New here and need help.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New here and need help.

Post by SoniaTheSonoma on October 13th 2011, 3:07 pm

My name's Mike and I have a 2000 GMC Sonoma. Been to this site quite a few times.

Anyways here's the story. When I bought it, the paint was really rough due to it being a work truck. Anyways, I've known about the $50 paint job for some time and figured I would start small and just paint the tailgate. If it turned out as good as it did online for everybody else, I would do the rest of the truck the same way.

I just finished doing the tailgate. The paint is Rustoleum Gloss Black (about 7 coats, thinned 50/50) and I even did a rattle can Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel clear coat, with about three coats I sanded all the way up to 2000 grit, then I used Maguires Ultimate Compound on it, and like everybody else, the results were great. Awesome shine, all of that jazz.

Here's the deal: Last night after putting the emblems back on, I threw the tailgate back on the truck. Went out today to check out how everything looked in the sun, and it was very very hazy. It wasn't like that yesterday. It isn't a problem that I didn't notice it last night because it was dark because I finished up about an hour after the sun went down. I live in Florida, but the humidity isn't bad this time of year. Any help would be awesome.
SoniaTheSonoma
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-03-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New here and need help.

Post by 63Falconconvert on October 14th 2011, 7:31 pm

How long did the paint cure before you wet sanded/rubbed?
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1268
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SoniaTheSonoma on October 15th 2011, 4:08 am

Well of course I wet sanded between every other layer of paint after 5-6 hours after application when it was dry to the touch, but on the last coat I sanded it the next day then proceeded to wet sand all the way up to 2000 before I used the rubbing compound. So I guess to answer your question, it was the next day from the last coat of clear I put on. I get where you're going with this: the paint needs to cure an x amount of time before applying compound. Obviously I've already used the compound as well as polish. My question is, did I screw anything up by doing it too soon? Should I let it cure a certain amount of time, use rubbing compound again, and it should turn out fine? Do I use a grease/wax remover too get rid of the compound and polish I just put on? I used no wax yet. To my understanding, it should be cured for 3 months before doing that. It was a Youtube video that I closely followed and just like anything that seems too good to be true on tv, well that's the case for me.

I want to also thank you for answering.
SoniaTheSonoma
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on October 15th 2011, 10:55 am

I have been waiting at least 24 hours between every 2 coats. When I painted my test trunk lid I waited 2 weeks before I hit it with a buffer. Remember I'm using a hardener with my paint mix so that alone excellerates the cure time along with making the paint harder. I think you sanded too quick between coats. Let it sit for a week then try buffing again.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1268
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SoniaTheSonoma on October 15th 2011, 2:39 pm

Will do. I'll let you know how that goes. If it happens to still not turn out all that great, would a good few coats of wax do the trick? Say I compound it so it looks like it's supposed to then slap wax on it before exposing it again to the sun. Is their a fancy UV wax I can get? Isn't all wax UV anyway? I know I'd have to wait a good three months to do that, but just curious.

Also, if none of this works and i need to sand the clear coat off, respray it and wait the correct amount of curing time, what grit paper should I use as to not burn through the paint too quick but not have to sand for hours and hours?
SoniaTheSonoma
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on October 15th 2011, 10:58 pm

You are not supposed to wax new paint for at LEAST a month. In fact 2 months is recommended. Even tho the paint feels hard it is still degassing (thinner fumes) and the wax seals the surface so that can't happen.
I would try rubbing it out again before you do anything else first. If that doesn't work then come back for further questions. Good luck.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on December 13th 2011, 11:38 am

I would skip the clearcoat.

Your paint will require a little more maintenance without it, but it will look a lot better.
snafu
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top