1992 Miata

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1992 Miata

Post by syntrix on August 30th 2011, 8:55 pm

Found this forum after actually doing the work on the car. It's a project car, bought it for cheap.

Can't really see much here, but the hood had paint fade that was sprayed over, and poor body work on the left side fender and rear 1/4.

She was shot with sail blue rustoleum by the previous owner, and I got a lucky can of it when I bought the car.... ugh, this color is way too light, and the bodywork sucks.

Ground down a lot of the bad work.

Not even close:

I got most of it knocked out with #320 and painted, turned out really shiny and nice.

Wet paint, hasn't leveled, and you can see some of the body work underneath:

And my camera was way overexposed, probably a stop darker here:

I just wet sanded with #400 and letting it dry nicely overnight. She's slowly coming together.

syntrix
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 6
Job/hobbies : Engineer
Registration date : 2011-08-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1992 Miata

Post by syntrix on August 30th 2011, 9:06 pm

Hated to knock it down, but it had to be done.

Here's block sanding with #400 and a little hand sanding... going to go back over it tomorrow and get the next 2 coats on tomorrow night, yay.

Ultimately, it's a lot of work, but not that bad. I just don't want to shoot in my garage and get overspray everywhere, so I'm good with this technique! My friends think I'm crazy. I'm into it about $27 so far for paint and had the sand paper on hand. I'm using about 1 sheet or less per grit so far. That might bump it up a few dollars, lol!

syntrix
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 86 stang on August 31st 2011, 1:37 am

welcome like the darker blue //nice start//we love pics here keep us updated popcorn
86 stang
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 215
Project : 86 mustang gt-vert 5-speed stick
Registration date : 2011-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by syntrix on August 31st 2011, 7:53 pm

knocked out a little imperfection on the front left 1/4 with some glazing putty this afternoon.

The paint is the gloss naval blue or whatever it's called. I got a spray can of it, but it's much darker. I used that to hit the imperfection after sanding, as the light spots seem to not go away very well on a first coat, and grey primer is about the same.

Here's the first thin coat after #400 grit work. I'm about 2:1 here, maybe a tad less, and it goes on very thin. This is about 20 mins after rolling.

I'll put another coat on top of this tomorrow, the first coat over the sanding usually takes a lot of paint. The second coat usually takes a lot less!

syntrix
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wantajav on September 2nd 2011, 7:54 pm

looks like a spray job, great work
wantajav
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-09-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by syntrix on September 2nd 2011, 9:05 pm

Thanks Smile

Just a tip for you rollers out there. I just moved to 600 grit and the paper gets dirtier much faster. I've got at least 24 hours on this second coat. Probably less cure time on the 400 grit.

Working through the 600 now, and IMHO, this might be as far as I take it. It's hot out here so the paint self-levels very nicely.

I thinned at about a 2:1 via eyeballing.

I'm thinking that the next coat might benefit from a little more mineral spirits. also a good tip is to over roll.....

The hood for example, I went left to right working the paint on 1/2 the hood. After many rolls.... then went front to back with barely any pressure to even out the paint.

Same idea on the back side pics. rear 1/4 was front to back at first, then up/down to help move the paint around.
syntrix
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by syntrix on September 3rd 2011, 6:01 pm

Got a rear panel today, but it was red these are notorious for breaking. Even removing my rear emblems, I broke my stock one!

Hit it with some primer:

Part of the way shooting it with the same paint. Figured I'd spend some time on this since it's a tiny air gun, but better than rolling:

Rear section is almost blue, yay!

Also the stock one broke into many pieces while trying to salvage the emblems, lol. These things are fragile.
syntrix
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 86 stang on September 4th 2011, 9:33 pm

The paint is the gloss naval blue or whatever it's called///how are you mixing can we get a pic of the paint can
86 stang
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on September 5th 2011, 6:54 am

Nice job! I see the car is both a hard top and convertible, very cool. That color looks great on that body style.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1268
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by syntrix on September 5th 2011, 8:50 am

86 stang wrote:The paint is the gloss naval blue or whatever it's called///how are you mixing can we get a pic of the paint can

It's just a can from home depot. Gloss royal blue actually.

I got a little stingy on the paint on the last roll. There's some texture to it so it really didn't self level where it's really thin. Nothing a little 1500 or my porter cable can't knock out.

Mixing, just get an empty can. I literally eyeballed it. Now, how long to wait before I launch the random orbital on it?
syntrix
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 86 stang on September 9th 2011, 11:29 pm

most people say two weeks/// i waited 6 just to be sure it depends on how hot it is popcorn
86 stang
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down