How much do I sand before primer?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How much do I sand before primer?

Post by mybu11 on December 1st 2011, 5:18 pm

I'm going to do a color change on my 01 malibu. From the presently dark blue to rustoleum's Aluminium color. I've read tons on this site but just want to make sure I have the instructions down before I take a week of vacation from work to do this. A couple questions.

1. How much should I sand down?

By what I read it seems like it'd be ok to just sand off the clear coat and scratch up the current paint to dull it out. Assuming I just have to do this:

2. What grit sandpapers do I initially use to take off the clear coat and dull out my old paint?

3. What grit sand paper before I prime?

4. Would I even have to prime in this case or just take off the clear, scratch up the paint, then use like 400grit before starting the first coat of paint?

Thanks.

mybu11
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-11-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How much do I sand before primer?

Post by cac1967 on December 1st 2011, 8:56 pm

Depending on how bad your clear is failing, if it's peeling you need to feather edge all the peeled area's,if it's not peeling, just dull or hazy I would start my sanding with 220 then go to 320.if it has peeled after you have feathered the clear,prime these area's with 2 or 3 coat's of automotive primer. the sand these area's with 320 or 400 then start your painting,We would really like to see some pic's to really get an idea of what your working on, hope this help's ,and don't hesitate to ask many question's we are a helpful bunch of great people ,as rmdhokie say's no knuckle head's here!!!!! rock
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on December 1st 2011, 11:15 pm

What cac said and I would also suggest priming the whole car with a light color primer since you are going over dark paint with a lighter color. That will make for better and quicker coverage with less paint.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mybu11 on December 2nd 2011, 2:05 pm

Great, thanks for the replies! My clear is good with the exception of my bumpers (aftermarket fiberglass body kit) that is in need of repair from cracks from being hit (once when i needed to be pushed out of water, and another when someone backed up into me and left).

If I can get all my materials together this weekend I'm starting it and taking all next week off to do this. I'll start another post over in the projects section when I start.
mybu11
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-11-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top