look to it. At this point I concede this a total fail, I'm taking off two weeks of paint trying to get down to smooth. I guess I'll just keep sanding until it's smooth even if i end up back where I started? Then start painting again, this time taking all the peel off every other coat.
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by muthstryker on September 3rd 2011, 3:15 pm

This is how I started doing it after I had the same problem as you..

Sanded car down with 220-320-then 400 all wet sanded.

Then I did 2 coats Sand with 600

2 more coats then sand with 800. (Im actually going to take my time with the last few grits..)

I would continue with the next coats but im leaving for the weekend.

I was sanding this morning and there is virtually no peel what so ever. I can see the center cap logo on my daily drivers wheels from 6 feet away..
muthstryker
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-08-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jvandyke on September 3rd 2011, 5:08 pm

Well, my problem is i didn't sand enough between coats.......I guess, "virtually no peel" isn't good enough, take it down to totally flat peel-less before painting any more or you're wasting your time. IMHO.......I guess
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jvandyke on September 3rd 2011, 5:26 pm

okay, I think I know what's going on, I'm seeing individual layers as I sand the shape of the "peel" changes as I slowly tear down through layers, anyone ever experience that before? each layer is distinct from the others, that's not cool at all.
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on September 4th 2011, 7:13 am

jvandyke wrote:okay, I think I know what's going on, I'm seeing individual layers as I sand the shape of the "peel" changes as I slowly tear down through layers, anyone ever experience that before? each layer is distinct from the others, that's not cool at all.

Yes. I am seeing this on the test trunk lid I'm rolling. It's not as noticable being I'm painting it white. My OP has been very heavy, temp & humidity are too high to be painting. The next few days are suppose to be cooler so we will see that happens.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jvandyke on September 4th 2011, 8:35 am

I've painted through various temps and humidity levels on this project. I wouldn't think it would matter much, it's not like you're trying to spray it or something! Oh well, maybe next year. It does look okay rolled but not sanded/polished (actually it looks amazing). So I'm leaving it like that, I need the car. I have two jobs, 5 kids and no more time for this.
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jvandyke on September 11th 2011, 9:52 am

I will return to this later, next spring probably. As is I needed the car back on the road so I gave it all one more coat and left it. Actually looks okay, will be better later.
[img] [/img]
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down