Body work questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Body work questions

Post by Wigglesdabum on December 3rd 2011, 3:50 pm

Hey guys I am going to be doing the roller paint job with the Topside Rustoleum paint on my F250. I am new to body work and all that but what I PLAN on doing if it is ok by you guys is this. I am going to fix the dents and do all the body work with the bondo and glazing putty around the truck and then just put primer over those areas till I can get back around to finishing the body work. I am in the Marine Corps so my time with my truck is very limited. Do you guys think there would be an issue with filling the dents and putting spots of primer on them till I can get around to sanding down the whole vehicle and putting primer on the whole vehicle? I am going to leave a tarp over the vehicle for about 5 months while I am at work in another place. I would greatly appreciate any help on this guys. Thanks.
Wigglesdabum
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Body work questions

Post by cac1967 on December 3rd 2011, 11:11 pm

That would be fine as long as you used a primer sealer over the spot'sthat you have done your body work. if you use just a laquer based primer rust would form in a few weeks,imo the tarp would hold moisture against the body of your truck so I would not use the tarp as this may promote surface rust over a long period of time, for short term this would be ok. Hope this help's!!! rock
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigglesdabum on December 3rd 2011, 11:21 pm

what is primer sealer? I am assuming it is something that locks out the moisture to the outside since I have been told that primer can hold moisture.

Should I be using rustoleum spray primer to prevent rust forminmg under the primer and paint? What would you suggest?
Wigglesdabum
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on December 4th 2011, 5:59 pm

It actually prime's the surface and give's you the protection against moisture,rustoleum make's a primer / sealer ,you can get it at most autoparts store's and I have seen it at my local wal mart the label has the primer /sealer on the label.look in wal mart's automotive section, It's a little cheaper by a few buck's at wally world.
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content