1975 MGB

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1975 MGB

Post by curtis7420@sbcglobal.net on December 31st 2011, 10:14 pm

after much debating over what to do about a paint job, i found this site about a week ago and have decided to give it a try. what do i have to loose other than "$50" and some sweat. i have already spent a little over $50 on supplies, but i know i bought too much and will be returning some things by the time i'm done. i've decided to go with white rustoleum, penetrol and mineral spirits. i haven' decided the exact mix yet. the car is now "british racing green" but i'll be returning it to it's original white. it has a tan sunfast top, brown carpet and autumn leaf panels. it should look hot in white!

today, i started sanding down the car with 150 on an orbital sander. i wanted to see exactly what i was working with. i found more than i wanted to unfortunately. the last spray on paint job was absolutely horrible! and it was an everyday driver for the previous owner so it also had some wear - scratches and nicks in the paint. i found the start of rust on the rockers which is a huge concern. but, i'm not prepared to do any cutting or welding yet at this time in my life. so, i'll remove as much rust as humanly possible, put on some kind of inhibitor, do the body work and paint. hopefully this will stop the rust, or at the very least, slow it down.

this is what i started with...a 5-10 footer

can't figure out how to add pics...
C:\Documents and Settings\Curtis\Desktop\MG Exper\Exterior

Last edited by curtis7420@sbcglobal.net on December 31st 2011, 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add picture)
curtis7420@sbcglobal.net
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Job/hobbies : Education
Project : 1975 MGB Roadster
Registration date : 2011-12-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1975 MGB

Post by curtis7420@sbcglobal.net on December 31st 2011, 10:40 pm

how do i post pics? can't seem to figure it out...
curtis7420@sbcglobal.net
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on January 1st 2012, 6:36 pm

Easiest way is to upload them to photobucket, and then paste the
location into the box which pops up when you click the image icon when
posting. You can host them here, which I would rather do, but it's more
difficult.

Matt, we need a sticky thread on how to post pics here.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 598
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by curtis7420@sbcglobal.net on January 12th 2012, 8:56 pm

i have started a photobucket account...here is the link

http://s1101.photobucket.com/albums/g431/curtis7420/

two of the pics are what i started out with
curtis7420@sbcglobal.net
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by curtis7420@sbcglobal.net on January 30th 2012, 12:47 am

i have not posted as religiously here as i have on my regular site ("top contributor" there). if you're interested in seeing the progress on my MGB, please go to www.mgexperience.net . in the "forums" section on the left, go to the "mgb and gt" forum. in the "search" section section put in either "curtis7420" and look for the "rustoleum paint job...?" post. or, you may simply be able to put "rustoleum paint job...?" in the "search" and look for the post from "curtis7420", me.

i am on the 5th and 6th coat on the majority of the car and 1st and 2nd on the remainder of it. i should have that "majority" finished in the next couple of days - outside temps are supposed to reach the mid to upper 60's over the next 4 days. lots of pics there and a pretty good discussion going on (some strong disagreement over rolling on paint). my thread has over 4000 views there.

when i'm finished, i'll move my discussion over here. there's just not enough time in a day to post in both paces at this time. and i still have not learned how to attach pics to my post here, which makes it less "fun" to do. take a look at the other site and tell me what you think...i'm very interested in hearing from the experts here. thanks in advance...

quick question though:
how long do i have to wait after my last coat to wet sand and buff out? is this called "color sanding"?
curtis7420@sbcglobal.net
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content