97 honda civic

View previous topic View next topic Go down

97 honda civic

Post by LesS is more on December 31st 2007, 12:56 am

hey guys well here my 1st project of many more to come (hopefully) its my friends honda civic. maybe your confused on why im starting with my friends, heres the story. im extremely interested in doing this but i dont want my car to be the lab rat, cuz my cars paint is still in decent shape, so i offered my friend the paint job for free and he gladly took the offer since his car is in terrible shape lol

thats after we removed the fender

and now for the progress, i dont have pics of the 1st sanding or the 1st couple stages only after like 2 coats and on so sorry for that, and also sorry for the really crappy phone pics goin to see if i get my dads camera soon

heres the fender after 4 coats, ended up being really uneven and thick, i learned that here in FL the paint on the roller dries up too fast and so when i go over a certain area twice it becomes rough, so thats why i comes out rather crappy here

this is where i decide im going to do my coat inside a garage away from the scorching hot sun and away from wind and dust

i say it came out way way better and will do 2 more coats before hitting 2000 grit and polishing, overall im satisfied with this piece and will go on to the rest of the which i will post up much better pics of the progress soon when i get it started
LesS is more
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-12-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 97 honda civic

Post by badbyrdkoncepts on December 31st 2007, 10:41 am

looks pretty good, are you using the 1:1 mix? anyways keep us posted and more pixxxxx grin
badbyrdkoncepts
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 109
Project : 1986 pontiac trans am
Registration date : 2007-12-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LesS is more on December 31st 2007, 10:49 am

no, for some reason that mixture wasnt working for me it was too thick and the bubbles wouldnt pop, im not sure what i have really because after that i just poured in more mineral spirits until i got it just right, i think it was like an 8th of the can of paint more mineral spirits. seems to be working perfectly, i think temperature makes a difference in how much mineral spirits goes into the paint
LesS is more
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on December 31st 2007, 11:55 pm

Looks good. 1:1 shouldnt be too thick? Unless it's the FL heat and humidity causing it to thicken and cure too quickly. It's important to keep note of what ratio your using. It would suck to get close to the end and mix the wrong ratio and have to sand most of that coat off. The next time you reach the consistency your happy with, remember the ratios and it will take the guess work out of future mixing. Good luck, keep us posted Wink

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LesS is more on January 1st 2008, 2:59 am

so far its comin out pretty good with that mixture , i noticed a couple drips in the paint though but im not sure if its cuz i didnt really prep that good or its because of the mixture, i tried 1:1 and it seemed way too thick (the bubbles wouldnt pop) when i did this mixture the bubbles would pop right away and it goes down pretty uniform, i am currently waiting to see the end result, but this has also been a learning phase so it may not come out as great as when i continue on the rest of the car.. anyways ill keep you guys posted Very Happy
LesS is more
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on January 5th 2008, 4:43 am

Everybody's experience is going to be unique. This is the time to develop a technique with this if you plan to use it in the future. If you find a comfortable ratio that you like using, by all means use it. Experimenting is the only way to learn what works best for you...

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LesS is more on January 15th 2008, 1:12 am

well i finally finished the fender, overall im pretty satisfied with my result and i have learned alot of things that will be applied when i continue on the rest of the car, which i most likely will do with brightside rather than rustoleum, here are the pics
this is before polishing

this one 2, (after polishing i could clearly see myself on the piece)

This is after polishing

Let me know what you think guys!! Very Happy
LesS is more
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tzyoung on January 15th 2008, 1:40 am

I think it looks great, especially for a first attempt with black paint. I see some orange peel but as it has been said before a little quality time with some sandpaper will take care of that. But the peel is no worse than what I see everyday on new cars with factory paint.
You are going to love working with Brightside as opposed to Rusto. I have tried both and you really do get what you pay for there. Can't wait to see your progress on the car. Keep up the good work.

-Trent
tzyoung
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 60
Job/hobbies : engineering student/Cars and RC planes
Project : 89 Camaro, 89 Honda Accord
Registration date : 2007-12-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LesS is more on January 15th 2008, 10:35 am

thanks a lot man yea i know there a little orange peel but i was looking at a new hummer a couple of days ago and i noticed the amount of orange peel that it had, and compared to my piece my piece has way less lol, yea i hope to use brightside for the rest of the car, and it should come out better with all the things i have learned, and i also gotta admit i think i did a pretty good job since people say black is one of the harder colors to paint with, well anyhows ill keep you guys posted
LesS is more
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on January 15th 2008, 12:25 pm

Looking good man. I did my tailgate before I did my truck and it gave me the opportunity to see how the paint levels and to really see what I was getting into. You did a great job on the fender. I hope it helps you out when it comes to painting the rest of the car.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LesS is more on January 15th 2008, 2:03 pm

thanks for the great feedback guys, i think it did help me out although im going to try out the 1:1 mixture again to see how it comes out because i did like 4 parts thinner and 1 part paint, so there was drips often until we got the technique on using that mixture down, i might start to work on a celica soon as well so i will kee you guys posted
LesS is more
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on January 19th 2008, 4:23 am

Good deal, once you find a mixture that works well for you, keep note of the ratio. It will really help out in the next few coats

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top