1975 Spitfire

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 1975 Spitfire

Post by superdave on February 24th 2012, 11:07 am

63Falconconvert wrote:Looking sharp. Have you gotten any feed back from people seeing your project. I like when they say "you're painting it with a what???????"

Really only a few people have seen it. My wife is impressed that I'm saving the money. My dad thought I was crazy, but after he saw it, he thought it might work. A friend stopped by the house last night and was shocked. I'm really not "advertising" it now. I want to get through and drop the bomb on them after they tell me just how good it looks.

superdave
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-12-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rick howe on February 24th 2012, 11:30 am

Dave its looking better every day ; what color top are you going to use i had a white top but after 10 years its ready for a new one and a white or tan top looks great with the red paint. thumbs up

rick howe
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 48
Job/hobbies : the beach( retired)
Project : 72 spitfire
Registration date : 2011-07-19

View user profile http://rikiwho123@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on February 24th 2012, 11:38 am

My interior is black, and the carpet and seats are in good shape. I'd like to go with the tan for everything. I haven't decided yet. I was leaning towards the tan top anyway.

superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on February 24th 2012, 6:19 pm

Coat number 6 finished and drying in the garage.

I'm getting very good coverage at this point. Of course, I need to see it in the sunlight to know for sure. Part of me wants to roll on another coat and then call it finished, but I know I need to sand and roll on 2 more.

superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rick howe on February 24th 2012, 7:38 pm

Dave you have a garage you can always take a break and unwind don't loose focus the car is really looking great .

rick howe
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on February 24th 2012, 8:23 pm

rick howe wrote:Dave you have a garage you can always take a break and unwind don't loose focus the car is really looking great .

It's not that, I'm itching to start putting back together to see the results. I'm going to properly sand and apply 2 more coats.

superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on February 25th 2012, 4:41 pm

Pulled it out in the sun for a little "look see". Good coverage. A few dark spots (very few), but I think the next two coats will get it.

It's now been sanded with 800 and sitting in the garage waiting for coat #7 tomorrow. When it looks as good as it does in the above photos, its sure seems strange to be sanding. That's the process. It sure beats spending $2k or more on a comparable paint job.

edit: After letting it dry, I can see I need to do some more sanding. Still way too many pits from the orange peel. I'll work on that tomorrow.

superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on February 26th 2012, 2:43 pm

thats gonna be nice when its done.

oh and a sad story related to your sarcastic joke.. a friend of mine bought a beautiful 68 RS Camaro with a custom enamel emerald green paint job back in the late 70's. He would wipe it down with WD40.. needless to say after 6 months or so the paint was ruined. It did bead water good though.. lol

RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on February 26th 2012, 2:47 pm

Sanding again today. Had to go back to 600. I was too gentle in my previous sandings not wanting to remove too much thickness and now the orange peel has to completely go. I've come too far to take any shortcuts now.

superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on February 27th 2012, 7:03 pm

More sanding today after work. I've been focusing too much on finishing and getting coats on and I haven't been spending enough time on the sanding. I went down to some 400 grit in areas that I still had some pitting from the orange peel. I know it will result in more coats, but I knew that the only way I'd get a semi-smooth finish was to take it back to flat right now. I still have good coverage, but I'm probably looking at 4 more coats and not just the 2. That's 10 coats of red (plus the 5 coats of black that I started with). I realize red doesn't cover as well as some colors, so I guess 10 coats should be about right anyway. The black, I'll just still consider that primer.

superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on February 27th 2012, 9:04 pm

superdave wrote: I've been focusing too much on finishing and getting coats on and I haven't been spending enough time on the sanding.
Being able to realize that, and adjust one's behavior for it, is a talent all by itself.

I know what you mean though, I rushed to get mine "done," and still have lots of work left to do. My rationalization was/is that I will probably go back and redo the paint, and now the car looks decent enough to postpone more painting until after I can attend to more pressing mechanical issues, like needed repairs and further modifications.

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on February 28th 2012, 9:43 am

I just decided to slow down a little and not rush things. I was hitting it for about 3 hours every day (more some days). I "wasted" a lot of time with the satin black to begin with. Once I started getting good coverage with the red, I wanted to see it finished. It's sunny here today and should be about 60 degrees this afternoon. I may take a little long lunch and push the car back into the sun and do some fine tuning with the sandpaper. It's really hard to see exactly where I stand until the car is dry, and that isn't always easy when you are wet sanding. A nice sunny day should help with that.

superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on February 28th 2012, 12:10 pm

Something to try is getting a 3"x4"x1/8" thick rubber pad (3M makes them) and as you wet sand, squeegy the sanded area with the rubber pad. I keep the sand block in my right hand, squeegy in my left. This will show you if you still need to sand more.

63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1258
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on February 28th 2012, 3:16 pm

63Falconconvert wrote:Something to try is getting a 3"x4"x1/8" thick rubber pad (3M makes them) and as you wet sand, squeegy the sanded area with the rubber pad. I keep the sand block in my right hand, squeegy in my left. This will show you if you still need to sand more.

I got a small squeegy today and it helps a ton. Of course, sunshine and 65 degrees helps too, but the squeegy is the deal.

superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on March 4th 2012, 9:58 am

I took a little break from the rolling and did a couple of other things. I spray bombed the door jams. I mounted my mirrors and then removed and spayed them. I should get a coat rolled on today.

superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rick howe on March 4th 2012, 10:30 am

Hey Dave how's that orange peel removal going ; i painted my mirrors to tried black but went with the red instead it just looked better. Suspect

rick howe
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on March 4th 2012, 10:57 am

Orange peel is gone. I think I'm looking at 4 more coats, but I'm going to take my time. I painted the mirrors red. The mirrors are a knock off of the Vitaloni Californian mirrors. I'll snap a pic when I reassemble them.

superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on March 4th 2012, 4:35 pm

I put coat number 7 on today. It rolled out extremely smooth (after sanding and sanding to remove the previous orange peel). I am very happy with everything but the hood. Being a tilt front end, the hood includes the fenders too. It's such a large area that I have to work hard to keep my wet edge working. I ended up rolling back through the paint too much (it had dried too much) and it's not nearly as glossy as the rest. I had a great idea today. I had been toying with the idea of a single black stripe about 6 inches wide running down the center of the car. If I do that, I can effectively cut the hood in half as far as worrying about the large area and I think I can keep the surface wet enough to work the entire panel (half at a time).

Everything else on the car is slick. The hood is the only issue now. I'm going to let it dry and then get rid of the orange peel on the hood. and lightly sand the rest with 600. I'll lay out where my stripe will go and put on 2 coats of red. I think that will fix the problem and I was really thinking about doing the stripe anyway. It certainly fixes the issue of the size of the hood and the time it takes to totally paint it.

superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rick howe on March 4th 2012, 5:32 pm

sunny Dave what's your mix with your paint; i never had any problems with it drying to fast on the hood (bonnet) ; i would mix up a qt of paint with a pint of automotive medium reducer and a pint of mineral spirits and keep it in a sealed gal container and it always went on smooth and layed down without drying to fast. But i also painted early around 10 AM before it got to warm out and before the bugs came out ( no garage ) .

rick howe
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on March 4th 2012, 6:00 pm

2 parts paint, 1 part Penetrol, 1 part MS.

It's cool here today. Temps in the 50's. I just rolled back through it too late.

superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on March 5th 2012, 10:04 am

I would love a 50 degree day....it's 16 out right now! but it's suppose to be 61 by Wednesday........maybe spring is coming.

63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on March 5th 2012, 5:24 pm

Nice here today in nc, 52 degree's but wind's gusting to 35, not a good day to paint!!!!

cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on March 5th 2012, 7:58 pm

Pics after last coat (number 7).

Here are the mirrors. They are fake Vitaloni Californian.

I may roll a coat tonight and then sand in a couple of days.

edit: I got the 8th coat rolled tonight

superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on March 6th 2012, 8:59 am

Car is really lookng sharp. What brand of paint are you using?

63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on March 6th 2012, 9:08 am

63Falconconvert wrote:Car is really lookng sharp. What brand of paint are you using?

Valspar Farm Implement paint from Tractor Supply Co. Massey Ferguson Red. I sprayed the mirrors and door jams with cans of matching spray paint. That stuff lays out better than any spray paint that I've ever used.

superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:27 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next