Question Regarding Dings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Question Regarding Dings

Post by Brent on November 24th 2011, 5:27 pm

Howdy guys! My hood, roof, and trunk lid have so many small dings that it would make more sense to replace the panels (where possible) rather than try to fix each ding (acorns and northern hailstorms...). They're literally every inch or so over the hood. The roof is in similar condition. These are extremely shallow dings, but they're noticeable under light. Given the age of the car and its general condition, they're not noticeable enough to be worth fixing, unless it'll make future paint jobs harder.

Can I paint over this or will the many shallow pits ruin the paint job? If it'll be a problem, what's the best way to fix the hood, roof, and trunk? Some sort of hardening glaze that will fill in the pits?

I appreciate any advice!
Brent
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-11-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question Regarding Dings

Post by retired plumber on November 25th 2011, 12:13 am

Replace what you can and just fill what you can see on the roof. You probably won't really see the top well anyway. You know they are there so YOU see them, most people won't. Just my opinion.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brent on November 25th 2011, 3:44 am

What should I use to fill it in? I'm not worried about the appearance of these very minor dings, I just don't want them to affect the end result of the paint job.
Brent
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on November 25th 2011, 2:57 pm

A good filler like rage gold would be a good one, need to strip the paint out of each dent for good filler adhesion , I use 80 grit to rough up the small dent's for good adhesion.
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brent on November 25th 2011, 3:13 pm

cac1967 wrote:A good filler like rage gold would be a good one, need to strip the paint out of each dent for good filler adhesion , I use 80 grit to rough up the small dent's for good adhesion.

Thanks. Should I strip by sanding or can I use chemical stripper to get it down to smooth bare metal?
Brent
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on November 25th 2011, 11:04 pm

Just sand with 80 grit to bare metal in the ding's, this make's for better adhesion with the filler.
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brent on November 26th 2011, 2:19 am

cac1967 wrote:Just sand with 80 grit to bare metal in the ding's, this make's for better adhesion with the filler.
I'm going to be doing the entire car. Should I chemical strip the whole thing, and sand only the dings? Was originally just considering sanding the entire thing down with a random orbital sander, but someone told me that I should use good paint stripper and just spray the paint right off.
Brent
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on November 26th 2011, 11:23 am

Brent wrote:
cac1967 wrote:Just sand with 80 grit to bare metal in the ding's, this make's for better adhesion with the filler.
I'm going to be doing the entire car. Should I chemical strip the whole thing, and sand only the dings? Was originally just considering sanding the entire thing down with a random orbital sander, but someone told me that I should use good paint stripper and just spray the paint right off.

There are many opinions on paint stripping. My rule is this, if the car has a very old or multiple paint jobs and is a "high dollar car" (classic, hot rod etc) then I would chemical strip. For a daily driver that only has 1 paint job on it then I would DA it with 80 grit to start, then 150 then 220. For dent filling or metal patching then I would DA that area to bare metal.
Like I say this is what "I" do, and we all know that there are many ways to get the same results.
One thing to note, chemical strip is messy, dangerous, (burns like h%^$ if you get it on your skin and you HAVE to make sure your metal is super clean after you strip. If not your new paint will do wild things.
Hope this helps
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Brent on November 26th 2011, 11:24 am

Thanks, that does help. Sorry for asking so many questions, I've never taken up a project like this before.
Brent
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on November 26th 2011, 11:28 am

Please...feel free. Thats what we are here for. We all help each other out, no knuckle-heads on this forum.
Painting a car is a big expensive project and it's more enjoyable when you feel confident in what you're doing.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on November 26th 2011, 6:30 pm

Feel free to ask away, if one of us can answer your question's we will , dosen't matter if it's 1 or 100!!!! like 63falcon convert said no knucklehead's here. thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brent on November 30th 2011, 9:15 pm

Alright, thank you guys for your help. I do have a few more questions:

1. Just so I'm clear, will shallow dents mess up a paint job in the future? If I can, I'd like to avoid the extra work involved with filling the dents and sanding down the filler because honestly most of them are unnoticeable (on the roof and extremely shallow). I plan on rolling Rustoleum Topside on the car, and if that will go on without any trouble, I won't bother with each and every little dent.
  2. What is the most practical way for me to stop surface rust on areas with paint chips from propagating until summertime when I can paint the car? Should I sand it down and paint it now, or is there something I can temporarily spray over it until summer hits? (Someone suggested spraying Hammerite on rusted areas--will that work, and is it a good idea?)
  3. How deep should a dent be before I try to use a slide hammer & stud welder instead of just filling them in? Is there some rule of thumb that you guys go by?
  4. Right below my driver's side window is a chip (perhaps from a window scraper) which is rusting in the middle. The rust has sunken in slightly, straight down toward the ground, only in the middle of the chip... so it's not flush with the surface of the car. Every other chip with rust I think I can sand down, but how do I get to this one?

Thanks a lot for the help!
Brent
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down