Rolling my 1977 Chevy Caprice Classic

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rolling my 1977 Chevy Caprice Classic

Post by 77caprice on April 29th 2012, 11:30 pm

Tommy Hillbilly wrote:I really like that color!

I hear ya on the rain, I was trying to paint at about this time last year, but it rained everyday. In a few weeks, there should be some good dry stretches.

Thanks man, yeah this weird weather is frustrating and i would have gone crazy if it would have rained everyday. Evil or Very Mad
But yeah i think your right we should be getting some nice steady weather coming along.
77caprice
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 63
Job/hobbies : semi shade tree mechanic, online gaming, rap music production, leopard gecko care
Project : 1977 Chevrolet Caprice Classic(Laying the paint on her!)
Registration date : 2011-09-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 77caprice on April 29th 2012, 11:39 pm

Heres a video i have on my youtube channel of the 3rd coat if anyone wants to see a walkaround. "Caution": I talk alot. Very Happy

77caprice
Rank
Rank

Job/hobbies : semi shade tree mechanic, online gaming, rap music production, leopard gecko care

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on May 1st 2012, 9:10 pm

Lookin great, mad prop's on the video!!!!!keep up the great work!!!!!!! thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 77caprice on May 2nd 2012, 1:14 am

cac1967 wrote:Lookin great, mad prop's on the video!!!!!keep up the great work!!!!!!! thumbs up

Thanks again man, yeah i figured i should share my experience on the Tube too cause i haven't came across any paint jobs with this color on there and i figured i could fill that void. Its coming along.... slowly, but still, its coming along.
77caprice
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pierrel on May 2nd 2012, 10:23 am

That Caprice is looking good! The topside seem to be really good paint.

How dark is the Topside Navy Blue? We're looking for a darker shade of blue, and not the light, smurf-looking blue. Yours looks quite dark, even in the sun Smile

Keep up the work, we wanna see it finished! Will look stunning Smile
Pierrel
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 41
Job/hobbies : Student
Project : 1967 Mercury Cougar XR-7
Registration date : 2012-01-28

View user profile http://themercurycougar.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 77caprice on May 3rd 2012, 2:13 am

Pierrel wrote:That Caprice is looking good! The topside seem to be really good paint.

How dark is the Topside Navy Blue? We're looking for a darker shade of blue, and not the light, smurf-looking blue. Yours looks quite dark, even in the sun Smile

Keep up the work, we wanna see it finished! Will look stunning Smile

Thanks, and the topside paint is truly amazing, me, my friends and family cannot believe its turning out so good. I actually drove it to my buddys house yesterday and everyone there thought i was done painting it and its only the fourth coat(ive put another coat since my last post.)!! Its a very nice paint. But i was in the same boat as you trying to find a non-smurfy, non-cartoony blue color until i stumbled across a member here named NISBO who painted with this exact paint and i as soon as i seen it cut and buffed i was sold.

The color is dark and its far from smurfy looking. But in my previous posts it doesnt yet have full coverage so its gonna get darker with a couple more coats. Like i said if your looking for a nice dark blue for that Cougar this is the paint to go with, you will not be dissapointed.
77caprice
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pierrel on May 3rd 2012, 2:11 pm

77caprice wrote:
Thanks, and the topside paint is truly amazing, me, my friends and family cannot believe its turning out so good. I actually drove it to my buddys house yesterday and everyone there thought i was done painting it and its only the fourth coat(ive put another coat since my last post.)!! Its a very nice paint. But i was in the same boat as you trying to find a non-smurfy, non-cartoony blue color until i stumbled across a member here named NISBO who painted with this exact paint and i as soon as i seen it cut and buffed i was sold.

The color is dark and its far from smurfy looking. But in my previous posts it doesnt yet have full coverage so its gonna get darker with a couple more coats. Like i said if your looking for a nice dark blue for that Cougar this is the paint to go with, you will not be dissapointed.

I've checked out NISBO's job, and it sure looks good, just like yours! Tempting...
Luckely, eh, i have some bodywork to do before its ready for paint. Maybe you'll be done with yours by then and i get to see the final results before ordering the paint and supplies.

Now get out there and roll on some paint! Very Happy
Pierrel
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by 77caprice on May 4th 2012, 4:47 pm

Pierrel wrote:
I've checked out NISBO's job, and it sure looks good, just like yours! Tempting...
Luckely, eh, i have some bodywork to do before its ready for paint. Maybe you'll be done with yours by then and i get to see the final results before ordering the paint and supplies.

Now get out there and roll on some paint! Very Happy

Yeah i hear ya!!, id say its gonna be at the most another month and a half before its officially finished, just a heads up, 2 weeks for the next coats then a month to cure. Afterwards im gonna touch up my interior a bit. Stay tuned im gonna be on here alot the next few weeks.
77caprice
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 77caprice on May 8th 2012, 1:50 am

4th coat laid down and went ahead about four hours after the roof dried i rolled another coat so 5 coats on roof and 4 on the rest of the car. I done that a little under a week ago. Gonna wetsand tomorrow. I also made a mistake by putting tape on the top of the fenders to paint the hood without hitting the fenders, needless to say it peeled some of the paint off. But i dry sanded it with 400 smooth and and put paint only on that area over the next few days then wetsanded with 800 and put the last of the fourth coat on and it blended ok but it is still noticeable, hopefully i can build some thickness and wets sand it smooth. O and i quickly realized the door jamb color is not gonna cut the mustard so im gonna see if i can find a deeper darker blue in a rattlecan.

77caprice
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by loneagle on May 8th 2012, 10:02 am

Your car is looking fantastic....I hope mine comes out this nice!
loneagle
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2010-12-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pierrel on May 8th 2012, 12:56 pm

Its looking really good! That blue looks great! Smile
I see what you're saying about the door jambs, and applying the paint with a foam brush didn't do it?
Pierrel
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by 77caprice on May 8th 2012, 5:03 pm

Thanks everyone

Pierrel wrote:I see what you're saying about the door jambs, and applying the paint with a foam brush didn't do it?
Yeah i tried to foam brush them but it just came out like crap. I guess the key is to barely thin the paint if not at all cause mine was all runny. But spraying out of a can is the best way in my opinion, you can get to hard to reach places and two coats will give you good coverage. I just gotta find a darker blue in a can.

77caprice
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by loneagle on May 8th 2012, 5:13 pm

You might try using one of these Preval sprayers and use the Topside enamel on the jambs.
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/preval-9-oz-preval-complete-spray-gun-317340.html
loneagle
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on May 8th 2012, 8:54 pm

Lookin great !!!!It's gettin there and it look's awesome!!!!!
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 77caprice on May 9th 2012, 5:09 pm

loneagle wrote:You might try using one of these Preval sprayers and use the Topside enamel on the jambs.
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/preval-9-oz-preval-complete-spray-gun-317340.html

Thanks for the link man, thats a cool little spray gun, im going to see if my local home depot has it. Hopefully they have it in stock.
77caprice
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by loneagle on May 9th 2012, 7:42 pm

Other stores may have these sprayers too. I know Harbor freight carrys em!
loneagle
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 77caprice on May 30th 2012, 12:01 am

I havent really worked on the car much at all these past 2 weeks(wanted to wait for the paint to get a little harder so i wont have any more peeling issues) but i managed one more coat since my last post, and lets just say it didint go too well. Its getting really hot out here and i had to thin the paint dramatically to keep a nice wet edge to work with so the paint went on super thin, barely any gloss and still saw sanding marks and alot of bugs and dust i didnt like the outcome so i waited about 3 hours after it had dried to the touch and went ahead with another thicker mixed coat, still thin, but thinner than my previous coats. So im basically still calling this coat the 5th coat. So when i buy some more thinner im going to lightly wetsand this coat to basically knock out the gnats and dust. Also i drilled out my bumper shocks to tuck my bumpers closer to the body of the car. I like the way it looks now, no more gaps!! Im driving it to work all this week cause i miss driving it and its much better on gas than my f250, but im sad to say ill be on vacation all next week so no painting until i get back. pale

Heres some pics of the car as it sits now with the bumpers tucked and the bumper fillers put back in. The sun was beaming down like crazy, thats why the car looks a little lighter but it still looks the same as my my previous coats dont worry.

I also have new videos up on my youtube channel about this coat including a hands on video on drilling my bumper shocks http://www.youtube.com/user/Beanoman90
77caprice
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by loneagle on May 30th 2012, 9:42 am

It looks great! thats what's nice about this system, you can stop and start when you want. I changed my plans and started using the Rusto Topside like you. I'm very happy with how it lays out and it dries much quicker.
loneagle
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by e34touring on May 30th 2012, 2:22 pm

I am going to be using this exact same color... love the way yours is coming out. However, as someone who is also in the South... and is without a proper garage, I am thinking about waiting till Sept/Oct to start painting.
e34touring
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 11
Job/hobbies : Market Researcher
Project : Bmw 525i Touring
Registration date : 2012-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 77caprice on May 30th 2012, 2:46 pm

loneagle wrote:It looks great! thats what's nice about this system, you can stop and start when you want. I changed my plans and started using the Rusto Topside like you. I'm very happy with how it lays out and it dries much quicker.

Thats great man, are you going with the same navy blue color? Im glad you decided to go with the Topside paint.
77caprice
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by e34touring on May 30th 2012, 2:50 pm

Yup, topside navy blue. :-) I am redoing the interior right now so I might go ahead and paint the insides of the door while have the door cards off.
e34touring
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 77caprice on May 30th 2012, 2:59 pm

e34touring wrote:I am going to be using this exact same color... love the way yours is coming out. However, as someone who is also in the South... and is without a proper garage, I am thinking about waiting till Sept/Oct to start painting.

I appreciate that, im glad your also using this color. Its not too bad painting outside i just hope for the best each time i paint. I suggest spraying water on the ground to keep dust at a minimum, make sure everyone in your neighborhood is done mowing for the day and painting in the morning also helps to stay outta the heat but being in the south as soon as the suns out its HOT!! But one to two bugs and a good amount of dust nibs is going to happen, just a light wetsand takes care of that. Anyways I look forward to your project.
77caprice
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by e34touring on May 30th 2012, 3:35 pm

77caprice wrote:
e34touring wrote:I am going to be using this exact same color... love the way yours is coming out. However, as someone who is also in the South... and is without a proper garage, I am thinking about waiting till Sept/Oct to start painting.

I appreciate that, im glad your also using this color. Its not too bad painting outside i just hope for the best each time i paint. I suggest spraying water on the ground to keep dust at a minimum, make sure everyone in your neighborhood is done mowing for the day and painting in the morning also helps to stay outta the heat but being in the south as soon as the suns out its HOT!! But one to two bugs and a good amount of dust nibs is going to happen, just a light wetsand takes care of that. Anyways I look forward to your project.

Thanks for the advice. I will post the project once I get started. Also, do you have any more pictures?
e34touring
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 77caprice on May 30th 2012, 4:18 pm

Sorry i dont have any more pictures at the moment, i would take some now but i kinda had to travel through some mud last nite so its kind of a doo doo brown and blue mixed paint job lol , but ill take some pictures tomorrow after i wash the car down.
77caprice
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 77caprice on May 30th 2012, 4:28 pm

Also if theres one thing id change if i could go back, i would have used a black primer instead of grey. I feel as if, if i had used the darker primer, the paint would have covered better in the first few coats. If i use this color again for another car, im going to be using the black auto primers instead of grey.
77caprice
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top