1991 Toyota Camry in Rustoleum Topside Blue

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1991 Toyota Camry in Rustoleum Topside Blue

Post by Nisbo on September 28th 2011, 11:34 pm

This is my second rustoleum paintjob. The First one was done.... 5 years ago? on my little brohers CRX. Came out like poop if you ask me. We rolled it in Gloss black but there was no gloss to it. When we tried to sand down between coats whatever we applied came right off. It came out flat and to be honest, we could have done better with spraypaint. I didn't think I would ever do that again but with the current economy, I became jobless. Sold my cars that were draining me every month and picked up this bucket. A 1991 toyota camry. A friends grandmother had owned it since new but had been sitting in the driveway for a few years. Had 65K miles on the odometer and it deserved to look better.

The gray spots are primer. The paint had gotten so thin there were spots of rust starting to form. Drove it around for a few months this way. You should have seen the faces of valet attendants when I drove up in this sorry condition. lol!
Well, I pulled all the trim, doors, trunk, hood, and gave it a good wash with scouring pads (the kind made from steel wool and detergent mixed together). Than wiped it all down with mineral spirits, and wiped off with micro fiber towels. The body wasn't perfect so filled in some dings with glazing putty. There was a wrinkle on the fender from someone sitting on it, and that got worked out. Looks 8 out of 10. Still not very good with body work.
Now for my weapon of choice. Its a Wagner Finespray HVLP unit I picked up from craigslist a few months ago. It was used once to paint his cabinets. I paid $30 for it and it has already paid for itself by replacing for the cost of spraypaint that I used around the house.

Here is my first coat of paint on the car. I am still experimenting with the mixture and the setting on the gun.

It has alot of orange peel and it definitely leaves alot to be desired. After going through a quart of paint, I had fine tuned the mixture and spray settings.
Here is a few pointers for anyone going to do this.
Don't mix topside with mineral spirits. Use "Industrial maintenance coating thinner" from home depot. The paint calls for xylene but it's being replaced in SoCal. It resists paint runs and dries to handle in 2 hours compared to mineral spirits which took all day to dry to touch and if it hit a panel with paint after 12pm, the gloss was gone from the dew hitting the panel at dusk. I eyeballed the mixture of 50/50 paint and thinner. The gun was set on "3" for nice heavy wet coats. Keep moving to avoids runs. I used 50% overlap and it flowed out well. Make sure you give at least 3-4 hours of sunlight or else the dew hitting the panel will make the paint dull and flat.

Don't paint under a tree. I hate bugs. Tree sap doesn't help much either smash

Don't paint in the sun. Makes the thinner wick off to quick so the paint doesn't flow correctly.

Here is an example of what it looks like if done properly. This was after the second coat.

So I sprayed 1 coat. used a scuffing pad to remove dust nibs and debris from the paint. Wiped it down with mineral. Spray another coat. wait to dry. Wetsand with 800grit. Then spray the 3rd coat.
In total I have 4 coats of paint on the car. 3 would have done but that first coat was during my testing phase that I ended up sanding down anyways.

Overall, it flows well and looks very glossy. It looks perfect from 5 feet away. There is some orange peel, but no more than would have come from a factory finish. Still got to finish the doors, and refurb my trim pieces. Will post more in a few days when I get further along.

Last edited by Nisbo on September 29th 2011, 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Nisbo
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1991 Toyota Camry in Rustoleum Topside Blue

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on September 28th 2011, 11:46 pm

Looking good. Nice color too.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The1Bobco on September 28th 2011, 11:54 pm

wow thats a pretty nice blue, i was really considering topside blue for my paint job, but ive already bought all of my red and black so maybe down the line i can repaint it, but it looks good so far.
The1Bobco
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by leeready on September 30th 2011, 11:38 am

Very nice. I didn't think it would come out so good with an electric sprayer. How much did the topside cost and where did you get it?

I want a midnight blue for my suburban. I guess I could just add a little bit of topside black to the mix? I think that would work.

Something like this:

leeready
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 98
Project : 96 Suburban
Registration date : 2011-08-04

View user profile http://www.treskate.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Nisbo on September 30th 2011, 6:33 pm

leeready wrote:Very nice. I didn't think it would come out so good with an electric sprayer. How much did the topside cost and where did you get it?

I want a midnight blue for my suburban. I guess I could just add a little bit of topside black to the mix? I think that would work.

Something like this:

I did a car in midnight blue back when I was in high school. It was on my Nissan Pulsar because the red was getting chalky and looking orange. I did use an automotive paint and I was very inexperienced using the spray gun. It was my first attempt at painting anything and didn't know how to adjust the gun or air pressure setting so my whole yard looked like it was covered in a dark fog. but I finished it and my brothers were in awe.

I bought the paint at Lowes. I live near the coast so they're available locally. $12 a can. I did think about mixing the regular rustoleum, silver and blue, but when I googled it someone mentioned not to mix silver with blue due to some adverse reactions so I gave up that idea. I was going to buy the black and blue when I saw the topside. It was "almost" the blue I was aiming for so I went with it instead. Had a 2007 Tundra that was this color (with a bit of metallic). I did like that color alot and this is pretty darn close so I am happy with it.

The electric sprayer is an HVLP unit. I orginallly bought it because spray cans were costing alot. If I turn the paint volume down, I can use it like a touch up gun. Works extremely well. I do have a "real" HVLP gun but I may not go back to the real HVLP gun anymore as this is working out too well. No more moisture problems. I was surprised how well it works. The more I thin the paint, the better it atomized the paint. It isn't a real HVLP unit but I haven't cleaned it once since I started painting the car but it never clogs. Just keep topping off the paint and spraying. And say goodbye to moisture problems, especially since it's been so humid in my area for the past few weeks.
Nisbo
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nisbo on September 30th 2011, 8:06 pm

Have a few more pictures. Took my SLR out for some better pictures of the orange peel. Did get a few runs from laying on the paint too thick. If you look closely at it the paint has glassed right before the run. This is pretty much an indication of how heavy a coat you want to spray on to get the smoothest finish. Also, this paint seems to flow on vertical surfaces but not so much on horizontal surfaces. There is a really fine line between glass and run. I'm veering on the side of caution with thinner coats now.

And here it is, sanded down with 600grit/wet.

And here is the door panel and the orange peel. Again, thinner coats than before.

And this is the hood. Wetsanded with 1000grit wet and buffed with rubbing compound. I didn't bother with finer paper yet.It does look cloudy but I will hit it again with more paper and polish after I get the car put back together. I really wouldn't have bothered wetsanding if the bugs and dust would have stayed off the paint. It's amazing how much dust can collect in the hour it takes for the paint to tack.

Nisbo
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nisbo on October 1st 2011, 2:21 am

Prepped the front doors for hanging back on the car. Few swipes with the 1000 grit in preparation of buffing. Literally 5 minutes on both front doors. The reason for that is I am going for a "factory like" finish. Don't want the car too smooth as it is my beater and the 1000 grit really only leveled the peaks of some minute texture and ground away some dust nibs. You can see how little orange peel was actually on the panel from the paint. I have seen more orange peel from a factory paint finish.

Here is a comparison of the color I am referring to. It's my old truck. I know some of the pics above on the camry hood make the paint look powdery, but I think it was from being in direct sunlight and the camera tends to bleach the color out. But when in the shade It definitely reminds of the truck. And no, the truck doesn't need a wash. Laughing

Nisbo
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by interceptor on October 1st 2011, 3:30 am

Wow that turned out pretty nice!! cheers
interceptor
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-05-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on October 1st 2011, 3:58 pm

Nisbo,that's going to be one good looking beater car,perhap's the best I've seen in a while!!!! thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cashmoney on October 2nd 2011, 9:27 pm

That's a nice color. How much time and $$$ do you have into the re-paint?
cashmoney
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nisbo on October 3rd 2011, 2:50 am

cashmoney wrote:That's a nice color. How much time and $$$ do you have into the re-paint?

4 cans $12/each of the rusto marine and 4 cans $8/each of thinner. Also have some misc items like masking tape, plastic sheeting, sandpaper etc. I am pretty sure I have $150 into this project. But still beats using anything else.
I did paint a 93 camry (wife's beater from a few years back) using duplicolor paint shop. $30/each for color and $20 each for clear. I was in $200 in paint alone. The paint was still so thin I couldn't wetsand a single panel on the car. Sold the car later that year and saw it a few months ago being sold again (sold to someone we knew). The gloss was gone.

This is the gloss after the paint has dried. I don't think I want to wetsand or polish any of the panels as I am in the time crunch now.

Nisbo
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on October 3rd 2011, 6:26 am

Looks very nice. Good reflection and gloss.
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by leeready on October 3rd 2011, 11:33 am

Looks really good to me. It will look even better whenever you get time to wet sand it with some 2000 grit. Very Happy

I went to my local Lowes and they didn't have any topside. They had a lot this "Valspar" paint though. Has anyone used this? Just wondering. It was right by the rustoleum.

They had... gloss white, satin white, flat white, gloss black, satin black, flat black, gloss bumblebee, satin java brown, gloss buckeye brown and gloss cherry.

Heres the picture:
leeready
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Nisbo on October 3rd 2011, 12:55 pm

I definitely recommend using the marine paint as all the reading I've been doing makes me feel more comfortable with my choice in paint. I think the Valspar is similar to the regular rustoleum and as such doesn't contain any UV blockers.
What is the recommended thinner to use? Mineral spirits takes forever to dry so you will have a bigger window between recoats. The marine paint calls for xylene, and is try to handle in 2 hours. I have also sprayed satin black rusto, recommended thinner is acetone, and it is dry to handle in about 3-4 hours.
Nisbo
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by leeready on October 7th 2011, 2:36 pm

Thanks for all the info.

Any more final pictures? How many coats are sprayed on? I put 3 on a hood I just sprayed.
leeready
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Nisbo on October 8th 2011, 6:27 am

While I was wetsanding the car, I noticed a few lighter spots showing up. I think 4 coats to be safe. I can only see it in direct sunlight but after putting all this work in I want it to look good.
Nisbo
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by StryfeS13 on October 10th 2011, 6:51 pm

I'm really surprised how well the paint went on with that electric HVLP.

Do they still make those? They seem to be discontinued.
StryfeS13
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-12-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nisbo on October 10th 2011, 8:11 pm

Yeah, surprised me how well these things work. Here's a quick vid of the first coat going on this door.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3cl_xiB80Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Nisbo
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Loaded87IROCZ on October 10th 2011, 10:45 pm

Great videos, thanks for sharing! I think I might buy a Wagner HVLP this weekend and get to work.
Loaded87IROCZ
Rank
Rank

Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by interceptor on October 11th 2011, 10:52 pm

leeready wrote:

If I am reading the Rustoleum prices correct, is that $9 a gallon???? affraid

Here in Canada, that stuff sells for $40 a gallon!!
interceptor
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-05-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by StryfeS13 on October 12th 2011, 9:10 pm

$9 a quart Smile
StryfeS13
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-12-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dougie Murder on October 13th 2011, 1:35 pm

I just sprayed my Jetta and have a few spots that look like your doors (tight peel).

Interested to find out what yours look like after wet-sand & buff.

Car looks great by the way!
Dougie Murder
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 24
Job/hobbies : Rock n Roll
Project : 85 Fiero GT & 96 Jetta GLS
Registration date : 2010-10-10

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/romeoliquorstore

Back to top Go down

Post by Nisbo on October 13th 2011, 10:12 pm

Here's a few photos of my trunk lid after buffing. I did hit it with some 2000 grit to remove any dust nibs and such but not to the point of making it glass smooth. Still came out great.

Nisbo
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on October 13th 2011, 10:26 pm

Look's awesome!!!! thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!