New guy looking for a couple answers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New guy looking for a couple answers

Post by cashmoney on October 2nd 2011, 8:28 pm

I've been reading about these "$50 rolled on paint jobs" for a few years now and finally have the perfect car to give it a try on. Car is a '92 Geo Storm with low miles in excellent condition. All trim, lights, and weather stripping is removed. The factory paint was all sanded off a couple years ago, minor body work done, and then i rattle canned it in primer and parked it in the garage. No rust has formed or anything like that. I have a compressor and spray guns so i won't be using the actual rolling method. I've painted/dyed pretty much everything for the inside of cars, frames, wheel wells, and even rattle canned a couple of bumpers so i'm familiar with spraying techniques and things like that.

Should i remove the light primer coat from the car before starting or just scuff it and apply new primer? I used rustoleum primer originally.

Is there a write up on this site that kind of outlines the whole process?

How much paint should i purchase?

I would like to paint the roof gloss black and body a shade of blue or grey. Would like to stay with a somewhat nuetral color as more than likely the car will be for sale in the spring. At the least i need paint on it so i can leave it parked outside before our next Chicago winter without it rusting. Also, would be nice to have it ready to replace the current winter beater that's nearing the end of its life. Any and all help is appreciated. Very Happy
cashmoney
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New guy looking for a couple answers

Post by cac1967 on October 2nd 2011, 9:26 pm

If your car has set for a while I would sand with 400 and wash with mild dish soap ,to remove any residue and contaminat's that may have accumilated on the surface's,then put on 2-3 coat's primer sand with 600 then paint. Hope this help's.
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cashmoney on October 2nd 2011, 10:03 pm

Yeah i definately need to wash it as there's a build up of dust and random contaminents on it for sure. Just wasn't sure if i should wash, sand, wash, then dry before starting the paint process but that seems to be what i need to do.
cashmoney
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cashmoney on October 4th 2011, 11:25 pm

And since i made a topic, here's my last project. I used rustoleum semi gloss black on the shaved firewall, gloss black on the frame, brake booster, and wheel wells. I did the engine block/heads/intake with VHT high temp paint. The orange parts are all powdercoated by me and the rest is chrome with a bunch of chrome powdercoated nuts and bolts.

Recently used duplicolor on a stock steering wheel to bring it back to life. Used aluminum model car paint for the edge on the trim.

cashmoney
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on October 5th 2011, 9:03 am

Very nice work!! What year/model Buick. Am I seeing a hydro set up on your suspension...... rock
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1262
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content