how much sanding is enough between coats?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

how much sanding is enough between coats?

Post by jvandyke on August 23rd 2011, 11:21 pm

I just sanded coat two and I can hardly tell I did, I used some worn 600 and there is no haze and it's still very shiny. I'm a bit apprehensive to lay coat three on this as I'm afraid it won't adhere, I really wanted to lay coat three tonight yet but I don't dare until I know. I'm astonished how good it looks after two coats!!! I swear there's whole panels I can walk away from RIGHT NOW and be proud! So, I guess I've answered my own question, better get out there and sand it to a haze as I don't want to take a step backward. I'm out of fresh 600 and only have fresh 2000 which isn't scuffing a thing but sure polishes it nice! Too early for that.
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2011-08-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: how much sanding is enough between coats?

Post by cac1967 on August 24th 2011, 10:04 pm

Sand with 400,apply two coat's, sand with 800 and work your way up to 1500 or two thousand. You need too sand it till it has a uniform satin look, the sanding is a lot of work , but this is the key to a great roll on paint job,It's hard work , hope I have helped you and good luck!!!
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on August 24th 2011, 11:12 pm

Warn sandpaper is just that, worn out. In reality is now may be more like 1200 or 1500 grit with he sharpness (cutting ability) gone. Paper is cheap start with new. I cut my paper in 1/4, which fits my sanding block, and I find for me, it lasts just about a panel (door, fender, etc). Use a bit of dish soap in the sanding water also. This helps a bunch. When the sandpaper doesn't feel "sharp" any more change it even if it still feels "rough". You can tell the difference. "Rough"will still cut but will require a lot more work then "sharp" will. Hope that made sense.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jvandyke on August 25th 2011, 7:45 am

Sure does, thanks. I got more 600 which seems good for between coats. 3M because the cheap stuff isn't recommended and the one batch of cheap paper I got is really terrible. I did knock down the gloss and recoat.
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2011-08-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rick howe on December 5th 2011, 1:06 pm

santa i didn't use 600 at all started with 320; on coat 3 i went to 400 and coat 4 went to 800 and so on; and come spring i'm going to go over it again with a sand out the orange peel that is still in the paint . Over all this is a great way to paint and when you get tired of the color you can change it yourself.
rick howe
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 48
Job/hobbies : the beach( retired)
Project : 72 spitfire
Registration date : 2011-07-19

View user profile http://rikiwho123@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top