1975 Spitfire

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 1975 Spitfire

Post by superdave on April 17th 2012, 3:21 pm

63Falconconvert wrote:Looks like its too thin. I did 3 costs for my final wetsand.

That's what I'm thinking too. Live and learn. I'm going to sand the trunk and put on some coats and experiment. If it comes out better, I'll just do the same for the rest of the car.
superdave
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-12-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rick howe on April 23rd 2012, 2:06 pm

Dave what kind compound and pads are you using ; but even if you cut through a couple of coats its all the same paint it shouldn't look cloudy ; it could be the paint it self i only painted in the AM when the weather was dry and no humidity .
rick howe
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 48
Job/hobbies : the beach( retired)
Project : 72 spitfire
Registration date : 2011-07-19

View user profile http://rikiwho123@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on April 23rd 2012, 4:18 pm

rick howe wrote:Dave what kind compound and pads are you using ; but even if you cut through a couple of coats its all the same paint it shouldn't look cloudy ; it could be the paint it self i only painted in the AM when the weather was dry and no humidity .

I'm wondering if it's my choice of the Valspar farm implement paint. I'm going to go with 2 more coats with hardener and try again with the buffing. I'm using Meguiars compounds and pads.
superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on April 29th 2012, 9:12 pm

I sanded it all back down smooth with 800 grit and am going to go with Rustoleum Safety Red. The color is an almost exact match and from experience here, I know it buffs out sufficiently. I don't want to keep experimenting forever with the farm implement paint.
superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on May 2nd 2012, 8:10 am

Started rolling a coat last night and quit after the trunk. I used too much hardener and it would not lay out. I'm going to sand the trunk tomorrow and start over (without hardener and with Penetrol). It's getting warmer and the paint is acting different and I'm using the Rustoleum now. I really like the color of the Safety Red better than what I had with the Massey Ferguson Red.
superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by loneagle on May 12th 2012, 10:25 pm

Dave, your car looks great and I love the bright red! What kind of hardener are you using? I'm going try the hardener again, but this time I'll paint in the early morning and use alot less in the mix.
loneagle
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2010-12-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on May 13th 2012, 12:24 pm

loneagle wrote:Dave, your car looks great and I love the bright red! What kind of hardener are you using? I'm going try the hardener again, but this time I'll paint in the early morning and use alot less in the mix.

I used Valspar hardener from Tracto Supply, but since it's getting warmer, I probably will not be using it now.

As an update, life and frustration has slowed my progress down. The Valspar farm implement paint did not polish out to suit me so I've switched to Rusto safety red and I'm struggling with getting the mix right. The hardener made it dry too fast so I quit after the trunk. I sand that and used Penetrol and MS, but i still had it too thick. The Rusto needs more thinner than the Valspar, so I sanded the trunk again.
superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rick howe on May 13th 2012, 6:23 pm

Dave i used the rusto red and did a mix of 1 qt paint 1 pint mineral and 1 pint med reducer and painted out side in the shade but the paint never dried to fast ; don't paint in the sun or humid weather . good luck rick.
rick howe
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 48
Job/hobbies : the beach( retired)
Project : 72 spitfire
Registration date : 2011-07-19

View user profile http://rikiwho123@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on May 13th 2012, 8:00 pm

rick howe wrote:Dave i used the rusto red and did a mix of 1 qt paint 1 pint mineral and 1 pint med reducer and painted out side in the shade but the paint never dried to fast ; don't paint in the sun or humid weather . good luck rick.

I'm rolling a coat now and it's doing fine. Just time for a little break. It's not hot, but I sweat like a pig and I need to cool off a little. I don't want to be dripping on the paint. I thinned the paint some more and it's good. I'm with rusto red, penetrol, and ms. I probably am at about 12 oz paint, 4 oz penetrol, and 8 oz thinner now.
superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on May 15th 2012, 9:27 pm

I stopped messing with the hair dryer to pop bubbles and just rolled the paint on, wrung out as much paint as I could in the tray, and dry rolled back across it all. It is doing so much better than when I kept messing with it to rid myself of the bubbles. If the paint is thinned correctly, they pop on their own. I wished that I had never seen anything about using the hair dryer to pop the bubbles. I was fixing a problem that didn't exist. By messing with it too much with the roller and the blow dryer, I ended up killing some of the gloss. As a bonus, it's much faster this way.
superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on May 28th 2012, 2:08 pm

3 coats of Rustoleum Safety Red over the coats of Valspar farm implement paint. I let it dry for a couple of weeks and sanded with 1000 and then 1500. Some buffing with a cutting compound and then some finish. I'm very pleased with the results. I think it will actually buff out better after it dries a month or two, but I wanted to sand and do an initial buff before I started the reassembly process.

superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike MGBGT on May 29th 2012, 7:34 am

That is coming together real nicely, I've always liked the Michelotti styled Triumphs and the later restyled rear end really suits the car and successfully brought a 1960's car into the 70's. The style of these cars have definately matured well with age unlike the horrible Harris Mann styled TR7.

Really looking forward to seeing that car when it's done, the Safety Red looks good on LBCs, once the chrome-work is back on that little Spit, it will really catch some admiring glances.

A job well done sir! thumbs up
Mike MGBGT
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on May 29th 2012, 10:10 pm

look's really good!!!! can't wait too see it finished thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on June 7th 2012, 9:20 am

thumbs up AWESOME JOB.......Man that looks great!!!!
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1261
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on June 7th 2012, 9:48 pm

Thanks guys. I'm slowly starting to put it back together. Time is tight right now so it's just a few minutes here and there. The paint is still quite soft. I found that out tonight when I "dented" the paint with a wrench. I'm going to pull it out in the sun during the day for a few days and give it a good sun bake. I thought it wasn't fully dry since it's still a bit cloudy after the buff. Luckily, it isn't a daily driver so I can take all the time I need.
superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on June 13th 2012, 9:15 pm

Slowly but surely getting it back in shape.

superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakeroadster on July 4th 2012, 8:40 pm

Awesome build. These cars are so much fun!
Lakeroadster
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 62
Project : 1965 Chevy Pickup SWB SS
Registration date : 2010-09-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by canuwoo on July 5th 2012, 7:39 pm

How difficult was it to paint the stripe?
canuwoo
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Project : 1976 MGB
Registration date : 2012-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on July 6th 2012, 6:22 am

canuwoo wrote:How difficult was it to paint the stripe?

Not hard at all. Use some quality masking tape to lay out the stripes. I used a couple of cans of spray paint to do the actual paint.
superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dave-skip-fire- on July 14th 2012, 10:12 pm

hot rod black looks good
dave-skip-fire-
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 10
Job/hobbies : playing hockey working on old cars camping canoeing kayaking
Project : 1972 triumph spit fire almost done needs a paint job
Registration date : 2012-04-20

View user profile http://dave.ertel@sympatico.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by chopperchuck on July 15th 2012, 12:04 pm

omg WOW! that turned out awesome, thanks for posting so many pictures- it stopped a lot questions i had!---chuck
chopperchuck
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 30
Job/hobbies : working on old junk--work for school dist #6
Project : 70 VW bus,48 Hudson,a few choppers
Registration date : 2012-07-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on July 23rd 2012, 3:09 pm

Some days I feel really stupid. Last night, I decided I'd paint the underside of the bonnet again. I painted it once, but with all the other painting, it wasn't looking so sharp. I had about a half a can of the satin black left from when I was trying to go that route. I thought it would be a good place to use some of it. I rolled out the underside of the hood, and went to bed. I looked at it this morning and it was very glossy. I looked at the can, and it was gloss black. I guess I picked up 1 can gloss by mistake.

Now, go back in this story to where I was trying to work out the finish using the low gloss black. I tried the Penetrol and it really laid out smooth, but it was too glossy. I thought that came from the Penetrol. In reality, the glossy finish probably came from the can of gloss black paint that I bought by mistake. I probably wouldn't have the shiny red car if I hadn't made that error.
superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on September 18th 2012, 8:20 pm

After taking much of the summer off from working on the car due to many reasons, I have gotten back to work on it. The hot weather and time did wonders for curing the paint and allowing for a good buff. I buffed the whole car again.

I'm trying to finish it up now. I'm giving it to my daughter for a wedding gift.

Last edited by superdave on September 18th 2012, 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on September 18th 2012, 8:39 pm

Looks amazing. I'm sure your daughter will love it...great gift. Is she aware of all the time you spent on this car or is it a surprise?
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on September 18th 2012, 9:27 pm

rmdhokie wrote:Looks amazing. I'm sure your daughter will love it...great gift. Is she aware of all the time you spent on this car or is it a surprise?

She and her fiance are aware of how much work and yes, they know about the gift. I told them last week. He's a car guy and at first said that he couldn't take my car. I told him that it wasn't an option. They will enjoy it. Believe it or not, this was a "throw in" when I bought my MGB 2 years ago. The guy was just wanting to move on. Of course, a free car is like a free dog. I was going to sell one of them when I finished them, but this is a better option, and I still get to drive it from time to time.
superdave
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next