96 Suburban

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 96 Suburban

Post by leeready on January 15th 2012, 3:30 am

I put the hood back on. I sanded the fender and hood down with 240 grit again. I went down to bare metal on a few spots. I used rusto filler primer for that. For the dings I used some spot putty with hardener. Hopefully it's still not soft in the morning. I plan on getting more done tomorrow.

All these nice white paint jobs lately are tempting. Shocked
leeready
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 98
Project : 96 Suburban
Registration date : 2011-08-04

View user profile http://www.treskate.net

Back to top Go down

Post by leeready on January 16th 2012, 12:43 am

Painted the drivers side today. I woke up late today so I didn't have time to do much. I went over the car with some 200 grit sand paper. Probably a mistake since I now can see some scratches even though I painted it. I got almost full coverage in one coat. Yes, I know I put it on too thick. Oh well, that just means more wet sanding for me.

Last edited by leeready on January 19th 2012, 1:56 am; edited 2 times in total
leeready
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on January 16th 2012, 10:54 am

200 grit is too course for a final sanding prior to paint. You need to sand with at least 400 grit to avoid any sanding marks and some will say even finer grit.

Last edited by superdave on January 18th 2012, 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
superdave
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-12-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by leeready on January 16th 2012, 11:30 am

Dang, do you think I can get away with putting another coat on it and sanding it down with 400 grit to make it flat? Or do I have to go back down to the original paint? That would suck.

Here's another picture I took last night. After looking at the truck this morning I think I got about 70% coverage.

leeready
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on January 16th 2012, 12:30 pm

I sand with 400 then 600 before my first coat of paint. Anything courser and you will see sand scratches through your paint.
Your truck is really looking good. thumbs up
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1262
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on January 16th 2012, 1:36 pm

Just hit it with 600 and see what you get. You can go from there. At the worst all you would have to do is put some glaze on the scratches. I wouldn't sand the whole thing over again. Of course that depends on the amount and how bad the sanding scratches are.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by leeready on January 18th 2012, 8:11 pm

Not much of an update, but you can get more of an idea where it's going.

Lots of roller marks. It was a bad idea trying to roll black paint at night (who would have thought? Razz ). My only light source is the light you can see in the upper left hand side. I won't be doing that again that's for sure. My problem is when I get out of work it's already dark. The only time I can work on it is on the weekends.

This is with 2 coats. 3 of the fender. Not wet sanded yet. I'll wet sand it Friday and hopefully start to do some body work on the passenger side Saturday. I'm low on funds at the moment. Good news is when I put a thick 3rd coat on the fender all the scratches went away. I was doing that as a test area. Though they might come back when I wet sand. Not worried about it.
leeready
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on January 19th 2012, 9:34 pm

Lookin good, It'll look great wetsanded and buffed!!!!! thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by leeready on January 26th 2012, 2:01 pm

Thanks.

So last night I tried the good ol' roll and tip method. It came out very smooth and has lot more gloss/shine to it.

Here's a close up without sanding or compound:

I put the paint on very thick. I'll take a better picture later.

Last edited by leeready on February 9th 2012, 3:43 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Typos :O)
leeready
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on January 26th 2012, 10:29 pm

Great shine!!!! look's really good thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob69Dodge on January 28th 2012, 4:39 am

Nice work
I guess you buy your sandpaper in bulk, that's a whole lot of truck to be sanding lol
Have you done anything on the roof?
Bob69Dodge
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on January 28th 2012, 9:28 pm

Get a couple of clamp on lights and put them on chair backs or something. Even a hand held light is better than that. YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO SEE.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on January 28th 2012, 11:03 pm

retired plumber wrote:Get a couple of clamp on lights and put them on chair backs or something. Even a hand held light is better than that. YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO SEE.
Mike

At night and outside is just about the worst possible environment for painting. Get yourself a blindfold and you will be set.
superdave
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-12-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by leeready on February 8th 2012, 4:57 pm

Bob69Dodge wrote:I guess you buy your sandpaper in bulk, that's a whole lot of truck to be sanding lol
Have you done anything on the roof?
I do, but isn't that how everyone buys it? Haha...I should look into buys rolls. I think I'm good on the sandpaper for now though. About the roof: Not yet. It will probably be the last part I'll paint.

superdave wrote:
At night and outside is just about the worst possible environment for painting. Get yourself a blindfold and you will be set.
Yeah, I know. It's the only time I have. I do have some lights outside though. It wasn't as bad as I made it sound.

Here's somewhat of an update. I have about 5-6 coats on the driver's side so far. On the last coat I lightly rubbed it down with a scour pad or whatever these things are called. I did this as a test and because I got 8 of these for a dollar. I'm not in a huge rush and I'm actually having fun with this project. It makes the paint very flat and knocks down a little bit of the orange peel. It leaves very tiny scratches like 1000 grit paper would do. Not sure if this is a horrible idea or not? I thought if anything this would make the paint stick better for the next coat. I've already put another coat on it and so far so good. I actually like the flat look with the scour pad. Maybe I'm just crazy though. Very Happy

Also I ordered 3 quarts of topside gloss black. I wanted to use at least 6-7 coats with regular rusto and put at least 3 with the topside...that's why I only ordered 3 quarts. For it can have a top layer with UV protection and lay a little flatter with the topisde...thus less sanding with the final coats. Not sure if this is a good idea? Thanks for any help.

leeready
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on February 9th 2012, 4:56 am

leeready wrote:On the last coat I lightly rubbed it down with a scour pad or whatever these things are called. I did this as a test and because I got 8 of these for a dollar. I'm not in a huge rush and I'm actually having fun with this project. It makes the paint very flat and knocks down a little bit of the orange peel.
Hmmm, you might be onto something, as far as knocking down really wicked orange-peel. I started my color-sand with a 320 (or whatever was the lowest-grit "wet" sandpaper I could find - it might've even been <300...) because I didn't have the patience with 400, which I thought was the lowest advisable grit at that stage.

Looking good!!!

[/quote]
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by leeready on February 13th 2012, 3:34 pm

So I rolled 2 coats of topside. I thinned the paint too much though and got some runs here and there. It seems like topside by default is thinner than regular rusto. Not sure. Either way the next coat I thinned the paint just a little and got a lot better results. It looks like glass. I still have a lot more to paint though. This thing is a boat!
leeready
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by leeready on February 23rd 2012, 5:47 pm

Small update. Looking back the scour pads were a bad idea. They left some scratches that were pretty deep. 3M actually makes some pads just like the cheap ones I was using. They are very heavy duty though.

The only update so far is I have about 3 more coats on the driver's side and I'm just now painting the back barn doors. I sprayed them both with black rusto primer. I love the flat/primer look.

Today I should be getting my slide hammer and gallon of bondo from harbor freight in the mail. Very Happy

leeready
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by n0m4d on February 24th 2012, 4:18 pm

This is coming along good. I'm very likely going to paint my 'Burb this summer so I'm keeping an eye on your progress.
n0m4d
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 53
Job/hobbies : QA Test Dev, Autodesk, Inc.
Project : 1987 BMW 325
Registration date : 2011-09-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by leeready on May 2nd 2012, 8:54 am

Sorry for the lack of updates. The truck is painted. I just need to do the roof and put the grill back on.

Right now I'm waiting for the paint to cure a little more. I tried to wet sand the fender with 2000 and then 3000. I used an old buffing pad (and cheap) to see if I could get any shine and it doesn't look half bad. It still has some small scratches. I'll buy some good meguires pads when I get some more money. I keep you guys posted.

leeready
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on May 2nd 2012, 12:27 pm

Nice shine!
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-02-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on May 2nd 2012, 2:33 pm

That's pretty **** mirror-like!
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 77caprice on May 3rd 2012, 2:20 am

That beast is shining!! Cant wait to see it all finished.

Did you continue on with the roll and tip method or just the roller method?
77caprice
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 63
Job/hobbies : semi shade tree mechanic, online gaming, rap music production, leopard gecko care
Project : 1977 Chevrolet Caprice Classic(Laying the paint on her!)
Registration date : 2011-09-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by leeready on July 25th 2012, 5:26 pm

Sorry for the lack of updates. My computer died a while back and I couldn't log on. Thanks for the comments. No, I didn't continue with the roll and tip method. It didn't work out very good. Well at least for me. Unless I used some nice brushes and threw them away each time. I didn't have the time or money for that. After a while I gave up on rolling peice by peice. I just pulled out my wagner and sprayed the whole truck like that. I haven't wet sanded anything in a month or two. I haven't been driving the my suburban becuase I don't have it insured and I need a new inspection sticker. Sucks, I know. Right now it's glossy, but could a lot better when it's cut and buffed. For now I'll just let the paint cure (even more). Plus I can't get anything done in this crazy Texas heat! frustrated

I'll get updated pictures soon.
leeready
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by leeready on September 17th 2012, 3:59 pm

Okay, so last weekend I sanded the whole truck down with 600 and 800 grit sandpaper and decided to respray the whole truck again. I'm still working with topside gloss black. This time with a compressor equiped with an HLVP gun. Both from harobr freight. It took two full days to get everything done, but it was worth it.

Here's some pictures a day after I painted it:

Of course it rained three hours after I laid the third coat on. All these pictures were taken the next day though.

I also wet sanded all the head lights and tail lights with 800-->1000-->2000-->3000 and used meguiars ultimate compound with the good ol harbor freight buffer/sander. They all look brand new now. I'm very impressed with the way they came out. I saved a lot of money not buying new sets.

Since my bumpers were dented from a wreck (and before I got it) a few months ago I decided to rough them up with some 60 grit (with the buffer/sander) and fill the dents in with some bondo and roll rustoleum bed liner on them both. I really like the look. I'm sure some people don't...oh well. A quart did them both with three thick coats on each. Make sure you shake/stir the can up though.

I'm going to wet sand it with 2000 grit in a month and see what it looks like. Right now there's little to no orange peel. I'm very happy with it.

The buffer/sander I used. It's been running great and I've treated it like crap. The best 30 bucks I've ever spent.
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-variable-speed-polisher-sander-92623.html

Edit: I'll get some dry pictures tomorrow.
leeready
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on September 18th 2012, 6:38 pm

That looks pretty sinister. You could probably get away with adding some SS454 style red accents.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down