Driving me CRAAZZZYYY!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Driving me CRAAZZZYYY!!!

Post by gazza01 on February 20th 2012, 3:52 am

Hi all.
I need a little help and advice with my paint job.
I feel like I am in a catch 22 situation with this paint.
I am using rustoleum combi colour oil based gloss finish. I should also point out that I am using a roller rather than spraying, also I am looking to get a glass like finish no matter how much elbow grease it takes.
I have read so much information on these roller paint jobs and have seen some superb finishes achieved.
The car I am painting is very small (a classic austin mini) so this at least is in my favour.
I am doing something wrong but am not quite sure what. The first panels that I'm working on are the removable ones (bonnet, boot lid, doors etc) as the whether here is very cold at the moment so I have been
working in the shed and keeping the temperature a little above freezing with a heater.
I have been getting some burn through on both the bonnet and boot lid, which I have come to the conclusion is because of slight non obvious contours in the body work (as it always burns through in the same places)
I will now refrain from using a block in these areas. Another worry I have is that the underlying coat of paint seems to be darker when it burns through. I have been leaving the panels in the shed to dry enough for them to be handled and then taking them indoors and placing them near a heat source for another 12 hrs before laying on the next coat. However, when it comes to the final wetsand and polish it seems to burn through again. At that point I will be using 1000 grade wet and dry, it would be fine if I could settle for a little orange peel in the finish, but that isn't what I'm after. So, would I get a better result by leaving the paint to go off for longer, if so how long? Should I make the final 2 coats thicker or thinner. Would it be better to make the final coat 3 layers instead of 2? Should I use an even finer grade to finish. Also, why is the colour so different when burning through, do you think the paint maybe appears to get darker as it dries?
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Apologies if I have left out any obvious information you may be in need of.
P.S colour is green
gazza01
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 15
Job/hobbies : British Gas Safety assurance auditor
Project : Austin Mini
Registration date : 2012-02-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Driving me CRAAZZZYYY!!!

Post by superdave on February 20th 2012, 11:56 am

Not trying to burst your bubble, but new cars come with some amount of orange peel. While rolling is an acceptable method of applying paint, trying to get a "glass like finish" with anything short of spraying in a paint booth with modern automotive paint may be futile. When you sand deep enough to remove every trace of orange peel, you are hitting the next layer. It's a fine line of sanding enough and sanding too much. I'm sure that somebody will come in and prove me wrong, but that would be my opinion.

I'm in the process of rolling my 75 Spitfire right now, but I don't have any delusions of a show car paint job. What I'm hoping for is an acceptable paint job for my car that I don't have to spend $2000 having done. I have way more time than I do money.
superdave
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-12-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top