1967 Mercury Cougar

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1967 Mercury Cougar

Post by Pierrel on January 31st 2012, 9:13 pm

First of all: great forum with plenty of helpful and skillful people!

My name is Pierre, living in sunny San Diego but originates from Sweden. My occupation right now is studies.
In december we got ourselves a little project, a 1967 Mercury Cougar XR7. This project need some minor body work and some new paint.
Finding this way of painting a car with a small budget is perfect for us. We don't count on the paint lasting forever, but right now and probably during the next 5 years we won't have the funds to do a "real" paint job.

The car itself is straight and in decent condition being a California car. The car is old meaning it has got some flaws. We were hoping it to just be some surface rust, but today when i dug into it i found that some PO have taken care of previous rust by just putting bond over it.

Unfortunately we don't own a welder, and now I'm looking for options to correct this. I know i can't just put bond over it again, because then within a year or two it will start to rut again and show in the paint.

The "racing lines" will be gone

The grey racing lines are painted, but they decided to put wide black tape over it, and then removing it causing the paint to peel off. There's plenty of things with the car that we can't figure out what the PO was thinking…

Front door

Left rear

Right rear after some grinding. What to do? I know back home there's something called "chemical metal" which would work in these situations. Anything you know of? JB-Weld maybe? I know welding is the right way to do it, and i would if i'd had a welder... Half of it is through and through into the baggage compartment.

We are still looking for the right color. We want a semi dark blue, but can't find any projects/pictures of people using Topside navy blue. We want to keep this to a tight budget, meaning Interlux Brightside colors are to expensive. We are already over 60 bucks just in sandpaper, grinder etc and no color Razz

Pierrel
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 41
Job/hobbies : Student
Project : 1967 Mercury Cougar XR-7
Registration date : 2012-01-28

View user profile http://themercurycougar.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: 1967 Mercury Cougar

Post by snafu on February 1st 2012, 1:38 pm

Nice project. We don't have nearly enough old Fords on this forum!

I'm not sure about "chemical mate", but you can purchase panel adhesive from body shop suppliers.

For the color, I would pick up an empty gallon paint can from the hardware store and mix some black in with your navy blue until its dark enough. Just make sure you have enough mixed for the whole job.
snafu
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on February 1st 2012, 3:54 pm

I would use the panel adhesive as mentioned above since those are not "load bearing areas". Also get a panel flanging tool to use on the car metal first. That allows the patch to sit flush with the original metal. You might even find a good door in the wrecking yard.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on February 1st 2012, 9:13 pm

love the late 60's cougar body style. Nice project.
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on February 1st 2012, 9:57 pm

Great looking car! Glad to see another Cougar.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pierrel on February 2nd 2012, 1:48 am

Thanks guys!
I've been looking into the rust repair today.

Currently we are thinking about getting the ACE version of the Rusto. Its supposed to be able to get it custom tinted to any color. Went to my local HomeDepot today and they were sadly not able to tint the TopSide paint.

Would it be Ok to not prime the whole car, but only the places where i either get through to metal when i sand the car, or where I've eventually put bondo ? We are looking at renting a place to do the major sanding and painting, since a apartment complex parking lot isn't ideal for sanding or paint jobs. Don't want to upset the neighbors with paint dust everywhere! Razz
Ive seen people don't do primer since the rust enamel is supposed to be "self priming", but i wouldn't gamble with not priming clean metal or bondo,

Whats your thought? Am I taking to big a shortcut not priming the whole car?
Pierrel
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on February 2nd 2012, 7:40 am

Yep, you don't have to prime the whole car. If pressed for time, just prime repair areas.
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pierrel on February 2nd 2012, 3:18 pm

Perfect, thanks!

How much would the UV rays hurt paint that doesn't have UV protective properties if you put a protective wax coat on it? The normal rusto/ace paint isn't UV protected, but should hold up just fine if taken care of.

Cant wait to start sanding the car down and paint it Very Happy
Pierrel
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by dean_af on February 2nd 2012, 3:26 pm

Nice car! I would seriously consider buying a welder. I've owned Cougars, T-birds, Mustangs and now a Falcon. Love seeing more Fords on here.
dean_af
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2011-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on February 2nd 2012, 6:43 pm

Nice! I used to have one of those! Mine was a '68.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on February 3rd 2012, 12:53 am

Man this place is full ford's and mercury's!!!!!! rock Mike is right on, get the flanging tool,and the panel adhesive as suggested by snafu.
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snafu on February 3rd 2012, 11:54 am

Since your car is white, I would use white primer so you end up with a consistant base color-wise.

You can glue in some metal from behind to create your own flanges. Then when you glue your patch in, the metal is flush. Welding is probably best, but the panel adhesive should be fine for those areas.
snafu
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pierrel on February 3rd 2012, 1:31 pm

I would buy a welder if conditions permitted, but since we are staying here for a limited time (2 yrs) and don't have access to a proper garage/workspace then I'm gonna have to do the best i can with the options i have. Later on when we go back home, the car will get the treatment it deserves. But for now we are looking at fixing the minor things and then enjoy it.

Im gonna have a look into flanging in some new metal. Its tricky though since the rust is so close to the edges of the door/fenders.

Thanks!
Pierrel
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on February 3rd 2012, 2:49 pm

I did mine by making a plaster cast of the other side, then made a fiberglass panel to replace the missing rustholes. Mine was worse - it was the entire fender lip came off and was attacking pedestrians as I drove by... I had to fix it or else...

not sure if this is visible... I have the pics public I think..

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1069240663370.2011608.1596698065&type=3

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1118131685615.2018676.1596698065&type=3
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on February 3rd 2012, 5:06 pm

snafu wrote:You can glue in some metal from behind to create your own flanges. Then when you glue your patch in, the metal is flush.
Spoken like a true drywaller.Twisted Evil
That is how you fix holes in walls, too.
RoboGeek wrote:not sure if this is visible... I have the pics public I think..

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1069240663370.2011608.1596698065&type=3

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1118131685615.2018676.1596698065&type=3.
Nope, not visible.

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on February 3rd 2012, 7:30 pm

pics worked for me, I just logged onto facebook and I was able to see them...
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on February 3rd 2012, 11:12 pm

Worked for me also.
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pierrel on February 4th 2012, 10:38 pm

RoboGeek wrote:I did mine by making a plaster cast of the other side, then made a fiberglass panel to replace the missing rustholes. Mine was worse - it was the entire fender lip came off and was attacking pedestrians as I drove by... I had to fix it or else...

not sure if this is visible... I have the pics public I think..

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1118131685615.2018676.1596698065&type=3

The pictures are visible, but the repair aint Cool
Thats really a good idea when you lack the knowledge/tools/experience to try and manufacture a new fender. Fiberglass is good stuff.

Thanks all of you for your input! It's clear that some PO have had this car repainted, and when doing so just bondoed the rust holes. Are working on doing this better than with bondo, I don't want this rust to come bit me in just a year or two.

My significant other keeps me from starting to paint the car. She said that i have to want to sand more than i want to paint before i can start. I think she has a point...
Pierrel
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on February 5th 2012, 1:25 am

No no, you don't understand. I do not have a facebook account.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on February 5th 2012, 4:44 pm

I'm not proud of it, but years ago, I repaired covered up similar holes by cleaning out the rust as best I could, treating with Naval Jelly, packing the back edge of the hole with Bondo and then mashing screen wire into it. Once it dried, the Bondo then had something to hold on to so it didn't fall out of the hole. I said I wasn't proud of it. Youth, lack of money, and imagination go a long way.

You can always cut back to good metal and treat with one of the available rust converters. Cut a repair panel out of sheet metal and pop rivet into place. A couple of smacks with a hammer on the rivets will get them low enough to fill over. If you do a decent job of forming your repair, the Bondo should be manageable. You won't hurt a thing by taking this approach because you can always grind this out and drill out the rivets for a proper repair later.

Did I ever tell you about my friend that fixed a rotten rocker panel with a 2x4 and some sheet metal? Maybe another time.
superdave
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-12-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on February 6th 2012, 2:02 am

superdave wrote:repaired covered up
LOL, you're preaching to the choir...

I built this quarter panel, at least >80% of everything below the character line which runs up and over the wheel opening, out of bondo. I did the same on the other side too. Both doors had holes at the lower front like the OP posted above, which I also filled. I did a good bit of the lower portions of the fenders, between the door and wheel openings too. I had a lot of bondo in that car.
But, like with paint, if you sand it to the proper contour, it will at least look OK.
The pic in my above post was taken within a year or two after taking it to maaco. The pic in this post was taken about 10 years after the paint. This car sat outside, the whole 15 years I owned it, and most of my "repairs" held up well, There were a few scabby edges and bulges, but nothing which couldn't be easily re-"repaired."

My typical encounter when driving that car would go like this:
Them: "Nice car."
Me: "Thanks, I built it out of bondo."
Them: "Well, it looks good."
Me: "Thanks."
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on February 6th 2012, 10:59 am

As long as a bandaid fix isn't structural, it won't hurt a thing. Just be honest when you sell the car to the next owner.
superdave
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-12-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on February 6th 2012, 4:11 pm

Darnit!!! I sold the car 2 years ago. I was honest and even mentioned all the bondo in the ad. I sold it because I needed room. I only got $600 for it. I lost around $1000 on it, (paid $500 and fixed it up) but I owned it for 4 months shy of 15 years, and put ~30,000 miles on it. I delivered pizza in it, and I drove it 60+ miles to my 20 year HS reunion. I beat a Honda Civic SI, with the fancy "VTEC" decal on the rear quarter, in an illegal drag race, with a bunch of parts in my trunk and a 200+ lb. passenger! Twisted Evil

I really wish I'd had a place to keep it. Seller took it out of state, into Kentucky. Still, I'd say I got my money's worth.

But to get back on topic, the OP's car is waaaay the hell better than what I started with.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on February 6th 2012, 6:08 pm

Was not a bad looking car tommy, "You made do with what you had to do with" and had a decent car , most every day people just look at the shiney paint and that's good enough for them!!!!
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pierrel on February 9th 2012, 12:36 am

It seems some of you guys have been where we're at, covering up some imperfections with what we have available. Id love to weld in new sheet metal, formed perfect, and requiring minimum amount of bondo. But thats currently not a thing i can do :/ One day though, i promise to make it "right"!

Think we've settled on paint today. Its going to be paint from Van Sickle (thanks snafu!), and the color will be International Blue. Almost went with Diesel Blue, but thats twice the price and not really any difference in color.

Hopefully Snafu will begin rolling his car with this kind of paint, so that i can be lazy and just copy him Rolling Eyes

Oh yea, preparing for the day to come, by buying some equipment. Got ourselves some lower grit paper as well, to roughen up the surface of the current paint.
Pierrel
Rank
Rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content