1964 Pontiac Catalina Safari

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1964 Pontiac Catalina Safari

Post by MrMister on September 20th 2011, 5:55 pm

I have a 1964 Catalina Safari Wagon and I will eventually be painting it. I am hoping to have the prep done by next summer so that I can paint it when my wife doesn't need to drive it.
I read a topic earlier and I can't seem to find it again. Someone was using ?Penetrol Rusoleum Hardner and Thinner? Does that ring a bell? He used red paint and placed a Sunkist can on top of it.

I want to know what body work I can do myself and what I am getting myself into. I live in Southern California so weather isn't really a problem.
Can I have Rustoleum mixed to my original color or will it only be very close? Is there a way to tell if there is bondo under the paint? I will be posting more detailed pics with specific questions but my right fender has a pretty big dent and I was wondering if I could fix it myself. Thanks.

The paint doesn't actually look as good as that picture.
MrMister
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-09-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1964 Pontiac Catalina Safari

Post by cac1967 on September 20th 2011, 8:59 pm

Love your wagon, The body look's to be in awesome shape,I've not seen where you can have rusto mixed,I do know that ace hardware will mix any color in their stop's rust brand oil based enamel, penetrol can be purchased at lowes and home depot here on the east coast it is made to reduce brush and roller mark's in oil based paint's,If you have tractor supply store's on the west coast, they sell valspar oil based enamel hardner, a pint here on the east coast is about $8.00, you can also thin oil based enamel
such as rusto with automotive thinner's and also you can use auto enamel hardner in oil based enamel's, thumbs up hope this help's!!!
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on September 20th 2011, 9:03 pm

Welcome!!!! Great ride you got there. It needs a surf board...... Cool
Here is what you are looking for:
http://rolledon.forummotion.com/t367-rustoleum-advice

Good luck and I hope he can help you get through your project.

Bob
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1268
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMister on September 20th 2011, 10:57 pm

The body isn't as great as it looks. I have a couple of issues that need to be taken care of.
63Falcon Thanks that is exactly the thread I was looking for. Do you know if it can be used with Ace Hardwares rust stop and is Rust Stop just as good as Rustoleum?

Here are some trouble spots.
How would you fix this?

I also have some trim trouble and some scrapes:

Any advice on fixing those spots?
MrMister
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 86 stang on September 20th 2011, 11:06 pm

all the work you want to get done you can do your self your dents look ez there are lots of post that show you step by step ///nice ride welcome
86 stang
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 215
Project : 86 mustang gt-vert 5-speed stick
Registration date : 2011-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMister on September 20th 2011, 11:20 pm

Thanks. I will be searching this forum like crazy.
MrMister
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on September 21st 2011, 8:00 pm

Those dents don't look too bad. If you can get behind them you could use a hammer & dolly, if not I would just reshape with a good heavy duty fiber glass like Duraglass or Tigerhair. Use that to get the shape close then a light weight filler to really dial it in. It will take a few attempts to get it perfect so take your time. We will walk you through it.......
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMister on September 21st 2011, 10:27 pm

Thanks guys. What is a dolly?

I started the project today. I removed the panel on the tail gate because my wife tried to close it and the vinyl ripped off revealing.

Ahhhhh!!!! I suspected there was some rust there since the metal was a little expanded and what not, but wowzers. Ok, shock over, I removed the panel and found that the rust was mostly limited to the steel that the vinyl was glued to and the bottom had completely rotted out.
The tailgate itself is pitted and has some rust but it doesn't look like I will need to patch any metal there. Only sanding will tell. I had to get dinner so it was dark by the time I got back. I will get some pictures tomorrow and start sanding to find out if I am right. I will also be getting some 8 gauge (?) sheet metal to replace the panel and practice spraying. I haven't gotten a gun yet but I will be getting at least one from Harbor Freight. I know you have that little purple one Falcon but will that work on a larger scale?

Also, maybe that isn't vinyl anyone familiar with that material and where I can get it. Doesn't have to be the same color. Looks like fiber and plastic or something.
MrMister
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMister on September 23rd 2011, 6:03 pm

Was this thread moved to Projects? Thanks. I guess it no longer is a new member thread.

Ok I removed the panel and here is what was under that. I took a picture of the panel off to show all the rust but I must not have saved it.

This isn't the same spot as the previous picture. I started sanding before I took a picture. Here is after some sanding. There are too many pits to just use the 3M rubber block to sand. I will be using a wire brush drill attachment to clean this up. Now I have to find weather stripping to replace this one when I am finished. Going to Harbor Freight to look around. I don't think they have any guns in store but we will see.

I also took a picture of the primer that I sprayed to protect it, in case I didn't get to it soon enough. But I guess I didn't save that picture either. I don't normally use my phone for pictures so it's throwing me off. I am talking in 63Falcons project page about Spray Guns. I have a 60 gallon 6.5 hp compressor at work and the ability to spray there. He mentioned that HVLP should be 10-20 psi but the ones listed at Harbor Freight are a lot higher than that. Is that because of the lower quality or because they aren't true true HVLP? I don't mind because the price is good. I am just trying to make the best purchase for my money. After all we are painting this ourselves not just for the cheap but for the fun.
Happy Painting.
MrMister
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wantajav on September 23rd 2011, 9:37 pm

google "hammer and dolly technique"..you can find videos of how to repair dings and dents.

A dolly is a hunk of metal with a flat or curved surface you hold under the dent while you tap on the front side with a special set of hammers. Harbor Freight has a nice set of hammer/dollies for $27. different dollies are used for different types of dents or real pros heat the metal then hit it using a shrinking dolly to get it back to shape.

In the old days there was no body putty or bondo just hammer/dolly then they used a file to finish off the surface to perfectly smooth, then used primer paint to fill in scratches. ANOTHER LOST ART THESE DAYS
wantajav
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-09-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghcoe on September 23rd 2011, 9:52 pm

wantajav wrote:In the old days there was no body putty or bondo just hammer/dolly then they used a file to finish off the surface to perfectly smooth, then used primer paint to fill in scratches. ANOTHER LOST ART THESE DAYS

Leading was used before bondo was invented. Quite common in the old days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD98LDc0GAI
ghcoe
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-06-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on September 24th 2011, 7:40 am

MrMister....I think I agree with you that a Harbor gun is not a true HVLP. The part about only shooting water base through it puzzles me. A water base gun is stupid money being it's mostly stainless. For the money you can't go wrong with a HF gun. I would say go for it and see what happens. Shooting primer is a great practice tool. I may pick one up and play with it just out of curiosity.

Hammer/dolly/lead work is a lost art. Those guys are true craftsman
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ghcoe on September 24th 2011, 9:31 am

I will be using a HF detail gun. I like it because the cup can be tilted to what ever surface you are painting. Have not tried to paint a complete car with one yet but have painted a hood and it came out great!

ghcoe
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-06-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on September 27th 2011, 7:21 pm

The deal about these type guns are they want a certain pressure at the gun (50lb I think) and then the pressure is reduced internally. Its been a long time since I read how they work tho so don't quote me on that. Volume is a big deal also but your compressor will work just fine (wish I had one that big).
When you start the hammer work go slow and easy at first until you get the feel for it as there is a learning curve. The sharp crease on your fender edge will be the worst for you and I would suggest, as was stated above, just try to get close and finish with filler.
I love these old land yachts or maybe in this case a barge (?) Laughing
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMister on September 29th 2011, 1:03 am

I am definitely going to go gently. I found out that the crease in the fender is going to need a skin hammer (?). It has a lip that goes up inside the fender. I will try to take a picture as well. Some of the trim has some pretty bad dings, how do you fix that? Or do you get new ones?
Thanks for all the suggestions. This is going to be fun. Slow progress though I have run into some engine things that need to be taken care of.

Also, I want to do original exterior colors. Anyone know where I can get Dupont in a SS?
MrMister
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on September 29th 2011, 11:40 am

The trim can be fixed, but it is a lot of work. It looks like its aluminum so be gentle with it and go slow until you get the feel of it. The dents can be tapped (not hammered!) out from the back. Finish the front by sanding with progressively finer grades. The anodizing will need to be removed with oven cleaner so the entire piece can be polished.

If the trim is stainless, you don't need to deal with anodizing so its a little less work.
snafu
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top