sanding every other coat?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

sanding every other coat?

Post by jvandyke on September 2nd 2011, 12:05 am

So, what I did was sand with 600 between every coat up through coat 7 but I don't think I knocked the peel down as much as I should have. I tried to sand coat 7 all the way down and did but there were too many thin spots by then so i just laid out coat 8. I am thinking of doing one more coat. Do you guys really just roll two coats before sanding, like not touching coat 1 at all, just going over it once it dries with another coat and then sanding? This coat laid out pretty well again but there is peel. I'd like to just lay coat 9 then work it all back down sanded to flat and polish up and be done but I could sand 8 way down like 7 then lay 9. What is a good plan? I hate to make the OP of coat 8 worse with coat 9 but I also don't really want to sand the heck out of 8 if I don't have to. Let's face it, after nearly 3 weeks of this I need to be done, of course, after 3 weeks it might as well turn out really well too so whatever it takes.
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2011-08-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: sanding every other coat?

Post by retired plumber on September 2nd 2011, 12:29 am

You should be going to less aggressive grits as you progress in your coats. 600 takes off more than needed in the later coats unless there is real bad orange peel.
Two coats at a time and then sand is the going method here.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by muthstryker on September 2nd 2011, 4:03 pm

This is what you should of done, I think I might be moving alot faster then you as I pretty much started out fresh wednesday night and im already getting ready to start on my 5th coat. After my little orange peel disaster I finally got the hang of this and its coming out great so far.

2 Coats and then sand.

coats 1 and 2 sand with 400

coats 3 and 4 sand with 600

coats 5 and 6 sand with 800

coats 7 and 8 sand with either 1000 or 1500

Im stopping with 1500, as I need to be completely done and buffed out by monday night.
muthstryker
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-08-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jvandyke on September 2nd 2011, 4:26 pm

Yeah, I guess I did it wrong. I laid out coat 9 today and will sand that with 1000 until peel is gone, then 1500 then I guess I should let it sit for a few days at least before trying to buff it, eh? I'm not sure I quite get why you'd use progressively finer paper between coats as each new coat basically puts you right back where you were, only with one more layer under it, you still have to knock it down to the same level whether two hours with 1000 or 1.5 hours with 600, don't you get it down to the same point? Oh, well, I sure hope I'm done as I really have to move this forward. 9 coats should be enough unless I just sanded most of my coats right back off trying to keep the peel down, which I did I guess. Okay, onward. This time when I sand I'm going to not even touch edges if I don't have to.
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by muthstryker on September 2nd 2011, 9:15 pm

You put the paint on thin enough that the orange peel from the previous layers will start to build up and go all the way though to the last coat. So sanding in between every other coat helps keep the orange peel on the final coat down to a very minimum which the 1000 or 1500 should have no problem removing.
muthstryker
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jvandyke on September 2nd 2011, 11:32 pm

hmmmm
Well, I started sanding coat 9 tonight, maybe too soon though it felt totally dry (7 hours) Peel seems to go away alright but I have the odd mottled look that doesn't seem to want to sand out, patchy not the shiney low spots of peel but well, I'll try to snap a picture of it.
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jvandyke on September 3rd 2011, 7:34 am

Maybe it is just normal OP, it worries me that I can't sand it out like I did before. I had the whole car nice and flat before this coat and would have polished it out if not worried it was too thin in places. I'm putting this in the wrong thread I jsut realized, oops.
jvandyke
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by muthstryker on September 3rd 2011, 12:27 pm

It does look like the paint might have been put on a little thicker this time around? Just keep sanding and see what happens.. Are you using a block to sand? Try hand sanding if so, there was a few low spots on my car that did that same thing. I just hand sanded those areas and it was fine.
muthstryker
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top