Rolling my 1977 Chevy Caprice Classic

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rolling my 1977 Chevy Caprice Classic

Post by 77caprice on October 7th 2011, 4:42 pm

Hello everyone, ive been giving myself headaches these past few days on whether or not i want to spray my car or roll it on and came to the conclusion this would be my cheapest yet effective route. but before i do anything i would like some feedback on some questions i have.
1) Im going for the rusto gloss black, is 1 gallon of paint able to paint my behemoth of a car with good coverage.
2)Would doing body work then painting one panel at a time be ok or should i do all body work first then paint whole car at once?
3) i have no idea on figuring out ratios
4) if im mixing paint using a proper ratio i cant see where the paint line is n the cup so do i guess a little bit or does it have to be exact.
And these are all the materials i have. A crapload of wet/drysandpaper, 1gallon of oderless mineral spirits, 1 gallon of rusto gloss black, 2 quarts of rusto clea metal primer, a 12 pack of 4 in. foam rollers, 2 paint trays. if theres anything else i need please let know cause i really dont wanna screw up. affraid ill post some pics tomorrow morning im ina rush to get to work.
-------------------Beano....(my nickname just in case i dont throw somepeople off)
77caprice
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 63
Job/hobbies : semi shade tree mechanic, online gaming, rap music production, leopard gecko care
Project : 1977 Chevrolet Caprice Classic(Laying the paint on her!)
Registration date : 2011-09-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rolling my 1977 Chevy Caprice Classic

Post by wantajav on October 7th 2011, 8:23 pm

Sir:

Start by:

1.getting the body work as smooth as you want it
2.wash car well with dish detergent and let it dry
3.Sand whole car with 320 grit
4.Wash again
5.mask off nearby trim
6.get some foam brushes for tight spots
7. get some "penetrol" at home depot helps paint lay down better
8.Mix roughly 50% Black rustoleum, 40% mineral spirits , and 10% penetrol
9.pour into pan
10. REAL LIGHT COATS WITH ROLLER! DO THE WHOLE CAR IN 1 HR
11.COVERAGE WILL LOOK HORRIBLE JUSTY GET PAINT ON THERE.

12.WAIT 12-24 HRS
13.HIT IT WITH COAT #2 STILL WILL SEE BARE SPOTS.

THIS TIME OF YEAR LET IT SIT 3 DAYS

14.LIGHT SAND WITH 400 GRIT WET THEN WIPE DRY

15. PAINT WITH 50-40-10 TWO MORE TIMES

16. WET SAND WITH 600 GRIT --SHOULD BE DULL AFTER SANDING

17.WIPE DRY

18.PAINT AGAIN COATS 5-6

19.WAIT A WEEK

20.SAND WITH 1000 GRIT

21.WIPE DRY

22.SAND WITH 1500 GRIT

23.ELECTRIC POLISH WITH TURTLE WAX

24.SEE WHAT YOU HAVE
wantajav
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-09-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

hope this helps

Post by jdwize on October 8th 2011, 7:11 pm

As far as mixing your paint and seeing the ratios get yourself a measuring cup I got some at the dollar store. Plastic ones and a s harpie and mark a line at proper level it helps see the paint and whatever you are mixing. Another thing have an area with rags ,towels and trash can near by to mix paint sticks that are clean don't shake the paint
Also if you mix a lot at one time and have a clean container with a lid you can save it
The rolling pan wrap it with a plastic bag trash bag whatever that way you don't have to clean the tray. You can put your rollers in a ziploc bag and they will stay useable for a long time hope this helps and as far as your body work block sand and guide coat. Before you think about putting any paint on it. Ask me how I know
?

I haven't used rusto for a car I used the interlux brightside mixed with mineral spirits
But I did find that an assistant to help roll makes it a lot easier have one roll the paint on and the other roll dry to pop the bubbles just keep rolling it the first few coats look bad so don't freak and when you do wetsand I found that a dash of dish soap to the water helps I use a bucket and soak the paper in it some people use spray bottles the bucket has always worked for me these guys will chime in soon with more info good luck and from what I have read I think you have enough paint to paint 2 big cars this method the paint goes far not like spraying half the paint is overspray

Last edited by jdwize on October 8th 2011, 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : had a brilliant idea)
jdwize
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jdwize on October 8th 2011, 8:00 pm

Also if you have a gallon can of paint it will proably be better and less of a mess and chance of contamination getting in your paint if you use new paper or plastic cups and dip small amounts out and into your mixing cup don't dip with your mixing cup
Don't use the cup you had soda in lol use a new one

Well I should be done posting sorry for the coffee fueled sermon
Maybe the fumes from this body filler. It just kicked got sand later
jdwize
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on October 8th 2011, 10:09 pm

If you have a garage and compressor/spray gun or access to one that is a much faster way to go. IF you do that you can reduce the paint to 3 paint to 1 reducer. Spraying has a learning curve but several coats will build up enough to be able to color sand and buff. If you go this route, do all the body work first. one gallon will be enough and go get a couple couple of graduated mixing "pails" from any hardware or big box store. This mixed paint can be stored. A lot of people here also use hardener also but that can't be saved so only add to what you will use at one time. I just wanted to show the other side of the coin in case you hadn't decided yet. Body work and sanding/buffing will take the same amount of time but all the paint will go on in one day.
If you roll the above advice is good.
I painted a 3/4ton super cab truck (sprayed) and the gallon was more than enough. Good luck.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 77caprice on October 9th 2011, 1:13 am

Thanks for the step by step @wantajav as for the penetrol im hoping that home depot over here carries it, ill be stopping by there monday. Ill feel as if im infiltrating home depot seeing as i currently work at lowes Twisted Evil . @jdwize i never thought about the ziploc bag for the used roller, thanx for the tip. As for guidecoat/blocksanding, rest assured ill try my best to get the body as straight as i can. @retired plumber dang i wish i did have a garage lol, all i have is a metal carport where i am doing all my bodywork, i do have a spray gun if that helps lol. But if i had the expensesi wouldve went the spraying route,which ironically i dont have. Anyways i want to prove to the guys at work that rolling a car is possible. If u heard the guys when i first told them about my project you wouldve thought you were at a comedy club lmao . And here is some pics as promised both quarter panels,hood and header panel are worked and primed with clean metal primer. I am currently working on pass. side door it has a couple small dents and 1 medium size one(cant see them in picture but theyre there), i am using a hammer dolly set from northern tools as my first defense on dents/dings then some good ol body filler comes in as a reinforcement. And thanks everyone, i greatly appreciate yall answering my many questions.
77caprice
Rank
Rank

Job/hobbies : semi shade tree mechanic, online gaming, rap music production, leopard gecko care

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jdwize on October 9th 2011, 4:09 am

Looks good have you ever heard of removing a dent with a can of compressed air ? I saw a couple videos on you tube you need a hair dryer and can of compressed air if there are no creases it pops out the dent heat the panel for a about a min with the dryer turn the cab upside down and spray the area ice will form and it should pop I tried it and it works and won't even hurt your paint. Don't know if rusto will hold up lol work you have done so far looks good I have used the same roller for my entire jeep you can put the whole tray roller everything in a plastic bag and I heard all the jokes about the rollon paint thats why I did it 2 not to mention its cheap looks good depending how much sanding you wanna do the guy across the street walked over and said oh your painting this truck already what kinda sprayer do you have he works nights so he hasnt seen me in my driveway with a roller when he asked what sprayer I have I said I put this on with rollers he goes f you lol I said I did he didn't believe me until I showed him the tray and stuff that's the fun of it
jdwize
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tehlini on October 9th 2011, 11:45 am

that is a boat man lots of surface area. i hope you have a palm sander!
tehlini
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 31
Job/hobbies : Flex production tech
Project : 1995 Dodge Ram 1500
Registration date : 2011-02-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 77caprice on October 12th 2011, 5:29 pm

jdwize wrote:Looks good have you ever heard of removing a dent with a can of compressed air ? I saw a couple videos on you tube you need a hair dryer and can of compressed air if there are no creases it pops out the dent heat the panel for a about a min with the dryer turn the cab upside down and spray the area ice will form and it should pop......

Ive seen those videos but havent tried it, anyways the last time i used the moms hair dryer for automotive use, i somehow broke it lol.
77caprice
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 77caprice on October 12th 2011, 5:49 pm

tehlini wrote:that is a boat man lots of surface area. i hope you have a palm sander!
O yeah, I would be miserable if i didnt have my trusty palm sander, it still takes a while to cut through the old paint with it, i use up about 5 sheets of 80 grit on each panel. Im using all purpose paint stripper every other panel but im thinking about buying some heavy duty airplane stripper to quickly take this paint off and save me a bit of sandpaper.
77caprice
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on October 12th 2011, 10:23 pm

If you strip with aircraft stripper when you prime use an etching primer to cover the bare metal,then use your regular primer .
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jdwize on October 12th 2011, 11:02 pm

Yep some put the etching primer then filler I usally put filler to bare metal I have put it over a 2k primer. With out a doubt use etching primer ....and its only my opinion but I use rage filler and the 2 part glazing comp from evercoat. Seemed to sand better than bondo or dynalight also anyplace I welded I used evercoat metal 2 metal filler on both sides if I could get to them .to waterproof then filler primer then a primer sealer

But I live in Michigan the rustbelt lol and I hate to do things over again
jdwize
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on October 15th 2011, 11:22 pm

If you use stripper, make sure you WASH IT GOOD before putting any primer or paint back on it.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on October 15th 2011, 11:38 pm

its better to soda blast it if your gonna strip it when its still assembled. Its hard to get all the chemicals off a fully assembled car. You get it painted then wash it and some stripper runs our of some hidden crack and suddenly you learn new 4 letter words
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jdwize on October 16th 2011, 3:01 pm

That aircraft strip is good I agree clean it off after
But you would anyway before you put anything back on it

And that would suck if you got it in a crack and ruined an otherwise nice job later on
I used a 120 grit flap disc on a metabo to strip to metal it chewed it off like nothing
jdwize
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on October 16th 2011, 10:29 pm

Agree about the new words. However if you knew them before you will be using them with considerably more enthusiasm. Laughing
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jdwize on October 17th 2011, 9:46 am

Like that kid in Christmas story his dad was an artist in obscenities ...some artist work in paints or clay LOL
jdwize
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on October 17th 2011, 9:52 am

jdwize wrote:Like that kid in Christmas story his dad was an artist in obscenities ...some artist work in paints or clay LOL

Thats too funny....working on cars causes men to speak crazy words in an unknown tongue....
"mother %^$&(*&^$%#%%%*^(*)%$#^*("
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on October 17th 2011, 5:55 pm

Yea, I agree old car's make us talk in strange tounge's!!!!! mad3
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 77caprice on November 6th 2011, 12:51 am

Hey everyone i havent really gotten any further work done to the car, ive been trying to figure out a brake problem on my f250. But i have a quick question, im using the rustoleum professional white clean metal primer, and i was wondering if anyone here has put automotive paint or Rustoleums topside paint on top of that primer? Im just curious because all this effort into prep/bodywork, i want it to look good and last as long as possible.
77caprice
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on November 6th 2011, 4:43 pm

77caprice wrote:ive been trying to figure out a brake problem on my f250.
What's it doing? Brakes sticking and staying on a little bit? That could be the little brackets which hold the caliper hoses out of harm's way. The brackets swell with corrosion, and pinch the hoses, causing the brakes to stick.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 598
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 77caprice on November 6th 2011, 5:33 pm

Well ever since I bought the truck the rear tires would lock up when I would brake normally, I had to really go easy with the braking so it wouldn't lock up. Then it magically fixed itslef these past few weeks and now I hear metal scraping sounds coming from the front brakes and come to find out I have a stuck caliper, ruined brake pads and a ruined rotor. Not too upset but I wish I would've caught it a long time ago. O well.
77caprice
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

sorry for the wait....

Post by 77caprice on November 23rd 2011, 10:51 pm

Ok now that ive fixed my truck I finally have some down time work on the car. Since my last post ive finished the front pass. door but ima redo it cause i did a real shi**y bondo job on it. done most of the passenger side door jambs, mostly rust issues and the back door and rear quarter panel. Sprayed jambs , and rolled the doors rustoleum clean metal primer. 2 coats straight from can. might do one final pass on whole car when finsihed then block sand and paint.

I went at the rust and pitting with a wire on a electric drill and hit it with rustoleum rusty metal primer to penetrate into the small pits the where the wire wheel couldnt get to. Went back over bare panel with 100 grit to remove the scratches from the metal that the 60 grit left.

moved out her into the sun to see what it she looks like.

Ok thats it for now, got 25% of the trunk stripped, gonna go back at it this weekend after the holidays. Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.
77caprice
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on November 24th 2011, 2:38 am

Hmmm. I'm kinda surprised to see that rust on that car. Has that car spent its whole life in Carolina, or was it a yankee-mobile at one time?
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 598
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 77caprice on November 24th 2011, 3:40 am

Hmmm. I'm kinda surprised to see that rust on that car. Has that car spent its whole life in Carolina, or was it a yankee-mobile at one time?

Yeah im suprised also. Ive owned the car since November of 07' and live in North Carolina and the older man i bought it from also lives here, but idk if he may have lived upstate beforehand. As for any other previous owners i have no clue. Also the previous owner had said it was recently(idk how recent) repainted by maaco which was a meh job, runs here and there and extreme overspray on emblems and trim, and i dont know if maaco did bodywork on this car but lets say it was some halfa$$ crap also. Ill post some pics later where my front header panel and rear quarter was gunked with body filler, it was so bad you could see the pinholes/bondo/cracking through the paint.
77caprice
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top