Wrinkles in my paint, how do I get rid of them.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wrinkles in my paint, how do I get rid of them.

Post by jwrape on December 7th 2011, 2:29 pm

Ok, I am spraying the hood of my 86 Fiero GT (Fiberglass). I bought another hood to paint and then swap on.
It was originally red. I sanded and cleaned with Acetone the hood and sprayed it perfectly.
Then, like a dummy, I went to buff it after wet sanding it. I burnt the paint. I should have waited.

Anyway, I got to fill the burn with a little Rustoleum Etched Primer. The primer wrickled up. I sanded it off, cleaned it again with Acetone and then tried again. Wrinckled again.
I sanded it and got all the paint off the hood back to the Red color. Clean sleight, I thought.
So I got it all smooth and cleaned with Acetone again and paint with straight Black Rustoleum again. It wrickles again.

What am I ding wrong, what is on this hood? It's only in the spot where I primed the hood. It seems to have something on it that Acetone won't take off.
I have bought some Den. Alcohol to try after it done drying and I sand it back down again, but I am getting tired of trying over and over without getting to good results I did the first time.

Help me get this thing clean.....
jwrape
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2011-06-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wrinkles in my paint, how do I get rid of them.

Post by cac1967 on December 7th 2011, 5:55 pm

we really need a pic of the affected area,If it's wrinkling you may be painting over a cheap enamel respray such as what maaco uses, I would like to see a pic of this area, I'm 100% sure we can figure this out!!with all the knowledge on this forum. ahhh
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jwrape on December 10th 2011, 3:19 pm

cac1967 wrote:we really need a pic of the affected area,If it's wrinkling you may be painting over a cheap enamel respray such as what maaco uses, I would like to see a pic of this area, I'm 100% sure we can figure this out!!with all the knowledge on this forum. ahhh

Here is a video of what happened and an explaination
http://youtu.be/6jkmQvPD7lE
jwrape
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on December 10th 2011, 6:41 pm

After watching the video, are you spraying this hood with rusto oil base or using the spray can? if this hood has a cheap enamel respray and you are using a laqur based paint like the primer is, it appear's the paint below it is not dryed or the laquer is pulling the enamel up thus the wrinkling, this is a common problem with laquer based paint on top of a cheap enamel( what maaco uses)laquer is a very aggressive chemical it actually bite's into the surface acrylic enamel and synthetic enamel form's a chemical bond with surface, hope this help's thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jwrape on December 12th 2011, 10:52 am

cac1967 wrote:After watching the video, are you spraying this hood with rusto oil base or using the spray can? if this hood has a cheap enamel respray and you are using a laqur based paint like the primer is, it appear's the paint below it is not dryed or the laquer is pulling the enamel up thus the wrinkling, this is a common problem with laquer based paint on top of a cheap enamel( what maaco uses)laquer is a very aggressive chemical it actually bite's into the surface acrylic enamel and synthetic enamel form's a chemical bond with surface, hope this help's thumbs up

Does this mean that the Rustoleum Spray Can paint is NOT oil based? I thought it was, i thought the oil base is what fights off the starting of Rust, etc...?

If I understand correctly, I should buy a can of roll on Rustoleum and paint it with a roller like everyone else?

I love the spray, it came out SO beautiful on the fender and the hood at first. It suck that it's not working.

Please verify for me and if I need to change I will I suppose. I have already started this monster project and want to get it done by January if possible. :-)

I guess I would have to go with the roll on paint all over since I know the rest of my car has a Maaco or some sort of paint on it. That's why I am repainting.

Here is my car now, the hood and fender I painted were extras I was working on before dismantling the body.

jwrape
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jwrape on December 12th 2011, 5:21 pm

Rolled it today
http://youtu.be/oO15XCb86W4

better, much better
jwrape
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on December 12th 2011, 9:10 pm

When that dries, wetsand with 400 to get the op out,then thin 50/50 with mineral spirit's roll two more thin coat's , wetsand with 600, then roll two more thin coat's let dry then wet sand with 600, do thi procedure till about 8 coat's , water sanding every two coat's till you reach about 1500 with wet sanding,then buff it the result's will be amazing,look's 100 percent better, glad we could help , if you have any more question's feel free to ask away thumbs up MAN THAT FIERO LOOK'S GREAT!!!!!
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jwrape on December 13th 2011, 7:14 am

Awesome Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!
jwrape
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on December 13th 2011, 7:09 pm

Acetone is like lacquer. It is a very hot paint. It will lift anything enamel that is not OEM or baked. I wiped down a couple of cars with lacquer and then sprayed enamel. I ended up having to sand it ALL off and start over. Good luck.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jwrape on December 14th 2011, 12:30 pm

retired plumber wrote:Acetone is like lacquer. It is a very hot paint. It will lift anything enamel that is not OEM or baked. I wiped down a couple of cars with lacquer and then sprayed enamel. I ended up having to sand it ALL off and start over. Good luck.
Mike

Yea, from here on out I will be using Denatured Alcohol for cleaning now.
jwrape
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jwrape on December 19th 2011, 12:16 pm

Well the Wrinkles came back again. I have no idea what to do at this point. I have painted and sanded this a dozen times now to no avail
jwrape
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top